Originally posted on 02/19/2013:

Quote Originally Posted by numismatist View Post
Pretty ballsy to call a blowout in this game, probably the biggest of the season for both teams. I lean St Louis too but I really can't see a blowout. You mentioned all the good things about the Billikens but VCU is no slouch either, St. Louis might have some troubles with their press and I think VCU is going to try to up the tempo and get some turnovers. Good luck to you!
Yes, I am aware VCU will press... and try to get the tempo at a fast pace. I menitoned that in my write up. But SLU is a veteran squad. They are ready.

Mitchell, Jett, and McCaul are excellent, veteran guards, strong ball handlers, all point guards that can also play the #2 as well. And their passes to good hands #3 types like Evans, Barnett and Ellis to break the press will get them out of any trouble if it happens. SLU is 10-deep and will weather the storm, the press, and actually wear down VCU. VCU will be frustrated that their press does not work, disrupt their game plan and psyche.

And again, SLU rotates 5 bigs, none are outstanding, but they find the weakness... Loe 6'11", Evans 6'5" (long-slasher), Ellis 6'8", Glaze 6'6" (muscle), Remekun 6'8" all look for the seams in the "D". 6'11" Manning might see some time, it depends on the matchups. Loe and Ellis are European style (NZ and Australia), hit the 3's, but when there is opportunity, they post up and make 'em pay in the paint. When it is there, they exploit it, and I think VCU is vulnerable to SLU's wave of bigs.

A 2nd half bet on SLU is another option I will probably elect.

I have SLU - 3 big but will get down some lighter wagers with larger spreads with "plus juice" if offered later. I would take SLU - 8 for a good plus juice opportunity, maybe a little on them - 10. It depends.

To boot, though it is for first place (at this time) in the A-10, IMO it is a bigger game for SLU than VCU. They have more to prove and have a chip on their shoulder. VCU has played some bigger games, not too impressed with SLU, is more certain of their fate, even looking to the NCAA's, etc. NOT going to roll over... don't get me wrong. But HUGE game for SLU, several key seniors and juniors want to fulfill the Majerus legacy, do not want to let the opportunity pass. They do not want to lose then go on the road at Butler Friday and make that a MUST game.

(I have done well going with and against, following SLU, Illinois, and Missouri. Illinois is on a run, too, Griffy is their key player and he suddenly has confidence, hitting his shots, aggressive, they are on an NCAA Tourney run. I have been riding them last 3 after Indiana; they played well, it was not just an Indy letdown. MU had a drought when the Haith investigation re-opened, the kids faltered, but only for 4-5 games, now they have their heads on straight again. Kinda. I lean to MU + 5 tonight but probably will not wager. I will probably be on Illinois again next game, TBD).