Originally posted on 01/16/2014:

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
Aussie papers have been laying down some lofty expectations on the state of Australian tennis with Kyrgios and Kokkanakis both showing some skill ... and HEART. They are easy to like vs. a schmoe like Tomic.
That's the part that would worry me about making bets on either of these matches. The media here go crazy and it's like they forget how young and relatively inexperienced these guys are. Even with Ebden. He's pissing and moaning today and it's like they build these guys up to a point where it almost seems like the players start to believe it a bit. They did the same thing to Tomic and of course have turned on him now but if he had pulled off a miracle against Nadal, they would've been so far up his ass they'd suffocate. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic but I think it's a really big ask to expect a kid like Kokk to even take 5 games off of Nadal. Even ignoring the obvious gap in talent and experience, I think the hype of the occasion will overwhelm him. I'd love for him to prove me wrong though! Either way I think Aussie media needs to calm the f down a bit but of course that'll never happen.