Originally posted on 11/04/2015:

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
Simple, he got shit done that helped minorities, he helped the little guy.

I have a gay aunt that fought her whole life for marriage equality, she lobbied supreme court justices, she was ridiculed by republican law makers ( a woman in her 70's) who grew up gay when it wasn't cool, or acceptable, and he nominates Kagan and Sotamayor to the bench and both vote for marriage equality rights for gays. That was a huge day for a lot of Americans that spent their entire life being ridiculed for their sexuality and Obama made this a priority of his. He helped real people here. His administration also repealed don't ask, don't tell.

He grew the EPA and attempted to expand their powers to shut down some of the dirtiest power plants in the US.

He opposed the Keystone XL Pipeline.

I support his health care reform because at the very core of it, is the interest of people that don't have a voice, the underrepresented that fall through the cracks.

Dwight I understand you may not agree with why I like Obama and we could literally debate his policies for weeks, and honestly I'm not interested in that. Everything I mentioned above has been debated and the dead horse beaten, throw global warming in there. I'm not interested in debating it anymore.

It all comes back to this is the first president I remember that actively fought to improve the quality of life for Americas lowest class, the minorities that often get drowned out of the conversation in American politics. He took a stance on the Trayvon Marin shooting, I liked that. Many didn't, they think that racial tension is worse now under him that it ever has been, but is it because of him or is it that he empowered black people to have a voice? I have my opinions and we probably disagree.

But you asked why I like him and that's why.
ok fair enough. You answered.

You do know that minorities are worse off since Obama took office? The black unemployment rate is higher today than it was when he took office. He introduced the highest tax increase on the middle class in US history. Obamacare. Aren't your deductibles going up 61% this year? How can a government force someone to buy something I don't understand? Surely there must be a plan that all politicians can agree with instead of the other side vowing to replace it at every chance? Surely he could have lead the way and worked with both sides and designed a plan all would support. That would have been a huge step for the rest of his presidency.

As far as the gay thing goes, you do know Obama was against gay marriage until very recently? Didn't the Supreme court make that ruling 5-4? For the record, I am not one of these guys who criticizes every flip flop or evolution a politician makes. I think gays have as much right to be miserable as married couples. It was only a matter of time anyways. Why fight it I say. I don't think Obama gets any credit for that however. He just happened to be potus when it did. We can agree to disagree on that.

As far a Treyvon goes, I am not calling Obama racist, but didn't he involve himself in a couple different instances over the years? All young black men? Not to mention the older black professor and Beergate? Isn't he supposed to be the president for all people not just African americans? Surely you can understand how that is perceived?

That's my 2 bits.