Originally posted on 10/12/2012:

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
I have no problem with Ryan asking for money. I think it's very easy to judge as a bystander but when he is sitting face to face with his constituents and is also relying on them to keep him employed, many people - including myself maybe - would find it hard not to go to bat for them whether for purely self-preservation purposes or because maybe the human element got to him a little as well. Or maybe he even quietly believed in some of those programs back then... in fact he could now for all we know. I really don't trust what any of these guys say on either side so nothing's that surprising at this point.

I was more trying to figure out why you had thought what Biden did was classless and lowbrow yet were justifying Ryan's actions as those simply of a politician. We do differ on one point though - I do think the content of the letters Biden mentioned and the other ones that he didn't but are now getting more airplay in the media tpday might damage Ryan a bit. Yes every other politician might have done the same thing but they're not running for VP and don't have the national spotlight on them. I wonder if Ryan could rewind time knowing that in 2012 he'd be Romney's running mate if he would still write those letters. I'm not even sure if I'd like the answer to that to be yes or no. Wish I could ask him though.
Very fair post Shari.

We will certainly agree to disagree on the substance and the damning (or not) nature of the contents. It would have been classless and low brow had Biden been revealing things that Ryan said in confidence. That would be exposing their personal relationship for political gain and would have been cowardly to say the least...however, if that's not what he did then I will retract my opinion on that specific incident. However, again, we will agree to disagree about the contents of the messages.