SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Patriots to bring McFadden in for talk

The Patriots have considerable talent and depth at running back, yet that isn't stopping team officials from flying Darren McFadden up to Foxborough for a visit.

NFL teams are allowed to host up to 30 out-of-town prospects before the draft, and the Patriots' visit with the Arkansas back - scheduled for April 10-11 - should generate buzz relating to New England having the seventh overall draft choice.

Is there genuine interest in McFadden? Might it be a smoke screen? Or is it just due diligence as part of the scouting process?

As most of the heaviest hitters arrived in South Florida yesterday for the league's annual meeting, McFadden - who rushed for 1,830 yards and totaled 16 touchdowns last season - drew raves among some personnel executives. Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome called him "a great player."

Laurence Maroney, the Patriots' 2006 first-round draft choice, led the team in rushing last season (835 yards). Sammy Morris is the top backup, and he's attempting to return from a sternum clavicle separation that landed him on injured reserve after six games. Change-of-pacer Kevin Faulk logged the most playing time of any running back last season - primarily because of the emphasis on passing - while fullback types Heath Evans and Kyle Eckel also are on the roster.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick arrived yesterday; he did not attend last year. Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft, president Jonathan Kraft, vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli, and director of player personnel Nick Caserio also are in attendance.
    Interesting.

If he's available at 7, they can probably invest in a 5 year deal to him knowing they'd not be able to resign him once he blows up.

Source

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Can you imagine that offense if they go with McFadden? Scary.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Can you imagine that offense if they go with McFadden? Scary.
    No way he gets past Al Davis. This is right up his alley. The Big name.

Saunders FTW
    Saunders FTW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

man, they couldnt do more to power up that offense already

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I don't think the Pats will be there to take him at that spot and likely will trade back, but who knows. If he's there, I think you have to think long and hard about taking him.... But I have this feeling he will not be a Patriot.

thegreatdiatchi
    thegreatdiatchi's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have the feeling someone will trade up to get him. I'm not going to say it's gonna be Dallas but my gut feeling tells me the Pats or someone else is worried that he won't slip & they will give up a 2nd rounder this year or a first rounder next year to slide up & grab him.

Quebb Diesel
    Quebb Diesel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 82

can we say the rich get richer if this happens...