Originally posted on 06/29/2011:

Hey everyone,

I know there are already a grip of threads on this fight. Yet I would like to give my two cents and receive as much feedback as possible before I pull the trigger. I hope everyone can also give who they are picking (give breakdown and why), and if they like a large play on this fight (in particular, a large play on Cruz!). All replies appreciate and will help in my decision making, thanks!

I'm coming out and going to start this off with a very arguable statement - I think Cruz is the better wrestler. I think this is a pinnacle aspect in this fight. Cruz took down Pac 10 wrestler Jorgenson and Benavidez multiple times, and defended their tds superbly. Personally, I think Faber is Benavidez 2.0 I believe benavidez is the better fighter than faber - he is quicker, and more explosive on the ground. I think faber is stronger, but other than that I think benavidez is better everywhere. That being said, and not to use mma math, I think this asssertation is another indication that cruz will win this fight. If he could outstrike and outgrapple benavidez (albiet narrowly, I know that was a very competitive fight), I think he will do the same with faber. Furthermore, Ian Mcall and Valencia are good wrestlers (McCall especially) and Cruz handled them as well. In his first fight with Faber, Cruz shot in and got his neck caught in the crushing arms of faber asap... I don't see this happening again. I think Faber is better with subs and catching people in scrambles, but I don't think faber gets top control or gets an opportunity in a scramble unless dominich allows it.

Now in the striking department, I easily give Cruz the advantage. Yet Urijah is sneaking and often unorthodox in his strikes, and could surprise cruz here or there... note, 'here or there'. I think faber might land some leather, but it won't be near the connecting volume of Cruz. While I give Faber a huge power advantage on the feet, and while he has evolved some better head movement and footwork, it will not neutralize Cruz' striking rain dance. Cruz has the advantage in speed, which will be crucial in this fight. While urijah may have some surprises, and perhaps a better clinch/dirty boxing game, Cruz' elusiveness, fancy footwork/headmovement, and ability to change angles will prevail in the end. On top of that, Dominick has shown he is one of the best at changing levels and getting a powerful td. He sets up tds so so so smooth.... His quick movement and lighting quick striking allow him to throw opponents off guard and suddenly shoot in or clinch up for a trip without them knowing what hit them. I actually see cruz doing his rain dance and softening / tiring urijah in the first 3 rounds.. and to seal the deal I think he will incorporate tds in rounds 4 and 5 to catch faber off guard.

I have a hard time trying to figure urijah's strategy. Obviously one might think its to pressure cruz from the get go and not allow him to find his 'riddim' / gameplan. Close the distance, clinch, and keep cruz from dancing around and lighting you up. If possible, take him down in this close quarters and use smothering top control to keep him there and grind him out. Yet how applicable is this gameplan, or does urijah have something else in mind? Does he really think he can catch cruz on the feet? If he does try to initiate a clinch / ground war, I think faber will be unsucessful. I think dominick is too quick, has too good tdd, and also has the arguably better take downs / trips.

Lastly, I believe this is Cruz' time to shine, where faber is on a slow downward slope in his mma career. Don't take that to heart; I think faber will be a legit threat to all contenders at 135 and 145 for a while. I also hope I am not downplaying faber or giving him less credit than he deserves - against any other fighter I probably wouldn't think twice about betting against faber. I just think this is Cruz' time to shine. Faber had his era, now its Cruz' turn. Cruz is VERY hungry too. I know urijah is hungry and this is his chance to be the ufc champ, somehting he has dreamed of his whole life, and has fought long and hard to reach. But unfortunately not all dreams come true and I think Cruz will wake up Sunday morning with the gold around his waist. ANd most importantly, this fight stylistically favors Dominick. I can't think of a bettter style to defeat faber (well, Aldo I guess, but I almost think Dominick is a smaller version of aldo with less power but better wrestling).

If dominick stays disciplined, stays elusive like he always does, and doesn't let faber get off from the get-go, I think he will earn a dominating UD!

What do you guys think? What is your breakdown of this fight? Do you like a heavy str8 play on cruz??? What am I missing in my breakdown, where might I be wrong, and why?

Also--- I'm liking plays on Siver. I am not going to provide a breakdown, just see the other dude's thread (I think his username is shogun rua), where I provided a brief breakdown which was pretty much the same as TS'. How do you all like siver in this fight and why?

Also considering a small upset on Dos Anjos, and thinking about playing Njukuoni at -150. I think Njukuoni really shined against Barboza, and winner is not as technical, nor as powerful a puncher. I think he outstrikes winner in what should be a very exciting fight. Personally, I think Njukuoni is one of the best pure strikers in teh division.

Any other plays you guys REALLY like on this card???? As of right now I am only looking at a large str8 play on cruz, a moderate str8 play on siver, and small str8 plays on Njokuoni and RDA.

Thanks for reading the lenghty post, again all feedback is appreciated!!! GL and enjoy the show, I can't wait!!

I