bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bears waive Benson following 2nd arrest

If the Cowboys didn't already have there backfield set already. We all know he would have ended up in Dallas, because Jerry Jones seems to love to sign all those "another chance type player".

Bears waive Benson following 2nd arrest

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP)—The Chicago Bears thought Cedric Benson would be their next great running back. He’ll instead go down as one of their biggest disappointments.

The Bears waived Benson on Monday after his second alcohol-related arrest in a month, ending a rocky three-season tenure in which he failed to live up to expectations after starring at Texas.

“Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate,” general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. “As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions.”

The troubled running back, who didn’t participate in organized team activities Monday after telling the Chicago Tribune he would, issued an apology through sports attorney David Cornwell while maintaining his innocence.

“I apologize for making the poor decision to drink and drive during the early morning of Saturday, June 7th,” Benson said in a statement. “Given the incident last month, it was a particularly bad decision. I have no excuse for this lack of judgment. Though I strongly believe that I am not guilty of any crime, I realize that the public and the Bears organization hold me to higher standard. Though my local attorneys will continue to work hard to prove my innocence, I confess to using poor judgment. Please accept my deepest apology.”

The Bears had already made it clear they were losing patience with Benson when they drafted Tulane’s Matt Forte in the second round in April. Three ineffective, injury-plagued years during which Benson at times annoyed teammates with blunt comments left management looking for another running back. And that was before the recent brushes with the law.

“When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team,” Angelo said. “Those who fail to understand the importance of ‘team’ will not play for the Chicago Bears.”

Benson’s rocky relationship with the Bears took a turn for the worse when he was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday after failing a field sobriety test. The former first-round draft pick was released on bond.

He was also arrested May 5 and charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest on a lake near Austin. Both cases are pending.

Benson’s agent Eugene Parker did not return calls seeking comment, but his attorney, Sam Bassett in Austin, said Monday he was disappointed the Bears waived Benson so quickly. Although Bassett said he believes Benson to be innocent of DWI, “he knows he made a mistake going out drinking and driving.”

Bassett said Saturday that the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner, but didn’t think he was intoxicated, although he acknowledged his client would “probably be in trouble with his team.”

Benson was pulled over for running a red light and refused to take a breath test or provide blood samples Saturday, Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said.

Bassett, however, said Benson thought the light was yellow when he went through around 2 a.m. but stopped immediately when police appeared, and he added that Benson told him he wasn’t speeding or driving recklessly.

Bassett also said Benson offered to provide police a blood sample for testing and believes video of the arrest will show his client did well in the field sobriety test, although he hasn’t seen it yet.

Texas law allows a driver to take a blood or breath test for alcohol content, Bassett said. When Benson offered to take a blood test, the arresting officer told him he’d have to take a breath test, which Benson refused, Bassett said.

Bassett said he has requested a copy of Benson’s arrest videotape and hoped to watch it with a representative of the NFL and or the Bears, as early as this week.

“They pulled the trigger early,” Bassett said of the Bears. “It’s a disappointment to me.”

A few promising glimpses aside, Benson hasn’t lived up to the hype that accompanied him to the NFL when the Bears took him with the fourth pick in 2005. He has 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 3.8 yards a carry for the Bears after running for more than 5,500 yards and 64 touchdowns at Texas.

Benson also has a June 30 court date for the May arrest while operating a 30-foot boat on Lake Travis—an incident in which authorities used pepper spray to subdue him. No court date had been set for the latest incident as of Monday afternoon.

With Benson gone, Forte has a big opportunity.

“I’m not going to sit here and doubt myself or my talent,” Forte said before Benson was waived. “I believe that I can come in and play.”

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Forte is a lot better anyway. Later Benson have a nice life loser

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ced

SlickFazzer
    SlickFazzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2923

Ced: Hire a limo driver from here on out. Not worth the risk - you can afford it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Benson was horrible in Chicago so this is not big news

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Yet another Longhorn running back to come out of UT high on potential and fail to produce in the NFL or become far more trouble than they're worth. Just aren't any Earl Campbell's left in the stables at the 40 acre ranch, I guess, at least there haven't been under Mack Brown.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

About 2 years too late.

gordon gekko
    gordon gekko's Avatar Become A Pro!

I bet they regret giving up Jones now, Benson was horrible in Chicago. There was another thread about this somewhere.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SlickFazzer View Post
    Ced: Hire a limo driver from here on out. Not worth the risk - you can afford it.
    Either that or drink at home. Why even chance it. He deserves to get cut.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Benson's heart for football is very low. He will always be a back up. This is not a big deal for him to be released. Hell, the Bears were stupid for drafting this heartless wonderboy.

Mattn3236
    Mattn3236's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don't forget about Wolfe that guy can take off and this is his chance!

purecarnagge
    purecarnagge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by Mattn3236 View Post
    Don't forget about Wolfe that guy can take off and this is his chance!
    you mean the midget who can't break a tackle. He trips over his own shoe laces trying to juke people... Guys friggen terrible. He's got good hands in the passing game and thats it... oh and he can run really fast when the LB isn't killing him for negative yardage.

gizmo2431
    gizmo2431's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8039

As a big Chicago Bears fan, I'm glad as hell this happened to let him go and terminate that ridiculous contract for an under performing RB.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by gordon gekko View Post
    I bet they regret giving up Jones now, Benson was horrible in Chicago.
    They were regretting this move last year when Benson was just horrible. But the Bears had a lot of money tied up in him and they were too stubborn or stupid to see they should have kept Jones and got rid of Benson.

Doc JS

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo2431 View Post
    As a big Chicago Bears fan, I'm glad as hell this happened to let him go and terminate that ridiculous contract for an under performing RB.
    Gizmo,
    I certainly have no problem with the Bears getting rid of Benson. It was a "gots to go situation" as far as I'm concerned.

As a Bears fan, where do you see the offense coming from for them this year? No QB's that anyone else in the league would want. No running backs. No wide receivers that strike fear in the heart of opposing D co-ordinators.

Besides Devin Hester returning kicks and punts, where do the Bears get their offense. They could be historically bad this season on offense. Don't you agree?

Doc

gizmo2431

They very well could be historically bad, but it seems like when that is going to be expected they seem to pick it up somehow. LIke the year they went to the superbowl... Rex had a few good games, but other positions seemed to pick the team up. The RB position is up for grabs, and I can't see it being a strong point for the team. I like the lil guy Garrett Wolfe to possibly step up for some yards, but everyone will have their eye on rookie Forte to probably be the man. While that's not a bad thing, the chances of him being a breakthrough running back are pretty slim. And another dream position is the QB like you mentioned. I personally have hated Rex, and I didn't want to give him any chances. He's too short of a QB for me and doesn't see the field well. There is the possibility though that he's matured during his injured times and will possibly make less freaky decisions. He needs to hold onto the ball and make smart plays. I could see him having a personal breakthrough year, but that doesn't say much compared to the rest of the QBs in the league as a breakthrough year for him would be an average year overall. At the WR they screwed unless someone steps up and I don't see that happening. Hester is their only big play maker in the WR position, and I bet they'll rely heavily on the TE position with Olson and Clark for passing yards.

While the opportunity is there for them to be historically bad, I think that if they play smart with the guys they have they could pull off a decent season. I don't expect to see big plays on the offense, but more likely short and small ball movement... I got my fingers crossed that they can pull off a decent season so I have something to watch on Sundays here in Chicago.

Doc JS

They very well could be historically bad, but it seems like when that is going to be expected they seem to pick it up somehow. LIke the year they went to the superbowl... Rex had a few good games, but other positions seemed to pick the team up. The RB position is up for grabs, and I can't see it being a strong point for the team. I like the lil guy Garrett Wolfe to possibly step up for some yards, but everyone will have their eye on rookie Forte to probably be the man. While that's not a bad thing, the chances of him being a breakthrough running back are pretty slim. And another dream position is the QB like you mentioned. I personally have hated Rex, and I didn't want to give him any chances. He's too short of a QB for me and doesn't see the field well. There is the possibility though that he's matured during his injured times and will possibly make less freaky decisions. He needs to hold onto the ball and make smart plays. I could see him having a personal breakthrough year, but that doesn't say much compared to the rest of the QBs in the league as a breakthrough year for him would be an average year overall. At the WR they screwed unless someone steps up and I don't see that happening. Hester is their only big play maker in the WR position, and I bet they'll rely heavily on the TE position with Olson and Clark for passing yards.

While the opportunity is there for them to be historically bad, I think that if they play smart with the guys they have they could pull off a decent season. I don't expect to see big plays on the offense, but more likely short and small ball movement... I got my fingers crossed that they can pull off a decent season so I have something to watch on Sundays here in Chicago.
    Gizmo,
    I know it's June 13th, but what is your prediction for the Bears this season record-wise? Do you see the Bears in the playoffs?

Doc

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    Gizmo,
    I know it's June 13th, but what is your prediction for the Bears this season record-wise? Do you see the Bears in the playoffs?

Doc
    Anything is possible. But they'd pretty much have to take the NFC North. For that to happen, Aaron Rodgers & Adrian Peterson need to both have very bad seasons.

BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!

Alex Jones said he was set up the 1st time.

Alex Jones the conspiracy sect libertarian radio show host said he was set up the 1st time.I try to have an open mind about athletes getting in trouble where I don't want to take sides with either the cops or athletes until I know the full story.I will say this much,athletes should know better than to hang out at bars and big crowded areas where they are ripe for the picking by babes screaming rape,rogue cops and tough guys who want to pick fights with them.Allot of athletes tend to walk up to tables of people together as couples at bars where they think the broads are going to go with them and that's what sets allot of brawls off.

You just have a bad mix these days of cocky inflated ego athletes,crooked cops who are tazer happy and sluts.

gizmo2431

I hate to say it, but I do not see them winning their division. I think Minnesota takes it this year. Possible wild card. As slacker00 said above, anything is possible and that "anything" happened the year they went to the superbowl because they didn't deserve to be there when you lay the facts out that year. I hope I'm very wrong and a play maker steps up for the Bears.

gizmo2431

one more thing, initial thoughts say 7-9 record.

Duffy
    Duffy's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Bears were stupid for picking him anyway in the 1st place. Chicago will pick some one up that gets cut late.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    The Bears were stupid for picking him anyway in the 1st place. Chicago will pick some one up that gets cut late.
    I can't argue with that fact at all sir, because I said that same thing back on draft day when they picked him.

purecarnagge
    purecarnagge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

I think the bears have a very favorable schedule.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Former Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was ordered Monday to install an ignition-lock breath tester in his car after he was charged with drunken driving.

Benson was charged in separate incidents of boating and driving while intoxicated. Travis County Court-at-Law Judge Elisabeth Earle ordered him to install the device within 72 hours as a condition of his bail at a pretrial hearing.

The device prevents the car from starting if it detects alcohol.

Earle said the ignition lock requirement is common for defendants facing multiple DWI charges and does not indicate whether Benson is guilty or innocent.

Benson's attorney did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment.

On May 3, the former Texas star was charged with boating while intoxicated on Lake Travis and resisting arrest. A few weeks later, he was charged with driving while intoxicated when he was pulled over in downtown Austin.

The Bears cut Benson after the second arrest. Chicago drafted him in the first round in 2005.

Source