Originally <a href='/showthread.php?p=22154139'>posted</a> on 06/28/2014:

Quote Originally Posted by BiTeMe UsAdOj View Post
While I appreciate your analysis, James, and much sense is contained within -- in actuality -- all Ivey is doing in this hand is chasing the nuts. Which is fine, but he doesn't think he has the best hand while calling, as evidenced by not calling the riv bet (ultimately).

IMO, Dwan is the only one that played the hand great; for Ivey to have played it great, he would have had to do something along the lines of what Jeff was saying; or simply, ultimately figure out Dwan there... call & win. Which made that particular posted hand seem incongruous if trying to illustrate how great Ivey is (Sho says it wasn't to make a point, fine, accepted. But it could be interpreted as coming across as such... especially when using the phrasing "speaking of which")

We can all agree Ivey is an indisputably great player while disagreeing on how "great" he played this hand.

Yeah, a classic one for the ages. Not that analogous to this hand tho, IMHO, for a few reasons.

Yeah... I mean, I would not be dumb enough to argue that Ivey was not a great poker player. He obviously is. But you're giving way too much credit to Ivey there if you call it a great play. It would have been a mirror image play of a complete donk. They would have played the hand identically, except the donk would have folded on the river faster.