purecarnagge
    purecarnagge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Packers cut Lee and AJ hawk

AJ Hawk scheduled to get a 10 million dollar bonus...I understand wanting to restructure that...but he's still a damn good LB.

Cutting Donald Lee for 2.2 million salary...I'm not understanding it... Maybe he's not all that tight with Rodgers or something?

these moves make me wonder about the packers...they draft really well, but I think they are worse team as the results of these moves.

dabomguy11
    dabomguy11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

They always have a reason, and it's usually pretty good for these types of moves. They cut Al Harris because they had Sam Shields and Tramon Williams. Their cutting Lee becauase they have Jermichael Finley as their #1 and Quarless and Crabtree, who played well this past year as their #2 and #3. I really hope they sign Hawk back though, because he was a key piece of their defense.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57563

Not surprised by either. Lee is no better than 3rd string with Finley coming back and Hawk's contract is ridiculous. Both Hawk and the Pack knew from Day 1 that they would have to renegotiate before this final year. With the impending lockout there is no urgency to get the new contract done but I feel that eventually AJ will resign with GB for more reasonable money.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Firstly, AJ Hawk is a BUST. As a Packer fan, he didn't pick it up until late in the year last season and in the playoffs - yet the guy, whilst biltzing, cannot shake even a RB. He's not worth the 10 mil$ owed him. It was a great cut by GB. He is, however, very serviceable. He is not as talented at his position as Chillar, but, apparently, he REALLY wants back with the Pack. He's worth not a lot. Should he hit the street, he'll see his value is next to none in a 3-4. He's an NFL calibur LB now, but top 10 pick good? No. Nick Barnett will likely be cut, also. The guy is worse than AJ, but has speed like no other. But if you cannot shed a block and tackle a guy going the other way, there are many lb free agents that are a better fit right now.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

They're trimming up for the lockout

Irish Lumberjack
    Irish Lumberjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2332

Hawk did not turn out to be anything special. Same as poz in buffalo.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

Wouldnt be surprised to see Hawk resign in Green Bay for a lot less money, not sure if anyone out there will give him $10 million and if they do they are fools

zoso11871
    zoso11871's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2334

Quote Originally Posted by Brewers in 7 View Post
    Wouldnt be surprised to see Hawk resign in Green Bay for a lot less money, not sure if anyone out there will give him $10 million and if they do they are fools
    I'd be shocked if he got 10 Mil.

KC
    KC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Their other tight ends are not close to Lee, surprised by that. Had to bail on Hawk at that price.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Neither one shocks me. I was shocked that Lee even made the team last year. With Hawk, he was never getting the $10 mil.

JassieJames
    JassieJames's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 594

Donald Lee was an under achiever for the past few years. I am surprised he has been with the Packers for as long as he has. AJ Hawk getting $10 million is way too much for an average linebacker.

Frattimore
    Frattimore's Avatar Become A Pro!

Should've kept Hawk.

ronjon619
    California Uber Alles
    ronjon619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

AJ Hawk did not live up to his 1st round draft status and contract.

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Lee sucks ass dude, thank god he is now gone. Hawk should sign back for less money hopefully

tickingclock1
    tickingclock1's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would love to see Hawk in St. Louis

Frostware
    Frostware's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5433

Hawk should be picked up by someone quickly I would think.

Dax
    Formerly known as the Linesman!
    Dax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 210

AJ Hawk is back with the Packs...

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 39513

horrible decision there

headhunter34
    headhunter34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 559

hawk is the 3rd or 4th best linebacker on the packers. he simply isnt worth the money that he was due next year

Jeffito11
    Jeffito11's Avatar Become A Pro!

They cut him in order to resign him for a more appropriate amount which was done earlier today. He didn't fit in with the defense earlier in the year but injuries gave him a chance and he did well. I am glad he is back, Nick Barnett will be on his way out. He proved what a dbag he is with his tweeting during superbowl week. He had a nightclub in Green Bay that got shut down and he played the racist card too. Happy with the drop/pickup! GO PACK GO

Resler
    Resler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

5 million dollar cut in his new agreement, that's gotta hurt.

purecarnagge
    purecarnagge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n View Post
    Firstly, AJ Hawk is a BUST. As a Packer fan, he didn't pick it up until late in the year last season and in the playoffs - yet the guy, whilst biltzing, cannot shake even a RB. He's not worth the 10 mil$ owed him. It was a great cut by GB. He is, however, very serviceable. He is not as talented at his position as Chillar, but, apparently, he REALLY wants back with the Pack. He's worth not a lot. Should he hit the street, he'll see his value is next to none in a 3-4. He's an NFL calibur LB now, but top 10 pick good? No. Nick Barnett will likely be cut, also. The guy is worse than AJ, but has speed like no other. But if you cannot shed a block and tackle a guy going the other way, there are many lb free agents that are a better fit right now.

He was one of your team captains in the playoffs...so I doubt serviceable is an accurate description of his talents. The guy would start on most NFL teams. He's far from just serviceable.

dabomguy11
    dabomguy11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

AJ Hawk is probably not as good as his draft position, but he isn't a bust. He has developed into a very good LB, and I am very glad that the Packers resigned him.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57563

Hawk sticks as predicted but Barnett is gone! This jackass sealed his fate with those ridiculous tweets prior to the Super Bowl. So long Nick - its been nice knowing ya...

McBa1n
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by purecarnagge View Post
    He was one of your team captains in the playoffs...so I doubt serviceable is an accurate description of his talents. The guy would start on most NFL teams. He's far from just serviceable.
    Fair point, but a lot of scrubs also get voted captain (read: Jarrett "mr dumbass" Bush). He took over the play calling on D, making him a natural leader. I'm kinda pissed the Pack brought him back for as much money as they did. He is just 'serviceable', though. He can't shed blocks worth a damn and tackles guys mostly going the wrong way. He brings pedigree via draft status to his contract and finally developed into something that was quite good late in the year. So basically less than 1/2 of season of solid play earned him a fat contract. If he can play at the level we saw late in the year, it's a good signing.

Remember, he didn't even get on the field for a game last season because he's not part of the nickle package - and that's all the pack played that day. If you're a top LB and you're not in the nickle package, you're pretty 'serviceable'. Through injuries opening the door and hard work, though, he proved himself. He still has many parts of his game he needs work on (pass coverage in zones, reading the offense, beating RBs trying to block him, etc).

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

I'm surprised Hawk didn't get snapped up. Sometimes that whole release a guy to re-sign him doesn't work when you're talking about a starting calibur player. Just ask a Ravens fan.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

BARNETT for HAWK

FINLEY for LEE

GREEN BAY will be vastly better at both positions next year.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

HAWK re-signs with PACKERS for five years!

MILWAUKEE (AP) — A.J. Hawk's absence from the Green Bay Packers didn't last long.
    Hawk's agent, Mike McCartney, said Thursday that the linebacker signed a five-year deal with the Packers just one day after he was released in a cost-cutting move.
    "He's thrilled to be back with his Super Bowl-winning teammates and a first-class organization," McCartney said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
    The team announced the deal Thursday evening.
    "We are pleased to have reached an agreement with A.J.," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "We appreciate his work and dedication and look forward to his contributions to our team in the future."
    Hawk, the No. 5 overall pick in the 2006 NFL draft, previously was scheduled to earn $10 million in 2011. When the Packers released him Wednesday, they did so with the hope that they could bring him back at a reduced salary.
    Thompson said Wednesday the business side of the game drove the decision to release Hawk and he was hopeful Hawk would return. Hawk was free to negotiate with other teams after his release, but clearly focused on the Packers.
    Multiple media outlets reported a new deal was imminent after his release, and McCartney told AP on Thursday morning that the two sides were putting the finishing touches on a contract.
    Terms of the new deal were not immediately available.
    It came on a day the collective bargaining agreement between NFL owners and the NFL Players Association was set to expire, although the two sides later agreed to a 24-hour extension.
    Despite his lofty draft status and hardworking reputation, Hawk began the 2010 season as a role player. He ended it as a leader of a Super Bowl-champion defense.
    After season-ending injuries to inside linebackers Nick Barnett and Brandon Chillar, Hawk once again became a starter and played a critical role in the Packers' push to their Super Bowl victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was chosen one of the team's captains in the playoffs.
    The Packers now have a potential logjam at inside linebacker. Desmond Bishop earned a new deal during his breakout 2010 season, and Chillar and Barnett remain under contract.
    The Packers released two other players Wednesday, tight end Donald Lee and safety Derrick Martin.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

McBa1n
    Update your status

Late to the party, Fishy. Hawk was signed because if he went FA he'd get 3-6 million AT BEST. GB over-paid him, It just says so to me, Nick Barnett will be looking for work soon. He's not worth even close to what he's scheduled to get paid. I give GB credit in the Mike Sherman era, Boss Bailed was the guy most made his pick in "mock drafts", although, I did see Darnell Dockett draft in that spot in "mock" drafts. Barnett is garbage with incredible wheels. Sorry that Pack will likely have to move on. He'd be sick if he could shed a block, but he cannot. I've never seen him on tape beat ever a RB assigned to him.. He'd be amazing as a weak side LB, but I think GB has that locked down with a few players at 1/10th his salary.

Statman
    Statman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2421

Nice resign to stay with GB. Should be fun to watch in the years to come!!

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Hawk is good. He's just not one of the 5 best guys at his position. If you watched the Packers games you'd know that. He's an ILB, they aren't always getting sacks like OLBs.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Bishop, Matthews and Hawk in the fold tells me Barnett is gone. Also have Zombo and Walden, with Chillar, Poppinga and Jones coming back from injury. Not room for all of them.

CaptainPrice
    CaptainPrice's Avatar Become A Pro!

why Donald LEE??
    AJ i understand

Mr. Peepers
    Mr. Peepers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Hawk sucks..white and slow...has a cool name and thats about it

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Looks like Barnett is gone, that seems like too much money at the MLB positions.

But regarding the LB depth, most of those guys are OLBs. Only Barnett, Hawk and Bishop have started at MLB.

I think Thompson will get rid of Barnett and that contract and draft some guys to back up Hawk and Bishop at MLB.

If Barnett was smart, maybe he'd be willing to take a 50% pay decrease to stay on the team.
    Last edited by slacker00; 03-07-11 at 07:24 AM.

12 Last