SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Culpepper confirms turning down Packers

Ocala News

Daunte Culpepper did indeed turn down an offer from the Green Bay Packers, the free agent NFL quarterback confirmed Saturday, but he declined to explain exactly why.

"It just wasn't good for either side," said Culpepper on a short break from fellow Vanguard High School graduate Drayton Florence's annual Make It Happen Youth Football Camp.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette reported this week that the Packers met with Culpepper and fellow free agent quarterbacks Quinn Gray and Gus Frerotte in an effort to fill the backup spot behind starter Aaron Rodgers. The report indicated that the team extended Culpepper a 1-year, $1 million contract offer, which Culpepper refused, leading the media to adopt the conventional wisdom that the Ocala native is waiting for a starting job, or at least a fair opportunity to earn one in training camp.

Culpepper confirmed Saturday that he did turn down the Packers' offer but said the report was "not the whole story," though he would not elaborate.
    Would've been interesting seeing him in a Packer uniform. They need some answer, because as my favorite media personality says, if Aaaron Rodgers is the answer, I'd love to know the question.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Rodgers should be fine. He was a first round pick in 2005, where some projected him as a possible #1 overall rather than Alex Smith. He's sat and studied behind a legend for 3 years. If there was ever a player with enough talent and experience to make his first start in a situation like this, Aaron Rodgers is the guy.

I'll admit, the lack of experience on the roster behind Rodgers at QB does make me wonder. But I really didn't see Culpepper being the type of solid veteran presence I was looking for. I say the Packers dodged a bullet that Culpepper didn't want the deal. He'd be more of a distraction than a veteran asset as a backup QB.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Culpepper is definitely not the answer for any team. Rodgers.. well, he should hold up alright, but we'll see.