Originally <a href='/showthread.php?p=20228372'>posted</a> on 11/12/2013:

POINTS TO NOTE FOR NEWBIES BETTING THE NBA

1) The first and foremost point to anyone who is venturing into sports betting,and wants to sustain in the long run and make money is managing your bankroll. Anyone who has made decent money in sports gambling has always avoided giving into temptations completely and betting according to a specific method. If you are new and are thinking of betting for the entire season,please keep in mind that the season is very long and if you stick to a good management system,you will eventually make money in The NBA,and in sports betting.Please remember that you cannot break the bank in a day,but you can slowly and steadily withdraw the funds. If your bankroll is $ 1000 for the entire season,do not bet more than 5% of it on a single play,i say 5% because if you are following a good handicapper then chances are that you will be in the black when the season ends,but sticking to a good bankroll management is a key aspect of being successful.

2) Be Careful of who you choose to follow. If you do not have much knowledge of the sport and want to bet it,please see to it that you have a legitimate person with a proven record who you are going to follow. I have never been against the word 'Tout' or people who charge for their plays,although i personally have never,it is for them to know what they are worth and if they are winning and you are winning,there is absolutely no harm in paying them a % for their hard work but then again credentials should be verified and only if you find them trust worthy should you take their packages or whatever they have to offer. Even otherwise,there are good cappers who just love the sport and post plays,have an eye for them and follow them and be careful from those handicappers who vary their unit sizes to win bets after a few losses,for they are chasing themselves,what winners would they give you?

3) Never chase Losses : This is one of the most important aspects of betting in the NBA and in sports in general and if you happen to bet on a sports book that offers live odds in play,you have to be doubly careful.It is very easy to be swayed away and chase losses.Believe you me,in 8 years of betting basketball,I have NEVER and i mean EVER chased a single bet. My thread stands as my proof of betting and have a look at it completely and show me ONE play where i have posted a play and chased it if i found that it was lagging behind after halftime.May be that is why i have made money.It is very easy to find the odds enticing and if you see the line dropping from where you have placed a bet,you can get carried away and start chasing losses,remember you are not going to fool anyone doing that but yourself. If you are tailing someone,and bet what he posts,just place the bet one time and forget about the game.DO Not chase,for no matter how good a handicapper you follow,once you chase,you become an automatic money magnet for the books.

4) Understand the Sport : You might be fine just following somebody and placing money on their knowledge,fair enough,but it is very important for you to learn and understand the sport yourself. For example if you are betting totals mostly,you should be aware what it takes for the bookmakers to set a line,player injuries,their form,back to back meetings,travel,role of refs,everything comes into play. In the free time you have go through a couple of websites and find whatever information you can get on helping you to understand the sport better.

5) Have Patience : I have noticed it many times that in the long season people run out of patience very soon and especially if the are tailing a particular handicapper.There might be days when they do not post plays for whatever reasons,if you are following them,try not to look for action on that particular day and risk making blunders that would harm your bankroll. Spend time with your family,go out and enjoy a few drinks with friends,watch that favorite movie on the rack,play a sport you love,take a woman on a date,there is so much.Life does not start and end with betting and the sooner you realize this,the better you would be.

6) Bad Beats are a part sports betting : Be aware that there might be days when you would be on the right side of a play and some days where a winner goes down the drain because it goes into over time. Do not rejoice when you win a bet that way and do not cry if you lose it for they will eventually even out in the end. I have had numerous bad beats in my entire duration as a sports handicapper and sometimes i would scratch my head and feel what better could i have done to cap the game the way i did,but remember at the end it is gambling and one can never control the outcome,so the day you have such a bad beat,relax take it in your stride and move on to the next day.

7) Appreciate : This is very basic actually and does not need any explaining as such.If you are following somebody who put in hard work to help you,taking out a minute and saying thank you is not going to hurt or alter your ego,the more you are thankful for,the more you will attract and achieve,basic principle of life.

8) Lastly enjoy what you do : If you are betting basketball,make sure you enjoy watching the sport,after all we need the thrill and the excitement to keep things going,place a bet,open that chilled beer,sit back and watch it,sometimes it can be the most relaxing and rewarding experience. Enjoy it.

Good Luck to all of you for the season,Hope this helped. Any questions and/or opinions are welcome.

Cheers,

Laker_crazy