Originally posted on 12/17/2014:

I agree with Obama on this. Long over due.

Obama announces historic overhaul of relations

12:13 - "I do not believe we can continue doing the same thing for over five decades and expect a different result," President Obama said of the Cuban embargo.
imprisoned American
12:10 - Despite normalized relations, President Obama said he still wants to support increased freedoms for citizens there. "I do not expect the changes I'm announcing today to bring about a change in Cuban society overnight," he said.

12:06 - Obama argued "isolation has not worked" in 50 years. He said more could be accomplished through engagement.

12:05 - The President said he had been ready to ease portions of the embargo "for some time," but that Gross needed to be released before he could move forward.

12:04 - President Obama said the U.S. embargo policy is "rooted in the best of intentions," but noted the Castro regime is still in power. He argued the U.S. is not well-served by a "rigid" policy in place longer than he has been alive.

12:02 p.m. ET - President Obama said the U.S. would "end an outdated approach" toward Cuba with eased sanctions.
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/17/po...an-gross-deal/