RescueMe
    RescueMe's Avatar Become A Pro!

NFL rules change

"Five-yard Face Mask Eliminated

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the five-yard face mask penalty was eliminated Wednesday, April 2. Now, only the serious face mask will be called and will be assessed as a 15-yard penalty. The major foul will involve twisting or grabbing the face mask.

Field Goals Eligible for Review

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the proposal to review field goals was approved Wednesday, April 2. Certain field goals can now be reviewed by instant replay, including kicks that bounce off the uprights.

Force-outs Eliminated

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the proposal to eliminate force-out decisions on pass completions near the sidelines was approved Wednesday, April 2. With the rule change, officials will only have to decide whether a receiver landed in bounds or not.

Direct Snap Rule Changed

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports a direct snap from the center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, a direct snap from the center was ruled as a false start.

Coaches Can Defer Coin Toss Decision

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports NFL coaches can now defer a decision on the opening coin toss. Previously, the winner of the coin toss could only choose to receive or kick off.

Playoff Seeding Proposal Rejected

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Competition Committee shelved the proposal of changing the NFL playoff seeding by giving wild-card teams the chance to host playoff games."

I think these changes will be good for the game, no more BS penalties

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

The forceout change was needed. Too many receivers benefiting from tightroping the sideline. Problem was the refs just didn't understand the rule. The forceout should only be called in blatant situations, which was not done. They were calling it on every sideline hit. You have to give the defensive the ability to hit the receiver.

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Most all rule changes benefit the offense. The defense has always been handicapped. It is nice to see the defense get a break.

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    They were calling it on every sideline hit.
    Aren't we being a little BONES like here..?

A friend of mine told me they were going to vote on the issue of having your hair tucked in... Anyone know anything about this..?

Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    Most all rule changes benefit the offense. The defense has always been handicapped. It is nice to see the defense get a break.
    they do with this also:

Taking another technological step forward, NFL owners approved a communication device for defenses Tuesday.
    One defensive player will wear a helmet similar to what the quarterback is allowed on offense. Should that player leave the game, a teammate can be designated to also have the device. But only one defender with the device can be on the field at a time.

Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by ShamsWoof10 View Post
    Aren't we being a little BONES like here..?

A friend of mine told me they were going to vote on the issue of having your hair tucked in... Anyone know anything about this..?

I didn't know we were friends?

Anyway, of the AP stories I have read so far from the meetings, they have stated the changes that have been posted here and that other proposals were "shelved." Let's hope the hair falls into this catagory - what a collosal waste of time.

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsgirl View Post
    I didn't know we were friends?

Anyway, of the AP stories I have read so far from the meetings, they have stated the changes that have been posted here and that other proposals were "shelved." Let's hope the hair falls into this catagory - what a collosal waste of time.
    Not only do I think they should not allow hair to hang out to that extreme but they should not allow FAKE hair to hang out at all... It's just stupid to start with.. FAKE HAIR for guys on the football field..?

What does not make sense to me is they want to be as light as possible that's why helmets got lighter, Titanium facemasks are used by most NFL players and some skilled positions don't even wear certain pads anymore... Why is the hell add a clump of FAKE hair ? It doesn't make any sense..

thegreatdiatchi
    thegreatdiatchi's Avatar Become A Pro!

it's definitely good to see the defense getting more leverage. i do, however, think the playoff rules should have been changed. there is no way a division winner who is 8-8 should be home vs a wild card who is 12-4 or even 11-5.