Originally posted on 06/14/2013:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/87...blind-1339857/

There's another discussion about it. Curiously, the opinion is split between calling & shoving.

You aren't trying to get a call when you shove, you're hoping to get a fold and create dead money vs the short stacks wide range. One thing I don't like about these questions is you're depending on someone else's read and definition of "pushing the table around". Is he a maniac with like a 50/40 line who could likely only be flatting with 99+ or is he a 40/2 station type who calls with half the deck and turns bet crazy on the flop? That makes a huge difference. I'm making my play based on the assumption he's calling with big range there and only calling my shove with a small amount of hands. And fwiw, we have blockers to AA, AK, and QQ which dominate us. The tighter he is w/ his 2nd calling range relative to his original calling range, I suppose the more of a case you can make for calling and reevaluating to the point where if you think the CO's calling range is that tight, we may even want to consider folding as nitty as that sounds.

As far as checking it down, yea it does happen in tournaments, but its over rated except in times where you can move up in the prize structure. I don't consider 70 away from a 1.5x buy prize one of those times. The reasons why we bet are to (1) get worse hands to call (value bet) (2) get better hands to fold (bluff) (3)to collect dead money (4) when we have a value hand and we want to prevent it from getting outdrawn.

If the flop is something like 733 with two of your suited cards or something like AT9, you check, and he fires, you're going to have a tough time laying that down. More often that not if you flat vs an aggressive player with a big chip stack, you are going to whiff on the flop, check, and he is going to fire. I don't really want to play passively to min-cash here. If the min cash is like 15k then it's a little different. I do think that flatting with the hope of a friendly check down the worse play...though the guy flat calling the short stacks shove with JJ is kinda puzzling