Originally <a href='/showthread.php?p=16402862'>posted</a> on 10/16/2012:

Quote Originally Posted by RogueScholar View Post
Lou,

What do you mean by "say what you will about New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie"? I don't think the G.O.P. has had someone as successfully moderate as he is since Reagan. He admits that his "default" position on abortion is/was "pro-choice," even though he can't say that anymore until he secures the nomination in 2016. When asked if homosexuality is a sin, he replied:

He wants to stop incarcerating non-violent drug offenders in lieu of treatment/rehab. He seems to have a real dedication to green/renewable energy sources over oil and coal. He's a proud Catholic but doesn't allow those values to influence his philosophy on governance. He doesn't even buy into the nation-building argument for keeping the military engaged in the Middle East.

Idealogically, of course, I'm a staunch Libertarian. Pragmatically, however, I'm something of a Reagan Democrat. The Republicans have a lot of good ideas about personal responsibility and smaller government (even though in recent years those cries are total lip service) and if they ever got off their Christian high-horse I'd probably send some support their way.

This guy is your first, best hope at taking your party into the new century. Learn to love him early, if he stays this way I think he'll have my vote in four years.
he has also been nothing short of a trailblazing pioneer in terms of advocating for freedom of food

he introduced the Defense Of Marinara Act for one, and two, not only single-handedly prevented a state ban on funnel cakes, but then kick-started a state initiative to get funnel cakes offered for sale on every other block in NJ, yes with use of public funds which some may see as hypocritical in light of his supposed stance as a cost-cutter, but his freedom of food advocacy is unrivaled