DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

I need an nfl favorite team

Okay so being Canadian and growing up here I was raised mostly with hockey splashed in with a bit of baseball. I have my favorite hockey team (Canucks) and my favorite baseball team (Blue Jays). I grew up with these teams since I was a little kid so my loyalty is unfaltering to them. However I need a favorite NFL team. By default I have casually cheered for the Seahawks just because of their proximity to BC, where I live. I just started watching NFL a few years ago and have finally learned the game well.

Now obviously I don't just want to jump on the Saints bandwagon for example. I hate people who start cheering for the champs and establish them as "their team." How the hell do I get a favorite team? Consider this a recruitment request, tell me who your favorite team is and why.

I feel lost without an NFL team to call my own

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

You're stuck with the CFL, sorry. JK.

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 39525

The Miami Dolphins are a good choice!

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by LLXC View Post
    You're stuck with the CFL, sorry. JK.
    LOL no thanks 3 downs is retarded.

Addicted2Action
    Addicted2Action's Avatar Become A Pro!

why want a fav team? i try as much as possible not to have any feelings about a team whats so ever, my fav team is the ones i bet that cover the spread any givin week.......

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite140 View Post
    The Miami Dolphins are a good choice!
    Hmm Chad Henne, Ronnie Brown and Brandon Marshall. Not a bad top 3 I suppose

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Action View Post
    why want a fav team? i try as much as possible not to have any feelings about a team whats so ever, my fav team is the ones i bet that cover the spread any givin week.......
    You do make a good point. I guess I am just used to having a favorite team in every major sport. I suppose having no favorite team would be beneficial in NFL betting

DennisGreen
    Update your status

There are a few candidates I like based strictly on Fantasy players I've had and did good for me. I like these 1-2-3 punches for the following teams:

49ers - Smith, Gore, Davis.

Packers - Rogers, Jennings, Finley.

Texans - Schaub, Johnson, Daniels.

Chargers - Rivers, Jackson, Gates.

Hmm I think I will choose one of these teams to cheer for. Now someone fill me in on any important details such as if these teams have: stupid bandwagon fans, retarded owners/coaches etc. I feel like Lebron a bit here choosing which team to choose, maybe I'll get my own NBC special as well

Addicted2Action

chargers-coach is a bum, key players holding out (there left tackle and #1 wr, Jackson, dont expect to see him in sd any time soon) easy schedule should keep them in the hunt, rookie rb Mathews could be a stud.......

texans- have had the talent for several years but just cant seem to get over the hump, maybe this year? tough division....

packers-great organization, big time offense, serious up and comers...secondary is banged up and they have had some problems the last year defending the pass before the injuries, expect shootouts.....

49ers- solid team with a fiery coach, incredibly weak div should almost guarantee them a playoff spot..still dont trust Smith, guess we will see......
    Points Awarded:

DennisGreen gave Addicted2Action 4 SBR Point(s) for this post.

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

Eagles if you want a persecution complex and a team that's always good.

Bills if you want geographical proximity to Canada.

Colts, Peyton might be the greatest to ever play QB

Niners have history, but I doubt they'll contend for SB any time soon.

Jets if you like the bad guys.

Steelers have history, a hard hitting team, and always stay competitive.

But really, not having a favorite team is an advantage as others have mentioned.
    Points Awarded:

DennisGreen gave icancount2one 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

plzkthx
    plzkthx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

stick with the seahawks. just like me!

KACK
    KACK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3495

Try Oakland.... Great owner and amazing draft picks....

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I'd recommend the Lions. Here are my reasons:

1. Nobody could accuse you of being a bandwagon fan. This team has been bad for a long time and will still be bad at least for this year. Take this entire season to assimilate to the Lions team by learning the players and history while telling everyone that will listen that you are a Lions fans. You will know the pain of being a TRUE fan as you get insulted as they lose and grind through heartbreaking loss after loss. This is what true fanhood is all about. I should know, I grew up as a Packers fan of the 1980's and never saw a Packers playoff game until the mid 1990's.

2. Detroit is a northern team, practically on the Canadian border or at least closer than any other NFL franchise except maybe Buffalo. From a purely geographic standpoint, Detroit fits the mold of being a pseudo-Candadian team.

3. This young Lions team has fantastic potential, IMHO. Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, Kevin Smith are an underrated 1-2-3 combo that just needs some more pieces around them. I look for them to put up a lot more fantasy numbers than people expect as their defense still has a lot of work to do. It sounds like fantasy potential was at least one deciding factor for you, so Detroit has some of the most underrated talent around and they just might be some of the highest output players because they'll have to put up huge numbers just to stay in games with their very poor defense giving up lots of points as well.

So, I'd pick the Lions because they have a lot of upside, they are a team close to Canada, geographically and nobody could really accuse you of being a bandwagon fan if you suffer through a few bad seasons, which will probably happen. Other candidate teams might be the Seahawks & Bills for similar reasons, I just don't think the Bills are going anywhere and the Seahawks are a little bit of a high profile team and one could be seen as bit of a bandwagon jumper there, altough that would probably be negated by your geographic proximity. Then again, you can throw away all of that analysis and just go with a team that you enjoy watching, like the Saints. Another team that you might consider is the Texans, who you could still maybe jump on the bandwagon without seeming like a bandwagon fan, but I think they'll be very good this year and it'll be very difficult to be not be seen as a bandwagon jumper.
    Points Awarded:

DennisGreen gave slacker00 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Get ahead of the Curve and root for St Louis.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Cleveland Browns.

Why?

Our fan support is legendary. Google "Browns Backers"

Warning: we ride hard for our team.

(Hell, there might even be Browns Backers club within a few miles of you right now. Check.)

Addicted2Action

Quote Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
    Cleveland Browns.

Why?

Our fan support is legendary. Google "Browns Backers"

Warning: we ride hard for our team.

(Hell, there might even be Browns Backers club within a few miles of you right now. Check.)

if you go this route be sure you have a large supply of brown paper bags to put over your head

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by KACK View Post
    Isn't it a pre-requisite to own a 9 MM though to be a fan?

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Thanks for the great answers everyone.

Muddy
    Muddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3671

Not my team, but I'd say the Ravens are the Twins of the NFL. Hard working, no drama, no showboats.

midoriwilleatyou
    midoriwilleatyou's Avatar Become A Pro!

atlanta falcons

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

the rochester brigade is a up and coming expansion team check em out

chibears
    chibears's Avatar Become A Pro!

CHICAGO BEARS! good luck

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Green Bay Packers

Why???
    1) They will be the best team of the next 10 years and win at least 2 Super bowls, BUT THEY HAVEN'T DONE IT YET so you can't be a bandwagon. Let's face it, it is more fun cheering for "good teams" than bad, and you won't ever be accused of being some bandwagon. If you could go back 10 years ago, you would have wanted to Cheer for the Patriots, Steelers or Colts, but the team of the next 10 will be the Packers. Look ahead not behind.
    2) They are exciting and fun to watch, and will be for the next 10 or so years with Aaron Rodgers and a good GM that keeps the team stocked with talent. They already brought in young guys like Clay Matthews ( a young Brian Urlacher).
    3) They are a northern team, that is close to the Canadian border, they might not be as close to you as Seattle, but they should have a number of Canadian fans.
    4) GREAT CITY, GREAT FANS, GREAT STADIUM. I've never been there but I have friends that have and they said they were treated with nothing but respect from the locals. You can't say the same thing about going to a game in Oakland or Philly, but then again maybe you do want to cheer for a team known to be "hated".

I guess it depends on your personality. If you want to be a front runner fan you cheer for the Cowboys. If you want to cheer for a team with animals as fans then cheer for Philly or Oakland. If you want to cheer for the "good guys" you root for the Steelers who would also be a fine pick. They have good ownership and run a tight ship. If you want to cheer for cheaters root for the Patriots, if you want to cheer for losers and want to bang your head against the wall every Sunday you root for Detroit. If you want a team that signs a lot of free agents every march then root for Washington. If you want to cheer for a team that nobody else likes root for the Jags.

I say the best bet for the money is the Packers but that's me. PS The Packers aren't my team but I was trying to be as unbiased as possible.
    Points Awarded:

DennisGreen gave C-Gold 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by chibears View Post
    CHICAGO BEARS! good luck
    But the Bears are who we thought they were! With my name being DennisGreen this may be tough for me to do

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Green Bay Packers Why??? 1) They will be the best team of the next 10 years and win at least 2 Super bowls, BUT THEY HAVEN'T DONE IT YET so you can't be a bandwagon. Let's face it, it is more fun cheering for "good teams" than bad, and you won't ever be accused of being some bandwagon. If you could go back 10 years ago, you would have wanted to Cheer for the Patriots, Steelers or Colts, but the team of the next 10 will be the Packers. Look ahead not behind. 2) They are exciting and fun to watch, and will be for the next 10 or so years with Aaron Rodgers and a good GM that keeps the team stocked with talent. They already brought in young guys like Clay Matthews ( a young Brian Urlacher). 3) They are a northern team, that is close to the Canadian border, they might not be as close to you as Seattle, but they should have a number of Canadian fans. 4) GREAT CITY, GREAT FANS, GREAT STADIUM. I've never been there but I have friends that have and they said they were treated with nothing but respect from the locals. You can't say the same thing about going to a game in Oakland or Philly, but then again maybe you do want to cheer for a team known to be "hated". I guess it depends on your personality. If you want to be a front runner fan you cheer for the Cowboys. If you want to cheer for a team with animals as fans then cheer for Philly or Oakland. If you want to cheer for the "good guys" you root for the Steelers who would also be a fine pick. They have good ownership and run a tight ship. If you want to cheer for cheaters root for the Patriots, if you want to cheer for losers and want to bang your head against the wall every Sunday you root for Detroit. If you want a team that signs a lot of free agents every march then root for Washington. If you want to cheer for a team that nobody else likes root for the Jags. I say the best bet for the money is the Packers but that's me. PS The Packers aren't my team but I was trying to be as unbiased as possible.
    Great post. I met some people from Green Bay in Mexico and they were great and I do really love Aaron Rodgers. Oh also cheese is my favorite food in the whole world The Packers are definitely in the lead right now.

filter15
    filter15's Avatar Become A Pro!

DENVERRRR. awsome blog at milehighreprot.com
    cool colors. everyone always hates them and thinks they suck, they get no love but they are due for a breakout soon.
    they have tebow, great WRs improving team
    homefield advantage, other teams cant breathe a mile high in the air

idk. go Broncos

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I'd recommend the Lions. Here are my reasons:

3. This young Lions team has fantastic potential, IMHO. Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, Kevin Smith are an underrated 1-2-3 combo that just needs some more pieces around them.
    No offense because I did like your post but people have been talking about " Lions potential" for like 7 years now. My buddy swore that in a couple of years those receivers would pan out and the team would be awesome. You could have made the same argument about Joey Harrington, Charles Rodgers, Mike Williams etc.

I do think Megatron is the real deal, but I'm not buying Matt Stafford. I just get sick of hearing about " Lions" and "potential". Potential has never won a ball game, and the Lions haven't won many in the last 10 years despite lots of top draft choices with "potential".

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    Great post. I met some people from Green Bay in Mexico and they were great and I do really love Aaron Rodgers. Oh also cheese is my favorite food in the whole world The Packers are definitely in the lead right now.
    I'm no Packers fan, but if I was a free agent fan I would be. There are actually a lot of Packers fans around the nation due to Favre. I was reading that in Arizona the Cardinals sucked for so long that a lot of people there and in cities without teams went to cheer for Dallas ( who has a personality love em or hate them) and the Packers due to Favre.

I think a lot of it banks on Rodgers being the real deal and I think he is. Once Manning/Brady retire... It's the Brees and Rodgers show as the next best QB's. 3 of those guys already have titles, and Rodgers will in time.

That's the beauty. The Packers haven't won shit yet, but they will... and I believe in the next 10 or so years they will likely win 3 but more likely 2 Super Bowls and possibly be the next "dynasty". They have the best young QB in the game which gives them a huge leg up on everybody else, and they have a GM that keeps stocking the shelf with talent. They have some play makers on defense too. I like watching the Pack, bet on their season win total last year because I thought they were hella undervalued and watched their games. The teams with the best QB's win... Manning's Colts were always a winner in the last decade, Brady's Patriots, Mcnabb in Philly... The Pack have a leg up to be a very good team for a long time.

If you are a normal dude and want to cheer for a team with less thugs then I say GB or a team like Pittsburgh, if you are a drunken bar room brawler type I say a team like Philly, Dallas or Oakland. Oakland if you like losing, Philly or Dallas if you'd rather cheer for a good team.
    Last edited by C-Gold; 09-05-10 at 05:52 PM.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

LOL I'm just a normal fan. I don't plan on getting in any gun or fist fights over whichever team I choose. Chargers are definitely out for me so I'd say it's between Packers, Texans and 49ers now. Texans I think are a good underdog team as I seriously have never seen a fan from Dallas cheer for the Texans just the Cowboys. 49ers are semi-close too and I like their potential with guys like Crabtree, Davis, Gore and Smith if he pans out.

C-Gold

LOL I'm just a normal fan. I don't plan on getting in any gun or fist fights over whichever team I choose. Chargers are definitely out for me so I'd say it's between Packers, Texans and 49ers now. Texans I think are a good underdog team as I seriously have never seen a fan from Dallas cheer for the Texans just the Cowboys. 49ers are semi-close too and I like their potential with guys like Crabtree, Davis, Gore and Smith if he pans out.
    Smith isn't going to Pan out, and Rodgers has already has 2 very strong seasons. The funny thing is, Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers were fighting it out to be the top pick in the draft a few years ago. People thought Smith was a system QB who'se stock was elevated by Urban Meyers offense, yet somehow after being neck and neck with Aaron Rodgers Smith was the #1 pick, and Rodgers fell in the draft big time.

Now Aaron Rodgers is a stud and Smith has been off and on as the starter with Journeyman Shaun freaking Hill getting playing time over him.

Aaron Rodgers is already a top notch QB IMO, and Alex Smith might not even be a starter... The odds of him having even 1 year like Rodgers just had are slim to none.

The Packers will win a whole lot more games in the next decade and be more fun to watch than Houston or San Fran, plus the people there are so nice. San Fran was the team of the 80's and part of the 90's, the Packers will be the team of the 10's and I'm sure you'd rather watch Rodgers throw TD passes than watch the 49ers try and be the Jaguars of the west coast.

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

I second the falcons vote. Our owner probably put a home depot up there for u. Plus Matt Ryan. Micheal Turner.Gonzalez. roddy white. We are rising up.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by falconticket View Post
    I second the falcons vote. Our owner probably put a home depot up there for u. Plus Matt Ryan. Micheal Turner.Gonzalez. roddy white. We are rising up.
    I used to like the Falcons back in the Vick days until I found out he killed dogs etc. Still have a soft spot for the Falcons from back then.

C-Gold

I used to like the Falcons back in the Vick days until I found out he killed dogs etc. Still have a soft spot for the Falcons from back then.
    There are a lot of other reasons to hate Vick. The drugs, the herpes spreading, flicking off the fans, no consideration for his neighbors, blowing off charities, thinking he's above the law, and his general attitude. How the hell do you get all that money and blow it all that fast? He's bankrupt because he's stupid and arrogant as hell. I knew people that went to V-Tech and they said he was such a big piece of crap, I never liked him and am glad to see him get busted and struggle in the NFL.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    There are a lot of other reasons to hate Vick. The drugs, the herpes spreading, flicking off the fans, no consideration for his neighbors, blowing off charities, thinking he's above the law, and his general attitude. How the hell do you get all that money and blow it all that fast? He's bankrupt because he's stupid and arrogant as hell. I knew people that went to V-Tech and they said he was such a big piece of crap, I never liked him and am glad to see him get busted and struggle in the NFL.
    Yeah he really threw it all away. As a casual NFL fan at the time he got me interested in the game with his strong, accurate arm and RB type runs. Unfortunate he has a tiny brain.

Just Enough
    Just Enough's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3119

Quote Originally Posted by KACK View Post
    i second that vote. black and silver, nuff said

123 Last