Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rice to discuss role with Shanahan on Monday

Is Jerry Rice going to retire? We'll get a better idea after the future Hall of Fame receiver meets with Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan on Monday.

Rice told ESPN's Andrea Kremer that he will meet with Shanahan on Monday to get a better idea how the Broncos plan to use him in the upcoming season before announcing a decision to play this season or retire.
    When the Broncos cut down their roster to 53 players on Saturday, the 42-year-old Rice made the squad, but he potentially could be Denver's last option at receiver.

Darius Watts' strong performance in Friday night's 30-21 preseason victory over Arizona won him the No. 3 job behind Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie. Rice had moved ahead of Watts on the depth chart earlier in camp, but Watts' recent push changed the team's thinking.

In fact, Charlie Adams is expected to challenge Watts for the No. 3 job. Adams has been cut a couple times, and he's catching the ball well after getting contact. It will be hard for Rice to justify playing behind Watts and Adams, although surely Shanahan wouldn't let him be the No. 5 receiver and not suit up.

Rice signed with Denver this summer in hopes of finishing his career as a backup with the Broncos. He wanted to be the team's No. 3 receiver.

"That was a must for him," Rice's agent, Jim Steiner, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Workers at the hotel where Rice has stayed since he signed with Denver -- a golf resort close to the Broncos facility -- said Rice's golf clubs were gone, and he checked out of the hotel late last week.

Denver kept six receivers on its final roster, including Rice, Darius Watts, Charlie Adams and Todd Devoe.

After Denver's final preseason game Friday, Rice told the Denver Post: "Those guys deserve to be on the field. They worked real hard. The thing is, I'm going to hold my head high if it doesn't work out."

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I think he's going to retire. Class act. Too bad the Niners didn't take him on their roster as he wished.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I heard that the 49ers will sign him to a one day contract so he can retire with them.