Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Congrats to the Chargers on a great seaaon. . .

This team really came together this year. They had alot of adversity throughout the entire year and they just kept battling. All the talk about the firing of Marty, left this team in disaray before the season even started. I became a critic my self after their slow start. How could you fire a coach that went 14-2. Well Norv proved me wrong, and he deserves alot of credit. The best three players on the team (LT,GATES,and RIVERS) were all banged up throughout the playoffs and they still has a great showing. They outplayed NE in that game for three quarters, and LT was on the sidelines. Everyone always said this team can only go as far at LT can take 'em, but that is obv wrong. The defense played great , and did everything they could to keep them in the game. I was P Rivers biggest critic and although I still don't like his chit chat with thousands of oppostion fans, he played really well on one knee. Congrats to the chargers and they will be a legit contender for several years to come. . .

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Last years team was better than this years Patriots. Last season was our chance.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I think the Chargers are going to be very tough next season, they have a lot of experience now in the playoffs and they did come so close so they will for sure be back and they are very close to being a championship team. Next season will be the 2nd year that Turner has been there and they will be used to his system so look out next season they are going to be very tough if they injury bug don't hit them, like it did this post season.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94 View Post
    Last years team was better than this years Patriots.
    I so wish that green one-eyed monster from the RX was in our emoticon panel right about now.

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    I so wish that green one-eyed monster from the RX was in our emoticon panel right about now.
    Chargers were amazingly good last season. 14-2 the two games they lost were close ones. Pats could of easily lost two games this season..

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

I wish LT and Gates would have been healthy in the Pats game. I think Gates would have caused them trouble.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Last season's 14-2 Chargers had an easy schedule. When the chips were down in the playoffs they weren't ready. Now the team is battle-tested. They have developed the mental toughness to go all the way. And no team has more talent on the field. Next year it should pay off. Could have paid off this year as well, but bad luck. With a healthy LT this team is preparing for Arizona.

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Last season's 14-2 Chargers had an easy schedule. When the chips were down in the playoffs they weren't ready. Now the team is battle-tested. They have developed the mental toughness to go all the way. And no team has more talent on the field. Next year it should pay off. Could have paid off this year as well, but bad luck. With a healthy LT this team is preparing for Arizona.
    Where the heck do you get your information from? 2006 Chargers were 14-2 and the two games they lost were by FGs. AFC West was a lot stronger last season with KC making the playoffs and Denver was a lto better.. Are you actually comparing this years team with last years team???

This seasons schedule was easier than last seasons schedule too.

This season they played five playoff teams:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=sdg

Last season they played seven playoff teams.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/...=sdg&year=2006

No easy schedule they were just goooooooood.
    Last edited by imgv94; 01-23-08 at 12:34 AM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

They had an easier schedule last season. Funny you didn't know that.

SBR Lou

Chargers were amazingly good last season. 14-2 the two games they lost were close ones. Pats could of easily lost two games this season..
    I don't disagree with that. Chargers were easily the most talented team in the league last year overall in terms of depth, I don't want to say best since they didn't ultimately get it done but they were dominant.

Chargers are better in many areas defensively, I don't have their special team stats handy but I know they've got some really fast guys in that department. Overall though, I'd have to rank NE ahead of their team last and this year.

Brady, Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney, their offensive line and coaching staff edges SD out, even with SD having the edge at RB/TE. SD is still a serious contender, hell who knows what Norv can do in another year after proving many including myself wrong. Personally I think their team was in a better position this year having added another good receiver in Chris Chambers.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Img, if they were so good, why did they give the game away against the Pats?

They weren't battle-tested. They were also stronger the year before with Brees, when they beat Indy and the Pats in the regular season.

This year they had some adjustments to make with the new coaching staff, but once that was done there was no stopping them. I don't look for blowout wins. I look for the ability to pull out a win in the face of adversity.

Now they are battle-tested. If they're healthy, they should be able to win it all next season.

imgv94

They had an easier schedule last season. Funny you didn't know that.
    Last season (2006)they played nine teams with a .500 or better record. This season (2007)they played five teams a .500 or better record.

you're on crack.

SBR Lou

They weren't battle-tested. They were also stronger the year before with Brees, when they beat Indy and the Pats in the regular season.
    I'd agree there, and I think that ties into the Marty aspect. He wanted Brees, that was part of he and AJ Smith's disagreements. One could argue that this year should have been the year they make their Super Bowl run had they retained their coaching staff, maybe had Brees slinging it around, and still acquiring Chambers. Even still, props for getting as far as they did with a weaker QB/coach.

imgv94

Img, if they were so good, why did they give the game away against the Pats?
    A couple of stupid players made mistakes in that game thats why they lost.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Img decides strength of schedule after the season is over. Hey, whatever works for you.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

A couple of stupid players made mistakes in that game thats why they lost.
    Little things. That's why they lost.

Guess what? Little things are the most important, because if you don't take care of those, the big things may not matter.

That's why they lost. Because they didn't understand that.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Last season (2006)they played nine teams with a .500 or better record. This season (2007)they played five teams a .500 or better record.

you're on crack.
    I can assure you that I'm not the one on chemicals. Let me show you how to use strength of schedule going forward...

I'll do the first three games of each season. You can do the rest.

Chargers opponent 2006
    Oakland (4-12 in 2005)
    Tennessee (4-12 in 2005)
    Baltimore (6-10 in 2005)

Chargers opponent 2007
    Chicago (13-3 in 2006 plus 2-1 in playoffs; made it to Super bowl)
    New England (12-4 in 2006 plus 2-1 in playoffs)
    Green Bay (8-8)

imgv94

you showcase the first three games and forgot the rest of the sixteen? Thread was closed on post #12

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Well, there was a game against the Super bowl winner in both years (both won by Chargers), and six games against weak division opponents each year.

So that leaves six regular season games. The super strong opponents that in your mind flipped the -very obvious - first three games around must be: St Louis (6-10), Cleveland (6-10), Cincinnati (11-5), Buffalo (5-11), Seattle (13-3), and Arizona (5-11).

The 14-2 record from 2006 was inflated. The 2007 Chargers are not only stronger, but also more battle-tested.

imgv94

The 14-2 record from 2006 was inflated. The 2007 Chargers are not only stronger, but also more battle-tested.
    seriously if you're not on drugs then you must be on some kinda prescribition medication.

AGAIN:

07 Chargers
    11-5
    played 5 games vs a team with a .500 or better record. (BLOWN OUT THREE TIMES)

06 Chargers
    14-2
    played 9 games vs a team with a .500 or better record (TWO LOSSES WERE BY a FG)

You have your opinion and thats fine, but facts are facts and you can't dispute 06 Chargers had a better record,played a harder schedule and never got blown out. Nothing you can twist up could change that.

Facts are facts.

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Either way, next year I expect them to be as god or better. Merriman and company are pure run stuffers. The emergence of Cromartie has solidified the secondary as one of if not the best in the league. Jackson and Chambers are a great pair of Wrs. Rivers just needs to take care of the ball. Gates is a top 3 TE. LT is the best talent at RB in the league. Norv has finally got alot of tools to work with. The guy can coach no matter what people think. They started making strides when they finally got confidence in his system. Rivers is no Aikman but I can see this offense being real similar to the one Turner had at Dallas. I think the future of the Chargers actually rests on Rivers shoulders. If he doesn't go in the tank, they should be very formidable.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    Even still, props for getting as far as they did with a weaker QB/coach.
    I agree. Norv has never impressed me. Ever.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Last years team was better than this years Patriots. Last season was our chance.

I know your a chargers fan buddy, but the 07-08 pats are the best team ever. . . Last year chargers team probaly isnt in the top 50