Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are the Patriots a sect?

I'm all in favor of team spirit, but the Patriots are starting to look like some sort of sect. They all talk the Belichik lingo and have something robotic. They've sacrificed their selfish interests for the greater good, but it seems forced, unnatural. Do these guys even have their own thoughts anymore, or are they all brainwashed?

There is no doubt that they're all on the same page, and their success speaks for itself. But my goodness, what an uptight bunch.

If you don't know what I mean, compare them to the Giants. Strahan is being himself. He's not been told how to answer the questions or how to think. He cracks a joke when he feels like it. Eli Manning, when asked if the Super Bowl is a little boy's dream, is being himself and explains, with all the vulnerability of a little boy, that the dream is there always. And so on. And don't think that Coughlin is such a nice guy. He's tough as nails, but the players are still themselves.

A few years ago I enjoyed watching the Patriots. Not anymore. There's a hollowness to their success. With a little imagination I could see them agree to group suicide if they didn't lift the Super bowl.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-24-08 at 11:28 AM.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Couldn't care less and don't share your sentiment. My biggest concern right now is that they're 1-8 ATS in their last 9 games. Either they're shaving points or they're just not as good as they were earlier in the season.

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

That team as a whole has been together for a long time and when you are around a group for a period of time it happens...

The fact that they are that way probably helps keep attitudes in check...

swede96
    swede96's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the Pats would be more inclined to crack jokes and such if people weren't constanly looking for reasons to hate them. At this point, they may just be trying to say as little as possible. Can't say I'd blame them.

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

According to my sales there can't be that many that hate them... I almost forgot what other teams helmets look like...

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ShamsWoof10 View Post
    According to my sales there can't be that many that hate them... I almost forgot what other teams helmets look like...

I've always wanted to ask you about that, what kind of helmets do you make, mini ones or the pro-lines? I was thinking of getting a helmet for my display room, but wasn't sure the real differences between say a full replica at $110 or a Riddell pro-line at $260.

swede96
    swede96's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well yeah, Shams, there are a lot of Pats fans....but there are just as many Pats haters. I guess you either love them or hate them...there's not many people in the middle on that.

area51steve
    area51steve's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    I'm all in favor of team spirit, but the Patriots are starting to look like some sort of sect. They all talk the Belichik lingo and have something robotic. They've sacrificed their selfish interests for the greater good, but it seems forced, unnatural. Do these guys even have their own thoughts anymore, or are they all brainwashed?

There is no doubt that they're all on the same page, and their success speaks for itself. But my goodness, what an uptight bunch.

If you don't know what I mean, compare them to the Giants. Strahan is being himself. He's not been told how to answer the questions or how to think. He cracks a joke when he feels like it. Eli Manning, when asked if the Super Bowl is a little boy's dream, is being himself and explains, with all the vulnerability of a little boy, that the dream is there always. And so on. And don't think that Coughlin is such a nice guy. He's tough as nails, but the players are still themselves.

A few years ago I enjoyed watching the Patriots. Not anymore. There's a hollowness to their success. With a little imagination I could see them agree to group suicide if they didn't lift the Super bowl.
    I'm surprised shamswoof didn't say aliens flew over foxboro in flying saucers and abducted and probed the patriots players and coaches..