Originally posted on 06/08/2013:

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiefalconfan View Post
Hey sando when you get back I have a question..

Being a professional bettor how did you apply for a house/unit when you first started doing it full time?

Also what advice would you give to someone whos about 1 year into his adventure of being a full time capper?
Im not a pro mate, I like to think of myself as semi-pro but even that's debatable?

Don't own a house, I rent my sister's house in a shitty area of Adelaide to be honest. I did own a house outright (no home loan) 4 years ago, but I sold the house and put the entire amount into the stock market, as the markets started rebounding from the GFC on what appeared to be a sharp V pattern. Long story short I did really well for the first 6 months and then lost a massive sum of money on Metal Storm (AUS defence technology company), which was the beginning of the end for me.

I used to trade on Soccer, Tennis and NBA on Betfair and would regularly have anything up to 4K in play on a single event, however I am nowhere near that these days and am slowly "rebuilding" my bankroll.

Oh and I have a job like most people, work anywhere from 20-60 hours a week, but have tons of free time at work which is where I do the bulk of my research, and I don't really sleep much either so that helps too.

As far as advice, I've got two books you should read, I've just got to find them and I'll pm you the titles. I've read about a dozen books on poker, 9 or 10 on finance and 4 on sports betting and there are two that really stand out, just can't remember the names at the moment?

People who tell you that "you can't win at sports betting" are simply ignorant. Of course you can, but you have to put in work. Lots of work! its actually like a job, there are no easy winners - old army saying "the seven P's" sums it up perectly - Prior Preparation and Planning, Prevents Piss Poor Perormance.

Also you need two things.
1. You need a high level knowledge of your sport/s of choice
2. You need to understand sports betting (which many think they do and very few actually do). It's a very complex subject and if you find the right book you (the average sports bettor) will realise how much you actually don't know.

Oh and money helps too. You need money to make money - so true...