slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Who will be the oldest NFL QB to start in week 1, 2011.

Now that Favre is gone, who will take his place as geezer starting QB trying to hang on too long?

Looking at the candidates, starting with the oldest, we've got Mark Brunell(40) for the Jets and Todd Collins(39) for the Bears. I'm not sure that either will be back next year and the only way either would start would be a bizarre string of injuries. So we can cross these two QBs off the list.

The next two are John Kitna(38) of the Cowboys and Kerry Collins(38) of the Titans. Both of these guys started the last half of the season when the original starter went down. I'm guessing that neither one of these guys is a serious candidate to start even though the Titans are currently without a QB, they'll likely draft a QB with their #8 pick which would make him a day 1 starter. I don't think the Titans are planning to start Kerry Collins week 1 except in some elaborate disaster scenario.

Next on the list are Todd Bouman(38) of the Jags and Charlie Batch(36) of the Steelers who are both entrenched backups at this point and will only see a start in week 1 if the incumbent starting QB rapes someone this offseason.

Which brings us to the last couple: Matt Hasselbeck(35) of the Seahawks and Jake Delhomme(35) of the Browns. Hasselbeck seems set to be the starter unless Pete Carroll shakes things up in the offseason with some kind of QB acquisition. As for Delhomme, his days are done as an NFL starter except as an emergency QB.

So what if all these guys fail to be a starter, who's the next in line? Peyton Manning! He'll be 35 heading into 2011.

Even if Hasselbeck gets another year as a starting QB for the Seahawks, I don't expect him to last too many more seasons. It looks like Peyton is set to take over for Favre as "that guy". Let's just hope there isn't as much off-field drama.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

George Blanda comes back and plays another season for Al Davis

Nard Dog
    Nard Dog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 384

I'd still give Favre a 0.0001 percent chance of coming back.

mav924
    mav924's Avatar Become A Pro!

Brett Favre once he comes back from retirement again

KingJIM
    KingJIM's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'll have to go with Favre again. Don't think Manning will hang on into his 40's.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

hasselbeck plays like he's 40

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Well, Favre has filed his "retirement papers", but I'm sure he could still be reinstated.

Funny how I went through the checklist above, crossing off the names, but I never crossed through Favre's name. lol

If Favre comes back next year, I'll be flabbergasted.

teddyd
    teddyd's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Favre is done for real this time. If it really is Payton Manning that would be crazy since he is still one of the best. The Colts don't have a great supporting cast (they would if injuries weren't in play) but are still a top team solely because of Manning.

jennahazeplays
    jennahazeplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

gotta be peyton i thinl

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Kerry Collins is a no-brainer here at this point. If not him, Hasselbeck would be #2.
    I'd be shocked, actually, if Collins didn't win this race. I think the only reason it wouldn't happen is if the new coach didn't like him at all. I don't know Munchak's preference at all and I've heard nothing on his desire for the QB position. It's conceivable they draft a QB, but highly unlikely they will have an opening day QB better than Collins.

I'd also be shocked if Hasselbeck isn't back in Seattle. The guy is still a gamer. He's good enough to be at worst a backup in the league. Whitehurst would have to take a giant step to take over the reigns in Seattle. It's a long ways out, and I know Seattle gave up a good pick to get Whitehurst, but all the media coming out of Seattle leans Hasselbeck.

Outside of Peyton, no one else has a chance in hell of starting that is 35+.

Pick'nParlays
    My Wifi Name is PrettyFly4aWifi
    Pick'nParlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

as long as his name is not brett favre

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Hasselback, Manning and Mcnabb in that order.

CaptainPrice
    CaptainPrice's Avatar Become A Pro!

manning is that old
    wow!

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1896

I don't think QBs past 35 years old have the ability to win the Super Bowl.

Robust
    Losing
    Robust's Avatar Become A Pro!

troy aikman from retirement? LOL

although favre is the likely retired qb choice for me!

haha

Robust

Hall2Collie
    Hall2Collie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    I don't think QBs past 35 years old have the ability to win the Super Bowl.
    Elway was 38 when he won one

Unitas at 37 also