Austin103
    Austin103's Avatar Become A Pro!

Texans hire Wade Phillips as DC.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Austin103 View Post
    Because Dallas was so fvcking great on defense this year???

Doc

Austin103

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    Because Dallas was so fvcking great on defense this year???

Doc
    No, not necessarily, Wade is a defensive minded, and I think he will turn out good for Houston, 100% of his focus on defense.

triqy
    triqy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

The biggest difference is that Wade will be implementing his 3-4 defense. The texans have been a 4-3 for the last 6 years. They will probably be moving Connor Barwin as a linebacker in the new scheme. The new LB in this scheme will be Connor Barwin who was injured for the season in the 1st game of the season.

The biggest question about this new scheme will be what they will do with Mario Williams, who is undoubtbly not a fit for 3-4 scheme. Many questions still about the move, which isnt an easy one by any means. Also, if there is a labor lockout for some of the offseaon, it will impact time to work with the defense on getting the new defense up to par for the regular season opener.

Austin103

Quote Originally Posted by triqy View Post
    The biggest difference is that Wade will be implementing his 3-4 defense. The texans have been a 4-3 for the last 6 years. They will probably be moving Connor Barwin as a linebacker in the new scheme. The new LB in this scheme will be Connor Barwin who was injured for the season in the 1st game of the season.

The biggest question about this new scheme will be what they will do with Mario Williams, who is undoubtbly not a fit for 3-4 scheme. Many questions still about the move, which isnt an easy one by any means. Also, if there is a labor lockout for some of the offseaon, it will impact time to work with the defense on getting the new defense up to par for the regular season opener.
    Great post.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Kubiak should have been fired. The upcoming labor agreement issues saved a lot of head coaching jobs.

Doc JS

Quote Originally Posted by triqy View Post

The biggest question about this new scheme will be what they will do with Mario Williams, who is undoubtbly not a fit for 3-4 scheme. Many questions still about the move, which isnt an easy one by any means.
    I agree with this...anytime you go changing defensive schemes that marginalizes one of your best players, I think is very risky...

Doc
    Last edited by Doc JS; 01-05-11 at 06:37 PM.

Doc JS

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Kubiak should have been fired. The upcoming labor agreement issues saved a lot of head coaching jobs.
    FACT!

Doc

triqy

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Marvin Lewis is the best example for this.

triqy

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    I agree with this...anytime you go changing defensive schemes that marginalizes one of your best players, I think is very risky...

Doc
    At this point the Texans need to find a solid and true nose tackle. Amobi Okoye will not cut it by any means. He can be utilized on 4 down linemen pass situations, but not as an every down nose guard.

3-4 = 3 down linemen (Williams, Nose tackle (draft or free agency), and Antonio Smith)
    4 Linebackers (Barwin, Ryans, Cushing, and Daryl Sharpton)

Skidcom
    Skidcom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19551

I support this hiring

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Wade Phillips good luck. Course with the Texans defense this year i guess it can't get much worse.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

This is a great move by both. Phillips goes back to his own stomping grounds where he cut his teeth, Houston. Phillips has always been a top level DC even if his jobs as HC left something lacking. Phillips is technically a 3-4 guy, but it's not as genetic with Phillips as with the Parcells school or other 3-4 gurus, it's more of a hybrid. He'll be able to work with the talent that the Texans have without that much trouble. Houston can't do any worse on defense. This is a huge upgrade.

diesel77004
    diesel77004's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

GREAT ~ now Houston has TWO pu$$ie$ as coaches

Austin103

Wade is a good defensive mind, defense will be improved next season.

diesel77004
    diesel77004's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

it would be hard to get any worse

Lumpy81
    Lumpy81's Avatar Become A Pro!

doesnt make any sense. Houston is going downhill

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

It will be another lost season for the Texans trying to transition to the new 34. They needed upgrades in many positions on defense already but now it's almost like starting from scratch. This is gonna be a rocky transition at best, how much more patient can the fans and organization be?

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

why is this a good hire?

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

more ego, more politics and more lack of discipline in an already questioning situation ... awesome

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

i like it...this is what hes good at. this what he should be focusing on for sure....plus hes bum phillips' son...houston.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10452

to help beat dallas cowboys

yurnero
    yurnero's Avatar Become A Pro!

kubiak is good on offense so this was a great move imo

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

It's a fantastic move, IMO. Wade is an outstanding coordinator (playing like he has nothing to lose) vs him bein a head coach - amongst the worst the NFL has ever seen. I'd take Ray Handley or Rich Kotite over his ass. Hell, Les Steckel is a HOF compared to Wade as a head coach. Again, most NFL People have KNOWN this for a decade+.

Houston does NOT have 3-4 personel at all - But I about figure, they have no D, either.
    Cushing is easily the worst defensive 'rookie of the year' in the modern era - but he could be decent as an ILB/OLB in a 3-4. The problem the Texans will run into is what to do with Mario Williams. He'd be a strong DE in a 3-4, but he's not nearly athletic enough to play OLB. Houston's personel is not good enough to run a 3-4 at all... I'd say give them time, but, IMO, their time is next year. Wade is a terrible hire, unless he adopts a more traditional defense, which I don't think he can, unless he runs the flex D... Which is horribly dated, for obvious reasons.

I'm glad I contridicted myself. Personally, I think Wade is trash unless he isn't the head coach. He's got an impossibly tall order with what he has in Houston... It could take 2-3 years for them.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Wade Phillips is an absloute shmuck

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Houston will always be a 8-8 type team
    Average QB
    Average D

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Sounds good.
    It would be nice to see the Texans make it to the playoffs one day.

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

good hire by Houston, he will turn that defense around

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

The last time Wade was DC in Houston, they went to back to back conference championships.

Gilly86
    Gilly86's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great hire. I can't see a first year dom capers-to-the-packers transformation, but within a couple years they will be extremely solid

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    The last time Wade was DC in Houston, they went to back to back conference championships.
    Wade was never a defensive coordinator in Houston. I grew up watching those Oiler teams. The defensive coordinator for the Oilers when they played the Steelers in the the AFC title game in 78 and 79 was Ed Biles.

Phillips was a defensive line coach for those years with the Oilers.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19456

Still, it should be considered a step in the right direction, to say the least.

At the same time, I'm not "crowning" the Texans to have the #1 defense next year.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Quote Originally Posted by darrell74 View Post
    Still, it should be considered a step in the right direction, to say the least.

At the same time, I'm not "crowning" the Texans to have the #1 defense next year.

Time will tell obviously. I know the natives are getting restless here. I'm still of the opinion that Kubiak is a better coordinator that head coach, but then again I don't own the team so my opinion means nothing.

I believe the defense will improve, as more than a few posters have mentioned, it would be difficult not to really. I will say that Wade has had success as a defensive coordinator, so that brings some hope.

One problem that the Texans have always had is they try and build their team through the draft. While obviously you need those good players you draft, you also need from time to time so good free agents to come in and help. McNair is one of the richest owners out there, hell, the Texans are in the top 10 of any franchise in sports when it comes to being worth the most money.

I'm not saying McNair should turn into Dan Synder, but his reluctance to pay free agents has hurt his team imo.

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

He will "fix it", cuz that's what Mr. Fix it does...