Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
This is about as productive as trying to debate a creationist on the age of the planet. If one believes it impossible for a probability estimation to have any value whatsoever, the other points are totally irrelevant.
Who is a creationist here?

I don't know whether it is possible or not to outperform odds setters. All I'm saying I don't see any credible evidence supporting claim that it is.

It seems that even matching (which is not enough by a long shot) their results would be a daunting task giving the fact that one will be fighting an uphill battle against a motivated bunch of skilled professionals armed to the teeth with everything they ever needed to win (unlimited supply of any data imaginable, latest hard/software, proven scientific methods and much, much more)

And what is on another side?
Confused, for the most part, individuals who, after endless moving over excel tables and predictably falling pray to all kinds of fallacies, "discover" new (to them) pattern and, without any consideration that this patter could have been already discovered and priced in by someone else, naively declare it an edge?

I mean, unless you do what you have to do on their level of professionalism and competence, and then some!!!, what do you have going for you, really? Feel for the game? C'mon!