Originally posted on 03/03/2017:

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
can't disagree with that, there is wisdom there, what actually bothers me is that they do office bets all the time in there, they took the time to make up a contract and everyone watched, it was like a 3 month ordeal. What I'm complaining about isn't really the stiff in this equation, it's the others in the office that literally just walked away from the guy who not only didn't pay anywhere near HALF of the bet, they didn't even approach him to shame him or apply pressure, save for 1 guy who let him have it. I just think it's weird to have an office environment in which everyone knowingly bets, they make a big thing about this particular 1, it comes time to pay and when the guy stiffs everybody acts like nothing happened and it's fine.

In a weird way I'm happy the guy is such a scumbag that Trump winning was a big enough blast to his ego, and he's pathetic, but what bothers me most is that I would have paid him the $500 that I backed my family member with.
So that's fine -- now that you know what you're dealing with, you can easily avoid it.

There was a restaurant I worked at here in town (and it's always the Union houses for whatever reason) where everyone would come talk to me like I was the most interesting person they'd ever met. They all buddied up to me, told jokes, all that stuff. I got accepted into the group really quick, which is not something I ever give a shit about, I'm there to work, but it's nice since I spent so much of my day around them.

Then one day, one day out of probably a hundred at this point, somebody got passed over for a big table with a known high roller that tips huge, and it went to me. Not only that, he spent huge that day and I made a grand on that table alone. The guy who got passed over did so because he wanted to leave early and got cut a half hour before the guest came in. His fault 100%.

Nothing was ever the same since. They all turned on me at once. Time healed wounds, and they semi-forgot about it and tried to get friendly again, but my answers became real short, and I would always leave the conversation early. It drove them nuts that I didn't want to be a part of their little misery circle, and even later when they tried to friend me on FB, and I only accepted the most miserable cun+ out of all of them just to watch him whine every week.

Sucked, because you want people you can BS with and air your frustrations out with at work, but removing myself from it altogether was pretty awesome because it pissed them off more, and it exposed them. It's hard since you like to bet, and are probably better at it than them too to boot so it's also an ego thing, but they're gonna miss you when you're not part of their shit anymore, and it's the only way they're ever gonna learn. Just is.