bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dolphins hire Sparano as head coach

I kinda figure he would hire one of his type of guys for this job. This could be a very good hire, although it will take about 4 years to find out.

Dolphins hire Sparano as head coach, replacing Cameron

Dallas Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano is the new Miami Dolphins head coach.

The two sides on Wednesday morning completed work on what ESPN.com has confirmed is a four-year contract worth about $2.5 million to $2.7 million per year.

Sparano arrived at the team complex Wednesday wearing a suit and accompanied by new Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland. Owner Wayne Huizenga soon joined them, then left about an hour later.

Not counting the interim tenure of Jim Bates in 2004, Sparano becomes the seventh head coach in franchise history, and replaces Cam Cameron, who lasted just one season in the job before being fired. In his first NFL head coaching job, Sparano inherits a team that won just one game in 2007; has obvious holes on the offensive side, including uncertainty at quarterback; and an aging defense.

On the positive side, the Dolphins own the top overall selection in the 2008 draft, and can either exercise it to choose a top-shelf prospect, or perhaps trade the choice for additional picks in the lottery. Sparano also will be surrounded by a strong support group of front-office executives he knows well.

Ireland, who most recently worked in the Dallas personnel department as vice president of college and pro scouting, is familiar with Sparano and his coaching style. And Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells hired Sparano as an assistant when Parcells was the Dallas head coach.

"Coach Parcells has taught me the most, prepared me the most for this job," Sparano said. "He's taught me a great deal and I'm going to continue to learn as much as I can."

Sparano, 46, also interviewed for the head coach openings in Atlanta and Baltimore.

Although he has worked in the league only nine seasons, Sparano is widely respected for his offensive acumen and his demeanor with the players. Before joining the Dallas staff in 2003, Sparano was on the staffs of Cleveland (1999-2000), Washington (2001), and Jacksonville (2002).

Before landing his first NFL position, Sparano worked 15 years in the college ranks and was head coach at New Haven from 1994 to 1998.

He worked primarily with the Cowboys' offensive line this season. But when Parcells was the coach, Sparano had much broader responsibilities. Although he didn't hold the title of coordinator, Sparano called the team's plays in 2006. Parcells is known to hold Sparano in high regard.

Sparano is expected to pursue several current Dallas assistant coaches, some of whose contracts with the Cowboys have expired, for key positions on his staff.

The Dolphins are coming off the worst season in team history. They lost their first 13 games and missed the playoffs for the sixth consecutive year, extending a franchise record.

"I don't really care what happened in the past," Sparano said. "I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them."

The coach's office became a revolving door since 2004, when Dave Wannstedt quit after nine games and was replaced by Bates. Nick Saban became the coach in 2005, but lasted only two years before leaving for Alabama. Cameron, the former offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers, came on board, but after a 1-15 season, was dismissed by Parcells on Jan. 3.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9590

Have to give Parcells credit for going outside the box with the head coach, instead of the usual retread coaches most teams hire, including overrated coordinators.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Great hire as the Dolphins need someone who can judge talent - they need a lot of help

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I had to do a double take when I saw the thread title, thinking it said Tony Soprano.

Hey, fuhgedaboudit