Originally posted on 06/08/2013:

My 2 cents on being a pro - agree with Sando that you definitively can make a living doing this. But it's hard work and at one point you have to ask yourself tough questions. I got into sports betting to supplement my income while I was studying. Mostly NBA & rugby league. The best part was the lifestyle. Free time when I needed it, being able to focus on my grades and rewarding myself with overseas holidays. Sure beat waiting tables or delivering pizzas.

After my degree ended I took time off to go for it full time. Got into a groove & at one point & I was betting thousands $$$ a week across several books. It was a hell of a ride. Some incredible moments. I've seen it all: huge payouts, burials, half point losses, miracle covers, you name it. But I lost control. With every massive win I almost got buried the next time & after cashing one particular close call (that would've wiped out) I was so sick I had to lie in bed for a couple of weeks. Literally was too exhausted to leave the house. From then I began to cut back, got my mind & body straightened out and only bet on sports as a hobby these days. Still have a lapse every now and then, gotta admit.

The downside when you gamble for a living is the stress. It never ends once the season starts because there's always the next game & you can't get complacent. It can send your life out of balance & one day you end up at a party where you realise you're out of touch with everyone. While they're talking about real life stuff, all you have to show for yourself is spreads, totals and isolation. Nurses, accountants, even the guy at the supermarket, contribute to society in some way. Gamblers don't.

The best advice I can give anyone is: You have to learn to control your own greed. The books win in the end because the house edge is structured in their favour to and most guys will chase losses into oblivion. The sample size in sports in small compared to other forms of gambling but if you project the results after thousands of bets at -110 (or $1.90 for Aussie punters) you inevitably get killed. No disrespect to any of the top cappers here, but always remember the real skill & talent is displayed by players on the court, not by someone betting money on them.