Originally posted on 04/08/2011:

Its tough....I can't say that I would have played it that much different than you did. However if you look back at your math, you priced him in to that flush draw.

Preflop there was 6.75 in the pot with three players.

Flop comes Rainbow, 4,5,Q. With your raise of 3x bb preflop, you can reasonably assume you have him beat or he has a set. There are no real other options at this point. Some would argue that he could be sitting on 67 suited or something.

You bet 5.50 or about 80% of the pot, you get one fold, and one call. Now the second he called I would have put him on a hand like AQ, KQ, or possibly a set of 4, set 5. Maybe a straight draw with the 45, but thats slim IMO.

Turn card come and its your K. Here is where one could argue that you made a mistake (although I have to say I would have played it similar I think). Your bet of 8.50 into a pot of 17.75 is only 47% of the pot. Giving him 3-1 pot odds to make the call, knowing that you are betting he can reasonably assume that the implied odds can include your remaining 30 as you are likely to go all in if he hits his flush or his 3. At this point he can assume he that he has 2 outs with the 5, 3 outs with the 3 and 9 outs with he flush. Totaling 14 outs, or roughly a 28% chance of hitting one of them. At this point he should have called your the to see the river. He is getting the right price, if you are looking at the implied odds here.

Now the shitty part comes when he hits his flush and you are screwed, at this point your pot committed with your remaining bankroll and there is nothing you can do to get rid of this hand after the river.

If you made a mistake you made a too small of a bet after you hit your trips. You gave him the right price to chase that flush on the river.

That being said, he played like a total donk preflop, flop and pre-turn. But he made the right call once he got to the post-turn and river.

My $0.02. Hindsight is always 20/20 and there is a good chance that many players would have lost that hand just they way you did.