bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Saban offers help to Ricky Williams

Saban offers help to Dolphins' troubled running back

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer
    February 24, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban is offering his support to troubled running back Ricky Williams.

In his first comments about Williams' latest failed drug test, Saban said Friday he wanted to help Williams stay clean, avoid any additional trouble and help the NFL keep drug tests confidential as required by league rules.

"We want to support every player, and I think every player knows he has a responsibility for what to do and what not to do," Saban said. "As a coach, I also feel a responsibility to put a player in the best situation possible so he can have success."

Saban lauded Williams' performance last season and was upset he even had to address the issue at the NFL's annual scouting combine.

In his opening remarks, Saban asked the media to respect the league's rules, and after persistent questioning, Saban became testy in his responses.

He appeared most upset by the fact word leaked out about Williams' latest test. The results are being appealed, but no ruling is expected until April.

Saban insisted he would work with the league office to assure other players' results remain confidential.

"We all have a professional responsibility as clubs to live by the confidentiality rules, which are designed to protect players," Saban said. "However the information got out, I hope those people will take that responsibility and let us make any necessary changes. ... I'm going to be proactive in that effort."

Saban said he has talked to Williams, who is on a retreat in India, but has not asked the former rushing champ to return to the U.S. to deal with the situation. He declined to discuss the nature of his conversation.

Yet he seemed empathetic toward Williams, who has now violated the league's substance-abuse policy for the fourth time. Williams could be suspended for the entire 2006 season.

Previous positive tests were for marijuana, which Williams acknowledged using. But the latest test involved a drug other than marijuana, a person familiar with the case told The Associated Press on Monday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the NFL policy.

"Ricky did a fantastic job for us this year," Saban said. "If someone said, 'Who have you enjoyed coaching the most in all my years of football,' he'd be one of the top guys I've ever been around."

Last year, Williams missed the first four games of the season -- because of a failed drug test -- and split rushing duties with rookie Ronnie Brown. Williams rushed for 743 yards and scored six touchdowns, the second highest total on the team behind receiver Chris Chambers.

Williams retired and sat out the 2004 season. He still owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract, and was motivated to return to football at least partly by the need for a paycheck.

Since returning last season, the NFL has required him to undergo drug tests up to 10 times a month.

Saban said he was hopeful Williams could win the appeal.

"This is not something etched in stone until the league makes a ruling," Saban said. "But we plan to give ourselves the best possible plan."

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ricky is a lost cause. Saban should just give up on him.

bigboydan

i think your right ILL.

this guy just came back to pay the fish the money he owes them. now with this new drug charged levied against him, he's really screwed now.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i think your right ILL.

this guy just came back to pay the fish the money he owes them. now with this new drug charged levied against him, he's really screwed now.
    Of course I am right. Ricky is a joke. I hope he gets a lifetime ban.

bigboydan

well, he's sure heading in the right direction to achieve that goal you have set for him

Illusion

One more possitive test will get that done if I'm not mistaken.