Originally posted on 05/26/2013:

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
Whenever you get a chance str,

Down the road I'd love to invest some money in small % ownership in some horses. How does one go about getting into this game, and how much money would I need. What's you're advice to someone with these interests? Im 28 now, So I'm talking about maybe 10 years down the road, but I was just curious to hear you're thoughts and this possible endeavor...

Thanks
Owners have gotten very savvy and creative in the last 10 years or so with putting together partnerships and forming syndicates. Some of these can be very reasonable price wise. Others however can be unfair to the investor.
You have to do your homework, just like with any investment . It's never too early to educate yourself on this subject. Now, several years before doing so, might be the perfect time to look around. The internet will provide you with plenty of info as well as blood-horse magazine as well as others. Next time you visit the track with live racing, go to the information desk usually located near the main clubhouse entrance and ask them where the horseman's office is located ( HBPA, Horseman's Benevolent Protection Assoc.) or in Maryland it's the MTHA, (Md. Thoroughbred Horseman's assoc.). Whatever . It is a place where they probably have magazines, and some literature on ownership. Talk to the person working there and tell them what you are thinking of doing. They should be able to point you in the direction of plenty of info and research.
Many syndicates form on a yearly or bi yearly basis. They often times purchase yearlings or two year olds and work within that type of model for a two year period. Those can be fun, with the dream of a good horse, but I want you to be careful if that route is the one you choose. You should try and find one that has money within the purchase price for ALL bills, like vet, shipping, etc. already structured within it. You should avoid future out of pocket expenses if at all possible.
As fun as those might be, sadly, there are a lot of crooks within those types of syndicates, just like any other business. You REALLY need to be careful Kid. I would be happy to help you figure all this out if you need help.
I assume you live near Louisville. That may be way off. But if you do, there is no substitute for being near the track you have a % interest in and seeing the horses first hand, in the morning, with your trainer, or partners. This is the ultimate experience for a person that loves the game. I would look hard in that direction if it is possible.
If you were able to afford one horse at a time, with say two or three other guys, and claim horses, that is also a great way to get involved. Not as much action, but you don't need to have horses running all the time if you have access to the backside in the AM and the races in the PM. I had many an owner that did it that way and loved it.
You will need to only use money that you consider disposable income. Not that you can't make money, but just like betting games, if you really need it, it seems tougher to win than if you just relax and enjoy it and let it happen. You can estimate vet bills, per diem costs, shipping , etc. prior to claiming the horse so there are no surprises once in it. All that requires is finding an honest trainer to work with. That might be a tall order for most, but you have me, and you can bet your ass I will tell you the proper questions to ask. Because I already know the honest as well as the dishonest answers, it won't be that hard at all. That along with still knowing plenty of people in the game at certain tracks, I will make sure you find a good, honest, trainer. There are plenty of them out there although public perception seems to say otherwise sometimes. And sometimes I can't blame the public for that.
It's like a wise old groom Mr. Berry said when I was green as grass and a hot walker. The games on the level, it some of the people in it that aren't . Lol.
Keep me posted Kid, I think that if you decide to do it, you will be real glad you did.