Originally posted on 07/13/2011:

Quote Originally Posted by onizuka View Post
In the US 100% yes, absolutely. But not in other country.

That is not true. You don't need to go to college but its going to be a hell of a lot harder now a days.
Also it depends on what is your definition of succesful, is it middle class. 20+ an hour. What is it?
I am working as a free intern for my citys transportation department, basically doing a little bit of everything, accounting, time cards, basic office stuff, now working on federal audit for them.
Anyways, the Bus Drivers there, are all unioinez, and get paid 22 an hour. They have great benefits get one week of vacation days, and one week 'sick' time. Also get a hell of a pension.
Is that being succesful?
Is being a truck driver successful, you are still bringing in good money around 40-50k.
Then you look at starting up your own business which probably is your route if you want to get your income above just the average man's. Theres a lot of different options there, and you definitely don't need any college degree for it.

Obviously if you want employment as a lawayer, doctor, vet, finical adviser, accountant, you need a college degree.

But I would never say you 'need' it. It depends on how motivated you are to make your life successful, if you want to open up your own business go do it. You can't be waiting around hoping that something comes around, or bitching about shit.

For me, a degree is a must. But that is me. I want to work in Finance, so obviously I am not going to be hired without a college degree majoring in Finance, ( I am majoring in Finance and Accounting minor in International Economics)

Its all up to you, the 'American Dream' is definitely not dead, you just have to find a niche find something people want and need, and do it