Originally posted on 06/25/2014:

Sometimes life takes a spontaneous break and removes us from reality. Today was one of those days. Ice Cube talked about it a few years back when the smog left LA and the dogs stopped barking. Today was one of those days where I realized how amazing it is to be a baseball nut in this decade and live a few blocks from ATT Park.

Put life on hold for a bit and jogged down to the yard after the 7th inning of the game. On the way I saw several people who had left the game and were off to whatever they felt was more important than seeing a potential no hitter in person. At ATT Park they let you watch the game from behind the right field fence for a few innings. I had never bothered to go down there until today.

I made it right as they were kicking people out after the 7th inning to let new fans in for the last few innings. Got lucky with my timing because had I arrived 5 mins earlier I'd have missed the end. So I got a spot right in front about 25 feet from Pence.

The rest was history. It was a moment where a bunch of people going about their lives gathered together in a little hut behind the park and became one. Normally we'd all be avoiding eye contact and speaking to each other in an elevator somewhere. But today we were high fiving, cheering, praying and celebrating together. We'll never talk or see each other again. But today we were family just for a moment.

The last few innings were perfection. Bud Black, a prideful son of a bitch, did everything he could to avoid getting no hit 2 years straight. He walked Lince on purpose. He made an unnecessary pitching change. It was a game within a game that true baseball fans didn't even know was happening.

Then, in a moment of serendipity, the clouds formed above and it started misting right as the 9th inning was starting. As if the heavens created the perfect environment in which to pitch for a kid from Renton, Washington.

Then the last ball hit the ground on the way to Joe Panik, a rookie spending his first week ever in the big leagues, to close it out.

One of the days today. A day where I'm glad I have a life where I could be around to book it to the park to catch some history. A day where I was reminded that I care soooo much more about this sport than I do about picking winners. Shitt, I'd trade every penny I have ever made gambling for another one.

A final prayer for some of the clowns I saw scurrying out of the game early. May there be another life after this and may the Universe awaken their souls to live it.

Attachment 70081