Originally posted on 07/04/2012:

Quote Originally Posted by GoonSquad View Post
Damn Rattz, thanks for the real answer. I have been reading many stories online of people throwing their lives away because of obsessive gambling. I definitely do not want to be like those people. I was seriously considering calling GA the other day, just to try to prevent myself from becoming a lowlife ************ that can't control his urges to gamble and losing everything that's important to me.
Thanks for the advice
i have read extensively about Neurobiology, and Clinical Psychology. Gambling is a serious disease, if a person is not aware of the machinations of their own brains. Gambling creates a false sense of progress, thus the person (animal really) is compelled to pursue it. It triggers the 'easy meal' reflex that animals cannot resist.. much in the same way that the best fishing lures are the ones that move randomly.. making the target fish think that it is dealing with an injured fish (easy kill, no expenditure of energy).*

Animals instinctively seek to conserve energy, in the wild, careless waste of energy, may be the difference between life and death. I am quite serious about invisible gambling.

Give yourself a deadline. Decide that you are going to figure out this sport or that sport by a certain date, and if you don't, then quit it. Write down every bet, as if it were real, the mind really does say.. "i knew that was going to happen" or "ya, i never woulda bet that!"*

The truth of your handicapping will be seen in the results. Remember, $100 wagered is not $100 won, easy for the mind to think that one too. The mind loves doubling money, the books don't.

Don't listen to any Kamikaze pilots... "balls to the wall, dude" "only a pussy would quit now".. that is not the thinking of a serious winner. Warrior, maybe.. but not a chessplayer. Gambling is chess. not MMA

Beware of your own mind, be aware of what makes it feel good, and where in life you seek the feeling of reward. If your greatest thrill is associated with potentially dangerous behavior... then proceed verrry cautiously.

Life is precious, time especially, opportunity in life does not linger. It turns faster than bananas.*