tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

it's a good rule I think, eliminates the coin toss win by default alot of the times. Good also since they aren't going stupid with it like college ball and give each team multiple scores in overtime. I've been screwed on the totals that way in the past.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

could make things interesting cuz how do you really determine if you wanna kick or receive

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I dont have a problem with this new rule, should make for some interesting O/U swings if a game goes to overtime. Imagine going into overtime and you need 4 points to cover an Over? Or a team laying 7.5, kick a FG then pick-6 for the cover?

Crazy!

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    I dont have a problem with this new rule, should make for some interesting O/U swings if a game goes to overtime. Imagine going into overtime and you need 4 points to cover an Over? Or a team laying 7.5, kick a FG then pick-6 for the cover?

Crazy!
    I doubt a team will try to score a TD after a pick unless is in the endzone. Most likely they will take a knee to end the game.

IHateFixed
    IHateFixed's Avatar Become A Pro!

LAS VEGAS decides the last play

squintz4
    squintz4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

thanks for the heads up fish, forgot about this rule

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9617

no idea what you posted, did you type it right???

what do you mean if a team gets a fg they can kick a fg or go for a td????????????

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    no idea what you posted, did you type it right???

what do you mean if a team gets a fg they can kick a fg or go for a td????????????
    If the team that wins the toss in OT and chooses to receive kicks a FG...the opponent gets a chance to tie or win the game

ttwarrior1

from your post it sounds like if team kicks a fg they get ball in same spot and can kick a fg?

ttwarrior1

still makes no sense. I know the game doesn't end but you posted after that it goes to sudden death. You mean the team that kicks the fg, then kicks off to the other team just like a regular overtime or they get the ball on 30 yard line or something

ttwarrior1

if thats a case only a moron would want to receive the ball first, 2nd team has the advantage

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mlb View Post
    could make things interesting cuz how do you really determine if you wanna kick or receive
    A team will never defer, because if a TD is scored on the 1st drive the game is over.
    still makes no sense. I know the game doesn't end but you posted after that it goes to sudden death. You mean the team that kicks the fg, then kicks off to the other team just like a regular overtime or they get the ball on 30 yard line or something
    Team A kicks a FG then kicks off to team B, team B kicks a FG, then the next score of any kind wins.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

if thats a case only a moron would want to receive the ball first, 2nd team has the advantage
    They can return the kickoff for a TD. That will win the game for them without the other team ever getting the ball. Or if they had a good kickoff return then they can punt deep and pin them down deep in their end. So there are many advantages of opting to receive the opening kickoff.

SHADYLANKY
    Update your status
    SHADYLANKY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

I forgot about this new rule. I would think most teams would still want the ball 1st. A TD and it is over. Unless the teams D is killing the other team take the ball. 12 points in OT won't happen very often but it could be a pain in the ass when it does. BOL to everyone in the playoffs. I sure could use some in the NFL.

steveC3
    steveC3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

i love it only if it helps the jets beat the colts lol

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Teams will try harder to get a TD on first possession, instead of just a FG. Could screw up some +3 to +6 pt bets.

A team could win by 9 pts in OT now. FG plus INT returned for 6 (no PAT).

JimmysEgo
    JimmysEgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by mcbaseball10 View Post
    What did you say after you won, "Hell yeah!"
    I was yelling at my wife, "come look at this!!"

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Hmm. I honestly don't know, bur they may just revert to the college rule in this regard, i.e., if the team that is leading by 3 either intercepts or recovers a fumble, the game is over and the ball is dead with no further advancement.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Hmm. I honestly don't know, bur they may just revert to the college rule in this regard, i.e., if the team that is leading by 3 either intercepts or recovers a fumble, the game is over and the ball is dead with no further advancement.
    In college the OT plays start on the opponent's half. It's a simulated set-up. It ends when the purpose of the simulation is decided.

During live play an INT can still be regained by the team that just lost the ball, if the player with the ball loses it back (like Chargers some years ago in playoffs against Patriots). There is no simulation, as in college. So no reason to simulate the ending.

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 39525

so if first team scores a Field goal. Then the 2nd team scores a FG. Does that mean 1st team need to score a TD still to end it? What if they kick a 2nd fg. Does that win it? Or does if 2nd team kick another FG... we are back to the beginning?

What if first team scores FG. Then other team punts. They can kick another FG and that would be to win the game correct?

JimmysEgo
    JimmysEgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

i'm not 100% sure, but i think after the second team ties with their field goal, then it goes to sudden death. they just got a chance.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Someone ran a simulation on this rule. Instead of the 60-40 advantage for the receiving team, now it goes about 56-44. If the TD in first possession is not an automatic win, it goes about 52-48.

I still do not know why they did not go for the logical solution: Two 5-minute periods.

Finally, does anyone know how the onside kick would be considered in the kickoff of OT for playoff games? If the kicking team recovers, is it a sudden death or fist possession?

maersksealand
    maersksealand's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would like to see a link...I don't trust Fishhead at all...this guy is able to invent stories to grab few betpoints

samdapatriotsfan
    samdapatriotsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1040

Quote Originally Posted by starfire View Post
    I always want the ball 1st
    And let me guess...

You're gonna score?*

*Source Matt Hasselcrack 2007 NFL playoffs

samdapatriotsfan
    samdapatriotsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1040

Quote: Originally Posted by mcbaseball10
    What did you say after you won, "Hell yeah!"

Quote Originally Posted by JimmysEgo View Post
    I was yelling at my wife, "come look at this!!"

My wife hates when I do this, her standard response is 'Like I give a fvkk!'

However I would probably have done the same thing, defensive scores can be quite exciting.
    Last edited by samdapatriotsfan; 01-04-11 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting

Statman
    Statman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2433

Nice detail FH.

Many thanks.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post

Crazy!
    I guess it's theoretically possible, but why would a team bother to run back an interception? Seems pretty unlikely.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Teams will try harder to get a TD on first possession, instead of just a FG. Could screw up some +3 to +6 pt bets.

Good point. I think it slightly reduces the likelihood of a 3 point win and reduces the value of the '3' because before an OT game almost always meant a 3 point win, but now a 6 point win is more possible. Good for 3.5 to -5.5 bets.

dollarbill
    dollarbill's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 967

What are Vegas odds on.....

If there will be an OT game this weekend?

I'll take Yes........

Jive
    Jive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

Dang, forgot all about this. Thanks for the reminder!

drew17
    drew17's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love the new rule about overtime. majority of teams that start with the ball will probably still kick a field goal but I like to see that the other teams offense has the opportunity to tie it again.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 249

This will be an interesting new twist on things.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 249

Might cause a weaker team to gamble in the 4th quarter and go fora win instead of the tie.

alukk
    alukk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8012

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    This should have been the case during the REGULAR SEASON also............makes no sense to have it only for the playoffs.
    Agreed.

Robust
    Losing
    Robust's Avatar Become A Pro!

i like this.. hopefully it will be incorporated into the regular season soon!

Robust

First 123 Last