Originally posted on 07/19/2012:

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyX View Post
What the f__k? Wiedman is obviously the number one contender, and is far superior to Lombard in all areas. I would even favor Weidman (slightly) over Anderson Silva due to his BJJ/College Wrestling combo that nobody else possesses. I'd prob. cap Weidman at -120/-140 over Anderson, although the line will favor Anderson no doubt, and I will pound Weidman. Weidman is a nightmare match up for Anderson, he is Chael, but with far greater striking and far greater BJJ. Chael has no BJJ and very little standup to speak of. Look at that pathetic spinning back fist he tried to land on Silva, and then look at Weidman's devastating elbow to Munoz's grill that dropped him.
I don't see how you can compare the two at all. The key factor to Sonnen doing so well against Silva was really not down solely to his wrestling pedigree - it was the fact that he had absolutely no fear of him (till the 2nd round in their 2nd fight arguably, ha). Chael bumrushed him. He gave him no time to get into his rhythm, he didn't stand there and try and strike for a little while then go for a double leg - he threw a combo, rolled his head or moved it off-center and then shot on him. He then relentlessly repeated that each and every round. Chael does this every fight. Weidman does not. Chael is also a southpaw while Weidman is orthodox.

I don't understand when people just take two fighters, where one is more skilled in certain areas and say "X is Y with better Z!". Every fighter is completely different and there are a crazy amount of variables to any match-up.