themanbeast9
    themanbeast9's Avatar Become A Pro!

Julius Peppers finished in Carolina?

"The Carolina Panthers are still in negotiations with their star defensive end Julius Peppers, who becomes a free agent in 2008, over a contract extension. So the question is, should the Panthers give Peppers the big money contract?"

Full post is here: Carolina Panthers Blog

If Peppers doesn't resign, or holds out for the season, how do you think the Panthers will cope with his loss?

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

This is a tough tough decision. Firstly, he flat out SUCKED last year. The year prior? horrible (he had a lot of early 'garbage' sacks). The year prior? An animal.
    To sign him, you're going to have to go over 20 mil guarenteed, likely, since he CAN be the best player in the NFL at any position - but history has shown pass rushers break down fast and the spiral down isn't pretty (Jevon Kearse is a very good comparison). So few have had long careers at a strong level.

I think Carolina's best option is to let him sit, deal him now, if not, franchise him next year and deal him then. 2 years of bad football does not deserve top tier money, but he's got top tier talent -- when he plays. I have a strong feeling that if they lock him up for a career contract, they're going to cut him in 2 years (after another crap year this coming season and a bad one the following year)- and be out 20-35 million bux.

I think Carolina is crazy on giving him the biggest deal ever for a defensive player - however, had he been productive last year and the year prior, it'd be a no brainer. He had NOTHING last year - no burst, no push and he wasn't making plays that he normally made. He just didn't look like the most dominant player at any position in the NFL like he had been previously. He still ran plays down, but on many of them, he was there as a token rather than hauling the guy down - it was hard to watch him play, just like the rest of the team last year. It's a shame, they're one of the best football teams to watch year in year out. Fox is a heluva coach.

thegreatdiatchi
    thegreatdiatchi's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have to agree with McBa1n on this one. Most NFL players - great or not - wear down fast and the Panthers would be better served trading him for draft picks than signing him to a big deal.