Originally posted on 04/16/2015:

Quote Originally Posted by fitguy67 View Post
i'll add that one to my "witty painful-genitalia metaphors useful in a gambling context" file, along with EP's "i'd rather put my dick in a pencil sharpener" line (probably about betting on a Chardy-match)...

problem with dogs playing well enough to force a deciding set in tennis, i find, is exactly analogous to a dog in college hoops getting into overtime against a heavily-favored opponent...seems they're satisfied with the consolation "victory" of surprising most with a creditable performance... and very often fold with little resistance at the business end of the contest

funny how these tennis dogs will fight like hell to not get straight-setted...then, once that's done, seem to be quite ok with/almost welcoming of the loss (often of the bagelled/breadsticked variety)...

take-home lesson: next time I think "simon at plus-odds" instantly visualize "ice picks" and "pencil-sharpeners"
I understand where your coming from, but Ferrer makes you work for everything. It eventually takes it's toll, especially against someone similiar in playing style. It took all of what Simon had to win that 2nd set breaker. He had little left physically for the 3rd set. It had little to do with accepting defeat. Guys like Nadal and Ferrer have been wearing/grinding players down for years now. That's how they make a living.