bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Keyshawn Johnson May Return

He was dumb for not taking the Titans deal IMO

Keyshawn Johnson, who spent the 2007 season as a studio analyst with ESPN after being released by the Carolina Panthers, apparently is feeling the urge to demand the ball again.

Johnson, who has been working out regularly, is contemplating resuming his playing career, according to reports in Yahoo! Sports and the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. He is a three-time Pro Bowl pick with 10,571 career receiving yards, and in his last season with the Panthers caught 70 passes for 815 yards and four touchdowns. He might decide before the end of the month, when the free agency period opens.

"I like challenges," Johnson told Yahoo! Sports on Monday. "The challenge of helping to turn a team around, to help get it to the next level, that gets my competitive fires burning. I have the itch, and right now I'm trying to decide how strong that itch is."

There has been speculation Johnson received an offer from the Miami Dolphins, a team now run by former fellow analyst Bill Parcells, who also coached Johnson when they were together with the Dallas Cowboys and New York Jets.

Johnson, who will be 36 years old in July, said no offer has been extended, though he acknowledged the two talk often.

"Me and Bill talk all the time. We talk about football a lot. We talk about everything, except playing for the Miami Dolphins," Johnson said in Wednesday's Sun-Sentinel. "He's helping me go over the pros and cons of coming back versus staying at ESPN. He's always treated me like a father figure more than anything else. But not once has he said, 'Come play for me in Miami.' "

Johnson and the Dolphins would be a logical fit. Not only is he comfortable with Parcells, but he is familiar with the team's new offensive coordinator, Dan Henning, who called plays when Johnson was with the Jets and Carolina. The Dolphins also have plenty of room, about $35 million, under the salary cap.

Johnson has emphasized that he retired because the Panthers had cut him after the 2007 NFL draft, and after most teams already were well-supplied with wide receivers. The Tennessee Titans had offered a two-year deal worth nearly $8 million, including incentives, but Johnson turned that down, and became an analyst with ESPN instead.

RageWizard
    RageWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just give him the damn ball again.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

It'd be fun to see Keyshawn back on the field. But, he's just there to stabilize the team through the transition process. Funny that such a head case might be taking on a leadership role for Parcells. I don't see him coming back, though. His legs are gone.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I still think that Keyshawn has a couple more decent years left in him Slacker.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I still think that Keyshawn has a couple more decent years left in him Slacker.
    Yeah, maybe. He's a good fit for the Dolphins. I mean, he's as good as anyone they've got at WR right now. He just isn't anywhere near a top 25 NFL WR anymore. Probably not even top 50. But, he's got a lot of experience. Plus, being a Parcell's "guy", he'll help the young guys understand what it takes to play on a Parcells team. That's the biggest asset he brings if he comes back. Otherwise, he'll probably have 50 catches for 500 yards, maybe 5 TDs. That's if he can stay healthy. Nothing to sneeze at, but nothing that'll blow anyone's mind either.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8305

Depends on whos throwing the damn ball. Still think he can be a good receiver maybe 50+ catches

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2105

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    Depends on whos throwing the damn ball. Still think he can be a good receiver maybe 50+ catches
    How do you know?

just a huntch?

tarcats
    tarcats's Avatar Become A Pro!

Keyshawn

I hope he does not put any team through a comeback.Key dropped every critical/game changing pass that was thrown to him in 06 for the panthers,I hope no ones fans will ever have to go through that again!