whoatommy
    whoatommy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can anybody explain to me how the NFL and each of its teams make money?

I would like some details. Where do they generate the most profit? How do they pay their players, coaches, stadium workers, etc. Specific numbers if you can. Possibly include financial statements, balance sheets, etc. Then, explain why those numbers are working and why these teams are worth so many millions and billions of dollars. I've been trying to search the web and really haven't found anything pertinent.

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

I'm not going to write up a research paper here, but the bulk of it is advertising(including the company paying to have the stadium named after it)/tv shares/merchandise sales (in that order)

I had a link for a good breakdown of it, will try to find it

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

more revenue than operating costs would be the easy answer.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/business/BERA/.../football.html

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4759275...uch-money.html

http://football.calsci.com/SalaryCap.html

no real financial specifics, but you'll get the idea

Nard Dog
    Nard Dog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 384

I am assuming ticket revenue must be pretty good when you have an 80 thousand seat stadium packed every other week plus 3/4 of the people attending have bought a jersey too.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Recently in thescore(canadian sports channel) they mentioned that NFL makes the most revenue than any sports organization. They said that on tv alone they made 3Billion in revenue. I also watch ABC morning news and the always show the the top ten shows in america for the week base on tv viewers and on a weekly basis, SNF always get the highest tv rating second to SNF:Pregame. Im not surprised how greedy the commissioner is wanted to extend another 2 to 3 more games to the season, will add more $$$$$.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

HUGE TV contracts!!

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

TV $ advertising licenses and tickets....

Covy
    Covy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1430

Revenue:
    Ticket Sales
    Advertising Sales
    Personal Seat Licenses(If Applicable)
    TV Revenue
    Merchandise Sales
    Licensing Fees

Expenses:
    Employees
    Bills
    Taxes

whoatommy

Good stuff.

It looks like the only financial statements you can find on the web is for the Green Bay Packers. And even then, only a snapshot is provided. It's just mind boggling how private the NFL and it's teams are regarding their financial information. Anyone have any ideas?

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

All paid by Vegas

whoatommy

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    All paid by Vegas
    Seriously, the question I'm driving at: How financially viable is the NFL with just it's alleged revenue stream (tv, advertising, tickets/merchandise sales)? Why can't they make that public so we can have a better picture of how the NFL works?

jackmyhoggoff
    jackmyhoggoff's Avatar Become A Pro!

BIG MONEY means one thing CORRUPT !!

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Because games between the Jets and Pats can pull a 26 marketshare and the Super Bowl will probably pull 60+...especially if GB and PIT make it through.

eberetta1
    Win some cha-ching
    eberetta1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12515

Four television companies are paying a combined $20 billion to broadcast the NFL in 2011. Divided by I believe 28 teams, is almost a billion dollars a team in revenue from broadcast rights alone.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1896

Do college football players and coaches get paid?

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

They pimp out the cheerleaders between games. That's where the big money comes in.

whoatommy

Quote Originally Posted by eberetta1 View Post
    Four television companies are paying a combined $20 billion to broadcast the NFL in 2011. Divided by I believe 28 teams, is almost a billion dollars a team in revenue from broadcast rights alone.
    32 teams. I'm gonna guess it's over a number of years say 6-10 years that is worth $20 billion. Which then works out to be some million dollars a year. Okay, so what are the expenses to offset that?

edit:

Just found these figures, major TV contracts are worth about $95 million/year and non network TV contracts are worth about $5 million/year. That comes out to a little over $3 million/year to each team. Will link these figures a little later.
    Last edited by whoatommy; 01-19-11 at 12:56 AM.

whoatommy

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    Do college football players and coaches get paid?
    That's a good question. But what are you trying to get at? For the most part I would say their revenue stream should be the same as the NFL's --ticket sales, merchandising, TV contracts, etc. I guess one of the differences is that colleges are divided into smaller conferences so that effects the division of some revenue.

How much more money is the NFL making to be able to pay their players (supposedly a figure around 50%-60% of revenue)? Then on the flip side colleges don't pay salaries to players at all. Where does all that money go? I know players get allowances and all but there's still a lot of money that colleges are bringing in. I guess they supposedly fund other departments in the schools, which is a totally different topic.

geeze
    geeze's Avatar Become A Pro!

What EXTRA money do the players get for winning the post season games and the Super Bowl?

Is there enough incentive to make them play hard?

whoatommy

Quote Originally Posted by geeze View Post
    What EXTRA money do the players get for winning the post season games and the Super Bowl? Is there enough incentive to make them play hard?
    Here's an article: http://www.nflplayers.com/Articles/P...r-NFL-Players/

Not too sure of the validity of the numbers but it seems legit. From 2009.

Here's another good article about player motivation during the playoffs. Very good read from 2008: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...r/12/22/takes/

Basically they barely get anything compared to their regular player contract. For the super bowl about $40k for the loser and $80k for the winner. Think of Peyton Mannings 2011 salary of $14 million and Brady's $8 million salary compare them to Sanchez who makes $2.5 mil. Who do you think will play harder for that bonus?

Obviously there are other motivational factors when comparing these guys but for other positions players that are not well established like quarterbacks, those guys are playing for their future. That's why teams like Seahawks really gave it their all against the Saints.

bobbyk1133
    bobbyk1133's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3877

Quote Originally Posted by Nard Dog View Post
    I am assuming ticket revenue must be pretty good when you have an 80 thousand seat stadium packed every other week plus 3/4 of the people attending have bought a jersey too.
    The entire season can be played in front of empty stadiums and every team would still make a nice profit.

The NFL is easily the most envied league on earth.