VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

College Basketball Game of the Season - Thursday, January 2nd

Originally <a href='/showthread.php?p=20733706'>posted</a> on 01/02/2014:

Hello guys. I only tend to post plays when I have something really strong and this one just so happens to be a team and school that I know all too well, as my biggest play of the season will be on my alma mater (URI) against an in-state rival (Brown). Very, very interesting matchup tomorrow in Providence, especially with the potential weather that might not even allow this game to go off. I know Providence very well and it's not easy to get around there in the snow. The gym could very well have more URI fans, as they've always traveled better then Brown fans to begin with. School is out of session and Brown has very few students from Rhode Island. On the other hand, URI is filled with local kids that will most certainly be around and most likely attending this game. That's just one small aspect. Now the hard numbers:

I use Kenpom a lot in handicapping (as does everyone else) and it's an absolute shame that Brown is ranked almost in the Top 150 in the national rankings. The Bears are 6-5 with three of their wins coming against 3 of the worst teams in the COUNTRY (Longwood #325, Binghamton #340, UMass Lowell #349) and they've also managed non-conference wins against two sub-250 schools in Sacred Heart #281 and Central Connecticut #265. It's pathetic. They played no one. The most difficult game on the schedule thus far has been vs. another in-state rival Providence (#78) in which they lost by 4 at the Dunkin Donuts Center. Rhode Island has played a very competitive schedule and has shown some improvements under second year coach Dan Hurley. They have some great ball handlers (despite their turnover issues early in the season) and a team that is more focused defensively then the Jim Baron days. It's a different brand of hoops in Kingston and it's allowed Rhody to stay in games. Rhody's wins are nothing spectacular at all, along the same lines as Brown. They've beaten up on a lot of sub-250 teams but they've taken on some real challenges this season too. They went to Arizona, they went to SMU, they went to a much improved Detroit. All loses but all progressively better efforts since the Nov 11th beatdown by SMU.

Xavier Munford is living up to the hype that he's the future for Keaney Blue. After a slow start shooting the basketball, he's really come on nicely with some three point touch and rebounding. The Sophmore is averaging 15 ppg and leads the Rams in scoring. Freshman E.C. Matthews is averaging 11 ppg and has shown ability to take over stretches of games. Both of these squads will rely on defensive and ball control, which makes these points even more valuable. This isn't the same 'ole Rhody from a few years ago, the Run n Gun style that didn't play any non-conference competition under Jim Baron. These are the new Rams, defensively minded and willing to play those grind it out games. Young team, young coach but an ever improving squad. Give me the points here and let's hope the blizzard doesn't cancel this bitch

Rhode Island Rams +4.5 (-110)

cruzing vato
    cruzing vato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

Blizzard hits and brown rolls. Brown -5