nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE
    nobs's Avatar Become A Pro!

THE NFL needs to change playoff rules

Why does a team deserve to be in the playoffs and get a home game simply because they won their division ?

For real, the NFC WEST leader is 5-6 right now and that division will probably be won by an 8-8 team who played a shit schedule. So this team will get a home playoff game while at least 1 Eleven win team doesnt make the playoffs.

This is like putting TCU in the championship game simply because they won their shit division.

Every team in the NFC west plays a SHIT schedule and they will all lose at least 8 games. Let the NFC West winner go to hell and put in one of the 4 NFC teams who are 7-4 and not even in 1st place.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I agree. 8-8 and below should simply not be playoff eligible. If you don't post a winning record, you don't get in. Period.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Well not every team plays all others. Maybe if they have 30 games a season and every team plays with each other at least once then the teams with best records regardless of divisions can go to the playoffs.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Well, just get rid of the divisions then have 1 big conference wide division and award the seeds accordingly.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Sounds like your a Giants fan? Thats just the way it is. NFC East, North and South are all tough divisions. I find it a stupid rule but thats just the way it is.

scarp
    scarp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Crazy how Seattle is winning

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Well, just get rid of the divisions then have 1 big conference wide division and award the seeds accordingly.
    I've heard this idea tossed around. I'm liking it more and more as I think about it. Divisional rivalries are overrated.

letitburn
    letitburn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I've heard this idea tossed around. I'm liking it more and more as I think about it. Divisional rivalries are overrated.
    Yea they should change to the NBA style

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Quote Originally Posted by letitburn View Post
    Yea they should change to the NBA style
    Doesn't a division winner get an automatic bid in the NBA?

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

It is cyclical. NFC North was garbage 3 or 4 years ago. Now it is West's turn. If you win your division, you are in. I could see possibly tweaking the rules that a Wild Card team who is 12-4 should get the home game over a 9-7 division winner, but doubt that would happen. Either Pats or Jets will likely be going on road to play a team or two with a worse record than them this season.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Quote Originally Posted by nobs View Post
    Why does a team deserve to be in the playoffs and get a home game simply because they won their division ?

For real, the NFC WEST leader is 5-6 right now and that division will probably be won by an 8-8 team who played a shit schedule. So this team will get a home playoff game while at least 1 Eleven win team doesnt make the playoffs.

This is like putting TCU in the championship game simply because they won their shit division.

Every team in the NFC west plays a SHIT schedule and they will all lose at least 8 games. Let the NFC West winner go to hell and put in one of the 4 NFC teams who are 7-4 and not even in 1st place.
    No system is perfect. This is not comparable to TCU's situation at all.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Really good chance the NFL WEST leader will be 6-8 heading into week 15.

Thats a joke.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

agree 100%, hate it

just take the best 6 records from each conference, very simple solution

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

false, the division winner should be awarded for winning the division. No one can predict that a division will be this bad

If a team that wins the division DOES NOT have a better record than a WILD CARD team than the WILD CARD team should have home advantage.

That's the rule that should be changed. If you win your division, you deserve a playoff spot, even if you are 6-10 or 7-9, but you don't deserve home court for being a division winner over a better record wild card team

xxxvince
    xxxvince's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

i tshink is ok with the way it is now.. no team will forever stay bad

soli
    soli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22124

I don't think teams with losing records should be in the playoff.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by SamsNCharge99 View Post
    false, the division winner should be awarded for winning the division. No one can predict that a division will be this bad

If a team that wins the division DOES NOT have a better record than a WILD CARD team than the WILD CARD team should have home advantage.

That's the rule that should be changed. If you win your division, you deserve a playoff spot, even if you are 6-10 or 7-9, but you don't deserve home court for being a division winner over a better record wild card team

I would agree with this solution

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1794

Then teams like Atlanta/Philly/N.O. should completely blow out teams like the 49ers simply because they are so much better and play in a BCS conference.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    agree 100%, hate it

just take the best 6 records from each conference, very simple solution

Agree with you.

The NFL likes to keep as many teams mathematically alive for as long as possible so they wont change the division winner gets in the playoff rule. Thats for sure.

The way it is now even SF's fans think they have a shot. Without the division winner rule all 4 of these teams season would be over.

The way it is, it will probably be a sell out week 17 when the 6-9 Rams face the 6-9 Seahawks for the division championship.

But I agree its BS letting a 7-9 team in.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

the division winner goes to the playoffs. Whats so hard to understand about that or why should that be changed???

Just like BCS Conference winners go to BCS Bowls. These are easy rules to comprehend & just because you dont like them, well, nobody really gives a fuk

k13

San Diego finished 8-8 and beat 12-4 Colts remember?

Records don't mean shit. Who's to say the Colts deserved to be in the playoffs, they can't even win one game.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by THE PROFIT View Post
    the division winner goes to the playoffs. Whats so hard to understand about that or why should that be changed???

Just like BCS Conference winners go to BCS Bowls. These are easy rules to comprehend & just because you dont like them, well, nobody really gives a fuk

Well a lot of people agree with me, and BCS conferences are BCS conferences for a reason, because they are good Conf's. Not EVERY Conf winner goes to a BCS Bowl so you kind of make my point and disprove yours.

??????

THE PROFIT

These are the rules, and you cant go changing them because your team gets a shit break or a shit team gets to the playoffs & gets a better advantage,

they were asked to win their division, no matter how ugly it was they did it, so thats how it is.

You cant make all the people happy all the time, but this system works, you cant argue with that

THE PROFIT

Well a lot of people agree with me, and BCS conferences are BCS conferences for a reason, because they are good Conf's. Not EVERY Conf winner goes to a BCS Bowl so you kind of make my point and disprove yours.

??????
    I didnt say conf winners go to BCS bowls, I said BCS conf winners go to BCS bowls, so WTF are you talking about

A ton of people are bitching saying UCONN shouldnt be in a BCS bowl?? Why???

NFL div winners go to the playoffs!!!! BCS Conf winners go to BCS Bowls

How the fuk do I prove your point & disprove mine???

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    San Diego finished 8-8 and beat 12-4 Colts remember?

Records don't mean shit. Who's to say the Colts deserved to be in the playoffs, they can't even win one game.

Yeah you're right.

SD got to play cupcakes all year long, while the Colts played the #1 hardest schedule in the NFL. Then even with winning 4 games less the Chargers got the home game, home crowd, home calls.

I already said that the records wont matter when one team gets to play a soft schedule then gets home game, home crowd, home calls.

For sure if the rules tilt the game far enough in favor of one team it wouldnt matter if it was a 2-14 team against a 14-2 team. I am sure we can create enough unfair rules to guarantee the 2-14 team wins.

k13

Don't worry the refs/nfl won't let the nfc west win a game in the playoffs.

JosephPavs
    JosephPavs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

If you had the Big 12 and SEC with the same rules as you are talking about would that be fair?

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

I didnt say conf winners go to BCS bowls, I said BCS conf winners go to BCS bowls, so WTF are you talking about

A ton of people are bitching saying UCONN shouldnt be in a BCS bowl?? Why???

NFL div winners go to the playoffs!!!! BCS Conf winners go to BCS Bowls

How the fuk do I prove your point & disprove mine???

BCS Conf's are good conferences. They were chosen for that reason. The winners of crap shit conferences like say the MAC dont go to a BCS bowl.

The example you used was to say that some college conf winners go to BCS Bowls while others dont therefore all NFL division winners should go to the playoffs.

The example you cited supports my position, not yours.

I realize the NFL rules arent going to be changed because the NFL is more about keeping as many teams in as long as possible. The NFL is more about money than fairness. Of course that wont change, but this forum is discussion and even though it wont change its unfair for a 7-9 divison winner to get a home playoff game while an 11-5 team may be left out.

The NFC WEST is the Nfl version of the MAC and it doesnt DESERVE a playoffteam even though I know the rule wont be changed.

THE PROFIT

nobs, Im sorry, but the NFL is a pro league, so they all deserve to be there in the NFL playoffs.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Don't worry the refs/nfl won't let the nfc west win a game in the playoffs.

Its been my experience in the NFL ( and most sports ) that home teams gets the calls. Pass interference/holding can be called on just about every play. Its just about what the refs feel like calling.

nobs
    5 DIMES IS A JOKE

nobs, Im sorry, but the NFL is a pro league, so they all deserve to be there in the NFL playoffs.

Ok, but I still hope the division winner loses first playoff game. Would just be a travesty to see St Louis or Seattle knock out a great team just by virtue of getting the home game.

If they must be in the playoffs they should at least have to go on the road and earn a victory

k13

Its been my experience in the NFL ( and most sports ) that home teams gets the calls. Pass interference/holding can be called on just about every play. Its just about what the refs feel like calling.
    I hope so. I could care less about those teams anyway, they are annoying and overplayed.

Tired of seeing the same old teams.

playoff upsets are great.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Ok, but I still hope the division winner loses first playoff game. Would just be a travesty to see St Louis or Seattle knock out a great team just by virtue of getting the home game.

If they must be in the playoffs they should at least have to go on the road and earn a victory
    Especially since San Francisco is going to win the division.

alexy
    alexy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1864

Divisions are unbalanced, thats the issue. Imo

ronjon619
    California Uber Alles
    ronjon619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Niners season ends tomorrow night.

12 Last