Originally posted on 06/01/2014:

I'm an avid dog lover. The Mrs. and I have two rescues that we love more than our families

So, any time a stray wonders by, I at least try to look for tags and return it/them to their rightful owners. We've even taken dogs in for a week before finding the owners.

Today, I see two strays in a back yard two houses down, realize they don't belong there but also that I've seen them over the last two weeks in the same yard. So I verify they don't belong to the owner of the house and then go check on them. It's 95 degrees here today and there was no water for them, so I gave them a big bowl of ice water and some food, in my neighbors yard of course

Anyways, they both have raw sores on the base of their ears, with some flies on them. Anyone know what this could be? I tried to put some neosporin on them but the one dog bolted on me and spooked the other, and it ran away. I know I can lure them close again with snacks and they don't seem anxious to bite. So does anyone have any ideas on what the sores are and what I could do to treat them?

I called my vet and they said without seeing the dog, they won't give any advice. Understandable. So my next best idea was to come here.