bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Marvin Lewis Deserves More Than That

Marvin Lewis should get a key to the city.

Bengals add 2 years to Marvin Lewis' contract

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Coach Marvin Lewis got a two-year extension Thursday for leading the Cincinnati Bengals to their first playoff appearance in 15 years, putting him under contract until 2010.

The Bengals also announced that their coaching staff will return intact for next season.

Cincinnati went 11-5 -- its first winning record since 1990 -- and won the AFC North during Lewis' third season running the team. The Bengals lost to eventual Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh in the first round of the playoffs.

The breakthrough season ended one of the longest stretches of futility in NFL history.

"Marvin has done a wonderful job for the football club on the field and off, and we want to reward his efforts and continue the relationship well into the future," team owner Mike Brown said.

The club also said that all of Lewis' assistants have received contracts that run through at least 2007.

"The stability of our excellent staff will be a key as we continue building toward a world championship team," Lewis said.

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Nexy year should be a big test for the team to see how Palmer comes back and can he be the Palmer he was this past year. Without that guy I dont care how many good wr they have its hard to win enough to make the playoffs esp. since its in the tough as shit afc.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'm really wonder how serious was palmer's injury really is.

the reports kept saying it was possable career ending, but i can't believe that to be the case in this day and age.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

Bengals wont be the team of this past season if Palmer dont come back healthy. He was the guy that carried them, and you can see that on all the Bengals players faces when Palmer went down in that playoff game.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i'm really wonder how serious was palmer's injury really is.

the reports kept saying it was possable career ending, but i can't believe that to be the case in this day and age.
    I agree that in this day and age, his chances of a return have to be good. I think the reports of "career ending" are the old school sports reporters that don't understand how sports medicine has advanced in the last 10-15 years. It'll be a heroic comeback if Palmer can continue his career at 75% productivity of what he achieved this past season. I think he's up to the task.

What about Culpepper? Doesn't he have basically the same injury? My problems with Culpepper go way beyond his injury, though. His season without Moss to that point, was abysmal. Worse, journeyman Brad Johnson ralled the team to an incredible run, just short of the playoffs. Culpepper's stock is very low, if I was a potential buyer.