Originally posted on 10/26/2009:

I've rewatched the fight twice and I still come to the same conclusion Shogun won. Rounds 4 and 5 should be without question to Shogun. I also think Shogun had round 1. Round 2 is a tossup and I gave a slight edge to Machida in round 3. So at worst it was 48-47 Shogun.

When 99% of the fighters, media outlets, writers, etc have one guy winning and it doesn't go that way, it has to be considered a bad decision. Shogun was the aggressor, did more damage and landed more strikes throughout all of the rounds.

Beating the champ BS is such a horrible unwritten rule. If a guy wins the fight he wins. Especially vs a guy like Machida. He is a patient counter-striker who waits to pounce. This "beat the champ" rule is tailor-made for him as he is most often back-pedalling or countering. So basically, someone will have to finish him to take the title because of his style. So you gotta be wreckless and go for the kill against a counter-striker...nice gameplan. This is one of the most painful carry-overs from boxing.

Anyways, I can't wait for the rematch. It was an amazing display of technical striking.