Originally posted on 09/08/2011:

Boyz,

Nice start to the season, going a perfect 5-0 with my sides. Would've been even 'more perfect' if that Michigan game wasn't called early. Stubbed my toe a little bit with my totals plays but overall we turned a nice profit. This week I will play less totals, more sides selections. Let's get at it....

OREGON STATE +20- at WISCONSIN

Just a terrible start to the season for the Beavers, losing at home to lowly Sacramento St. Meanwhile the Badgers came out swinging against UNLV. Transfer QB Wilson (from NC St.) looked impressive. Oregon State comes into Madison a bit dinged up and also has to deal with an early tee time. That's a lot of variables in the Badgers favor. Realize though that all these things are already factored into the line.....and the line is way too high. The Beavers play tough on the road, covering 28 of their last 40 ATS. Take the generous points.

SAN DIEGO STATE -9- at ARMY (***Double Play***)

Here's another matchup where a west coast team will have their body clocks a little out of sorts (game starts at noon eastern, 9 am pacific time.) Still, don't see the Cadets being able to trade points with these fast-improving Aztecs. Army got lit up last week by Northern Illinois and will again this week by the balanced SD St. attack. Defensively the Aztecs should be familiar with the spread as they faced it last week against Cal Poly SLO and last year in the bowl win against Navy.

TOLEDO +19 at OHIO STATE

This is the type of game that the Buckeyes usually win and cover handily. But things figure to be a bit different this year in Columbus. There's been a lot of turmoil, what with scandals and the departures of coaches and stud QBs. The Rockets are actually coming into town with a puncher's chance. The Buckeyes looked good last week but that was against Akron, arguably the worst team in the country. The Rockets also looked good against a strong Division 2 team, New Hampshire. Toledo brings back a lot of returning talent from last year and I look for them to put up a fight here.

TULSA -11- at TULANE

The Golden Hurricane will be looking to regroup rapidly after that beatdown they took last week against Oklahoma. It starts right here. They've won and covered 6 straight games against Tulane, all easily. The line is surprisingly low (I see Tulsa winning by about 24), and it's come down even further because of the suspension of ace WR Johnson. No matter, Tulsa brings back tons of good players from last year's squad and should put the usual whooping on Tulane. The Green Wave have covered only 7 of their last 28 games. Ouch.

ALABAMA -10 at PENN STATE

Joe Paterno has forgotten more about football than most coaches will ever know. But that's the problem, he's forgotten it! The guy is 83.....that's about Abe Vigoda's age. How's he gonna relate to 20 year-old kids? It's never easy for a team to lay double digits in Happy Valley, but this is the Crimson Tide and you won't be able to get them much cheaper than this price all year. The Nittany Lions have only covered 9 of their last 28 as a dog. Perhaps they're getting too much respect because of the great years they had in the past. This team is slower and less talented than the Tide and it will show here.

TCU -1 at AIR FORCE

Don't jump off the Horned Frogs bandwagon just yet. They're definitely not the team they were last year but they still should be able to handle the Falcons. After facing Robert Griffin last week, the Flyboys will look like they're going in slow motion. I was encouraged by TCU's 4th quarter rally last week and look for it to jump start them in this one.

BALL STATE +20 at SOUTH FLORIDA

Great win by the Bulls last week at South Bend. Lost in the press clippings was the fact that they were outgained 508-254. They're a good team but this is a lot of points to lay against an upstart Ball State team who surprised Indiana last week. The Bulls are unlikely to benefit from 5 turnovers again this week and I look for a little bit of a letdown after last week's marquee matchup. Take.

For those interested, I'm gonna post my top totals plays a bit later and I will also start an NFL thread this season for the first time ever.

As always, best of luck,
Harry