Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

REMEMBER----New OT rules for NFL playoff games

With 2011 playoffs, overtime rules change

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 3, 2011, 8:39 PM EST

The first non-sudden death overtime in NFL history could be coming this weekend.

The league’s new postseason overtime rules are now in effect, meaning a field goal on the first possession of overtime doesn’t end the game. Instead, if the team receiving the overtime kickoff kicks a field goal on the first drive, the other team would have a chance to either tie the game with a field goal (at which point it would be sudden death from there) or win the game with a touchdown. A touchdown or safety at any point in overtime would win the game.

So will the new rule make teams more or less likely to play for overtime? And could it make teams decide to kick, rather than receive, at the start of overtime?

We won’t really know until we see playoff overtime, but Saints coach Sean Payton said today that it could make him handle late-game strategy differently.

“I think you’ll pay attention to how the game is progressing,” Payton said. “How the first four quarters have gone would predicate your decision on how you would handle it.”

So we’ll have to wait and see whether it makes a difference if one of the 11 postseason games
    ends with the new and (the league hopes) improved overtime.
    Points Awarded:

Bill Dozer gave Fishhead 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bill Dozer gave Fishhead 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

This should have been the case during the REGULAR SEASON also............makes no sense to have it only for the playoffs.

l7ustin
    l7ustin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2724

first ive heard of this

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

I would definitely kickoff under these rules

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    I would definitely kickoff under these rules
    I'm not sure I necessairly agree with that...

I think it depends on the game. Is it 10-10 and defenses have totally dominated? If it is, I agree with you. Id kick off, get a stop, get good field position, kick a field goal and get the win.

If the score is 45-45 and nobody has stopped anybody. Id take the ball, score a TD, game over, drive safely on your way home.

Doc

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really like the rule.

I hate to see a good team lose just because the flip of a coin, and the other team had a decent return and 1 first down, then bombs a 55 yard FG.

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Thanks for the heads up Fish!

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

this is ridiculous and insane ;

If they want whine and cry about the over time rules, change it to full periods, none of this if-then crap.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11905

Good stuff fishy.

Rules are a littlemore complex then I previously thought.

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Good reminder Fish. I had forgotten.

JimmysEgo
    JimmysEgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

this happened to me playing Madden 2011. i was like "what the hell!?!" then i was like, "oh yeah....." i kicked a field goal and thought the game was over but it said i had to kick off. i won anyway, i actually picked up a fumble and ran it in for a touchdown so i scored twice in overtime.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good job Fishhead. Thanks for giving us the heads up on this one. I had totally forgot about this. Another thing to consider when capping a game. Also I agree with the new OT rules. It just seems more fair now. Before a team would win on luck of the coin flip. Now if that happens the other team has the opportunity to respond. I also am in agreement with you they should do this even during the regular season. Why just only the playoffs? Ya know.

DeeWizzle
    DeeWizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    This should have been the case during the REGULAR SEASON also............makes no sense to have it only for the playoffs.
    Agreed. It doesn't make sense to change ruIes for the post season. OnIy thing worse is the ingame change of Ref pIacement for the Iast two minutes. Either Ieave them back there or don't put them back there at aII.

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

I always want the ball 1st

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I like the rule change and if it works in the post season then I would say they will use it during the regular season next year.

dherd
    dherd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

good post - i had forgotten about the change

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

NFL should go to college rules, but instead of starting at 25, start at maybe 50 yrd line

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

should make things more interesting

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Basically if you bet the over/under you can be screwed big time in OT.

There is no way I am playing over/unders in playoffs.
    Last edited by pavyracer; 01-04-11 at 12:06 PM.

mcbaseball10
    mcbaseball10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1905

Quote Originally Posted by JimmysEgo View Post
    this happened to me playing Madden 2011. i was like "what the hell!?!" then i was like, "oh yeah....." i kicked a field goal and thought the game was over but it said i had to kick off. i won anyway, i actually picked up a fumble and ran it in for a touchdown so i scored twice in overtime.
    What did you say after you won, "Hell yeah!"

Sildenafil
    Sildenafil's Avatar Become A Pro!

What happens in this situation:
    Team A receives first, doesn't score, punts back.
    Team B doesn't score on next possession, punts back.

Does it then go to sudden death where Team A would win with a field goal on next possession or does Team B get a chance to reply?

Is it only sudden death if there are two field goals on first two possessions or sudden death after each team gets a chance to score?

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Can't wait to see an OT game now.

mcbaseball10
    mcbaseball10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1905

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Basically if you bet the over/under you can be screwed big time in OT. There is not way I am playing over/unders in playoffs.
    How many playoff games have actually gone to overtime throughout the years though?

kmoney
    kmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

so it only applies to the first possession? ex: team 1 gets the ball and punts, then team 2 punts, team 1 can then kick the field goal to win?

jetsjets1028
    jetsjets1028's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1363

yes there are i guess

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Sildenafil View Post
    What happens in this situation:
    Team A receives first, doesn't score, punts back.
    Team B doesn't score on next possession, punts back.

Does it then go to sudden death where Team A would win with a field goal on next possession or does Team B get a chance to reply?

Is it only sudden death if there are two field goals on first two possessions or sudden death after each team gets a chance to score?
    From what I understand the only time this rule applies is if the team receiving the ball in OT kicks a FG on the opening drive in OT.

If they score a TD, ball is intercepted, ball is fumbled, ball is punted etc the other team can score however they want to win the game without giving the ball back to other team after scoring. Also if each team punts once then it's sudden death from there after.

The rule was placed so that the team winning the coin toss can't win the game with a FG on first drive.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

Also if you do onside kick surprise and get the ball, you can go ahead to win with a field goal. But if you don't get the ball, and they score a field goal, you still have a chance to answer. Right?

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

Will be very interesting to see(if it comes into play, if it doesn't we will never know for sure) how some coaches play the OT. Some will make their own decision, some may discuss it with ther assistant coaches. Would be nice if the team captains had some input, I think that would be cool.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

I'd still want the ball first.

If you decide to kick, you run the risk of giving up a TD, even on a fluke play, and without getting a chance to get your offense on the field, you're eliminated. If you take the ball first, you're more in control; you can win the game outright with a touchdown or, at worst, get the 3 points and turn it over to your defense.

This is pretty much a no-brainer to me.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

Wow I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. Could potentially help an over, esp a 2nd half over, though OT is not that common. But in a close game, this could certainly help a 2H over.

And yes, under this rule, I'd definitely rather kickoff first and know what you need. No brainer.

So, like college, they could go back and forth with scoring I guess. Although much tougher having to do it off a kickoff. But if you get it first you gotta try to get a TD because a FG might not be enough.

Hopefully we'll get an OT game to watch this play out. Fun.

Edit: If the receiving team kicks a FG and the other team kicks a FG back.....then its sudden death....who gets the ball??? Another coin flip???

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

Rule won't have much impact IMO

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Wow I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. Could potentially help an over, esp a 2nd half over, though OT is not that common. But in a close game, this could certainly help a 2H over.

And yes, under this rule, I'd definitely rather kickoff first and know what you need. No brainer.

So, like college, they could go back and forth with scoring I guess. Although much tougher having to do it off a kickoff. But if you get it first you gotta try to get a TD because a FG might not be enough.

Hopefully we'll get an OT game to watch this play out. Fun.

Edit: If the receiving team kicks a FG and the other team kicks a FG back.....then its sudden death....who gets the ball??? Another coin flip???
    I don't think you understand the rule.

If a team scores a TD on first possession the game is over. The other team will not get the ball back. The only time the other team gets the ball back is if the team receiving the ball after coin toss scores a FG on first drive.

And after each team scores a FG (if scored on first drive) it goes to sudden death. Also if teams don't score on each of their first possession it goes to sudden death.

So the most possible points scored in OT is 12 (assuming each team trades FG on first drives and a TD is scored to break tie later.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

I agree that teams winning the toss still want to receive ball first. The advantage of winning toss is much smaller than old rule, but still there. Just watch out for the onside kick though.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I don't think you understand the rule.

If a team scores a TD on first possession the game is over. The other team will not get the ball back. The only time the other team gets the ball back is if the team receiving the ball after coin toss scores a FG on first drive.

And after each team scores a FG (if scored on first drive) it goes to sudden death. Also if teams don't score on each of their first possession it goes to sudden death.

So the most possible points scored in OT is 12 (assuming each team trades FG on first drives and a TD is scored to break tie later.

As usual Pavy gets the concept

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Really dumb to start this rule now, NFL are morons.

123 Last