Originally posted on 05/09/2013:

Quote Originally Posted by ronniejamedio View Post
There is no way to completely fix a game, but who's to say a few things cant be thrown in to help a game go one way? Just my opinion and things sometimes look to work that way. It has been done in the past. A football player was paid to fumble the ball once ( cant remember who). That is obviously not going to determine the outcome of the game but it sure favors the other team. In this game, the juice went from 0ver 8 -120 to over 8 -105. Then something goes the way to favor that outcome. Dont be fooled if you think fixed games do not exist. And I'm not claiming this game had a fix in, but would not rule it out either.
I didn't say that no game had ever been fixed, or that fixed games don't exist (and i disagree that there is no way to fix a game absolutely). I'm saying that it doesn't make much sense to think that this is that way that a game would be fixed (i.e., waiting to have 2B ump blow this call in the 9th). If you wanted to fix this game with an ump, you'd do it with the home plate ump, as his calls affect every play. Also, and I can't stress this enough, the time to sway a game isn't with two outs in the ninth with a call that's clearly not supported by the objective replay evidence. The position of those who believe that a fix occurred is: (1) Hernandez was bought off to fix the game (either for the under or Tribe ML), (2) people in the know about the fix put a ton of money on the under and/or the Tribe, (3) Hernandez didn't have to do anything until Rosales' deep ball, as the Tribe was winning and the game was under, and (4) Hernandez sprung into action and decided the game for the benefit of Tribe and under backers, subjecting himself to endless public ridicule for a terrible call. If there was, in fact, a lot of money involved, that seems like a pretty tenuous plan to me.

Every notable bad beat leads to a thread or two on SBR about the fix being in. I'm not naive enough to think that fixes don't exist, but frankly, looking at the facts here and assuming fix seems a bit naive to me. Also, 15c line moves on MLB totals occur simply because of a player or two being out of the lineup (or playing when they were not expected to play).