DrunkenLullaby
    DrunkenLullaby's Avatar Become A Pro!

Would kill for this info

Does anybody have any good knowledge on when/how/if the Giants & GB receivers have performed in the past WHILE WEARING GLOVES? 'Cause God knows they'll be wearing 'em on Sunday.

Come to think of it, I'd kill twice to know how Favre & Eli have performed while wearing gloves.

I doubt anybody has anything they want to share, but it don't hurt to ask.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I am not sure about this...this is really a high level of detailed information.

I guess the best way to do it would be to identify games that were played in bad weather and look at the boxscore for key offensive players and see how they performed. Maybe look at the past 2 years and use that as a baseline to make judgments about what you might see offensively Sunday.

Good luck DL....

DrunkenLullaby

Thanks Buddy, same to you.

By the way, I have read that Eli plans to have no glove on the throwing hand & maybe use one on his other hand. I think he's making a big mistake, but only Sunday will tell for sure.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

yeah, I think EM struggles in cold weather are well documented. He's played well the past 2 games in TB and Dallas but GB is a whole different arena. It's beyond freezing right now and I can't imagine he will be very effective without a glove or witih a glove for that matter. IMO, I see EM having a very poor game and some of his inexperience will come to light in this game.

It's tough for me to fade NYG b/c they've been so solid on the road this year but this may be a spot where the weather is just to much to overcome for a team that is known to play poorly in cold weather. The line right now at -7.5 may be too much for me to play GB so i may sit it out but still looking at the under but again, I'll be taking a bad number so I probably won't play the under. I think I am just going to lay off this game altogether or maybe get involved with the 2H under when it becomes available. I am hopin GB can get out to a big lead, something like 20-3 and just run the clock out in the 2H.

Good luck....

DrunkenLullaby

Another thing to keep in mind:

If you read Coughlin's quotes this week, he's really not paying any mind to the weather and has scoffed at reporters who ask if it will affect his gameplan. I recall the Washington game at Giants stadium where they had Eli throw 53 times in stifling wind and I recall the sideline tart reporting that night that, "Tom Coughlin said he wasn't going to let the wind alter his gameplan."

He was stupid that night and apparently didn't learn much from his mistake. I think he pays again. Can you picture Belichick saying "I'm not going to let the weather affect my gameplan"?

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

You know what, even if you COULD get the detailed info in regards to gloves, etc., I think it will still be irrelevant in this case for one simple reason:

Assuming the forecasts are accurate, these should be the worst conditions any of these players ever played in, and playing in 0 degrees wind chill in the past can't prepare you for when wind chill is around -40, as is expected for this EVENING start (damn TV networks...lol).

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Forget the cold. The WIND will be a HUGE factor. I'm hearing 40-50 MPH gusts. Favre was terrible when the Pack went to Chicago with the winds gusting like that. Unfortunately for the Packers, they pass to set up the run. The Giants run to set up the pass. Huge edge for the Giants!

I'll give a smaller edge to the Giants due to the cold. Same reasons. I don't think Favre has ever worn gloves during a game. Favre has never played in weather this cold. Not even within 10 degrees of this. This will be new territory for virtually everyone on the field. Going from playing in 20 degrees and no WC to playing in 0 degrees and -40 WC is like going from 80 degrees to 20 degrees, IMO. It's a whole other world.

DrunkenLullaby

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    You know what, even if you COULD get the detailed info in regards to gloves, etc., I think it will still be irrelevant in this case for one simple reason:

Assuming the forecasts are accurate, these should be the worst conditions any of these players ever played in, and playing in 0 degrees wind chill in the past can't prepare you for when wind chill is around -40, as is expected for this EVENING start (damn TV networks...lol).
    Good points, but I still think it would be relevant info to hear somebody like Driver or Toomer say "I can't stand playing in gloves, because I can't feel the ball." or something like that....at least in prop betting it would be.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I think all of the GB WRs had gloves last week.

I think Favre is going to go barehanded tomorrow. He'll have one off those hand warmers attached to his jersey for the huddle, etc.

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

I can tell you from experience that gloves in this situation won't matter. The gloves are usually thinner and only help for a few seconds. When you are running a route your hands are pumping in the wind which is like another 40 mph wind blowing on your hand. It cuts right through the glove. By the time the ball has been thrown, your hands are already frozen. Try running out in extreme cold and you'll see what I mean. They do have thicker gloves that are usually neoprene and/or lined with wool that will buy you more time but there is a huge drawback to this. The more lining the thicker the glove. This really prevents you from bending your fingers. Most all good receivers catch with their fingers and Not their with their hands. This is kinda like a shock absorber and that is how wrs can catch balls from guys like Favre. If you have on those thick gloves you can't feel and clamp down on the ball properlly. "Soft hands" are actually strong shock absorbing fingers. The balls will get to them hard and they won't be able to squeeze down good. Either way the WRs are screwed in this game in my opinion. They'll have to catch balls against their bodies. The QBs will have hand warmers and will leave their hands in as long as they can until they have to get ready for the snap. The QBs will have to wear gloves that asren't too thick as well or they will be basically shot putting the ball. The wrs should have hand warmers as well but it will be easier on the QB than on the wrs due to the running and pumping of the hands in the cold. I don't see their passing games having much success but it is gambling. I hope this helps.

DrunkenLullaby

Awesome stuff Seer.

FYI, Eli says he's not putting a glove on the throwing hand. I assume Favre, being the crazy bastard he is, won't either. Good luck.