Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Chargers @ Patriots

Journalists can be one boring bunch. Take this game between the Chargers and the Patriots. Every article I read goes back to week 2 when the Pats beat the Bolts 38-14, and all forget to mention that San Diego beat Indy in their own house in a far more convincing way than the Patriots did. The unanimous conclusion? The Chargers have no chance.

Fine. Let's go back to week 2. The Chargers were coming off a hard fought win over Chicago in week 1 (then still considered an elite team), and for the Patriots this was the first game after the spygate scandal broke. This game was huge to New England, and the Chargers didn't care a whole lot. I remember LT mentioning rather nonchalantly that they had already beaten the Patriots on the road.

See, I had thought that the Chargers wanted revenge for their playoff loss to the Pats, which was one of the worst giveaways in recorded history. But they didn't. They came into week 2 with the arrogance of a team that felt it had nothing to prove. And so they lost. But it would be a big mistake to use that game as a measuring stick.

I happen to think that the Chargers possess within them a far higher degree of pure RAGE than the Patriots ever will. The Patriots are the civilized team, the strategic team with the ability to execute a game plan to perfection. Nobody so far has pushed them out of their comfort zone. Everything that happened to them was manageable. And so they managed it, and managed it well. You catch my drift?

What awaits them with the Chargers is beyond anything they have experienced this season. Pure unadulterated CHAOS! Did you notice this past Sunday that the Colts played as if they had lost their minds? Where was their clearheaded decision making ability that had served them well all season? Believe me, without the refs (yes, you #59!) this game wouldn't have been close. And still the Chargers didn't even need their best players to demolish the defending champions.

And what does this sound victory get them in the media? Zero respect. A pat on the back, a 'well done and now go home'...

What a setup. America is in for a HUGE surprise this Sunday. Every Pats game in their unbeaten streak so far was civilized. The last victory over the Jags was even sterile. Yet nobody seemed to mind or notice. After all, this was 'the best team to ever play the game'. But the friendliness is about to come to a crashing halt. Tom Brady is going to have his pretty head knocked off. Brute force is coming to town. Not revenge, but Death is about to pay a visit. It will be Lights Out for one team. Just not in the way that America imagined.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-15-08 at 04:43 AM.

jeffries
    jeffries's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dream on kid... it's not gonna happen, I assure you.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

If you say so, go ahead and bet your bank ...

Redchevy
    Redchevy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5697

SD is going to need a little more than rage to beat this team. NE may or may not cover but I don't see SD winning straight up. Not when Belichick is a sniff away from the SB and alltime history.

jeffries

actually I am. Im gonna BET THE BANK on New England (And I hate the Patriots) because San Diego just sucks. They barely got by Tennessee. Only reason they bat the Colts is because Peyton has that tendency as everyone says to "choke" in the playoffs

Prediction: New England 45, San Diego 10 l0l
    Last edited by jeffries; 01-15-08 at 06:37 AM.

jeffries

Anyone who thinks for one moment that Phillips Rivers and his little San Diego Chargers can beat the Undefeated New England Patriots and the MVP Tom Brady is just crazy.. The only teams that ever stand a chance to beat N.E are Dallas, Green Bay, and Indianapolis. I look forward to see Brett Favre have that honor in the SB

GO PACKERS!

xyzky
    xyzky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

One thing to keep in mind, it is the NFL and anything can happen. Yes, it is very unlikely for them to win on the road in NE, but, it was very unlikely for them to win on the road in INDY. Regardless of who wins this game, GB will win it all!!!

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

How was San Diego's win at Indy more convincing ?

Both were by 4 points .

NEP Dynasty
    NEP Dynasty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Get a clue, buddy. This is ridiculous. You realize you are talking about the best team in NFL history. Maybe you forgot, Tom Brady is playing QB for the Patriots, and Phillip Rivers (maybe even Volek) for the Chargers. I think that's all you need to know.

NEP Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    J Tom Brady is going to have his pretty head knocked off.
    Do you even watch football? Check out a Patriots game. Get back to me. Thanks.

danno331
    danno331's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am glad we have a thread focused on one of the two games this weekend. 14pts seem like a sucker bet (current odds favoring Pats). And I give San Diego some credit as they won some hard fought games- although I thought Peyton and the Colts were too one dimensional on offense.
    I like the over and maybe, just maybe San Diego to lose by less than 14. I have lost a few bets recently on the Pats- They always win but don't cover so much.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

I will maybe play some team totals or half bets, but I'm not going to be taking the 14 points.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by NEP Dynasty View Post
    Get a clue, buddy. This is ridiculous. You realize you are talking about the best team in NFL history.
    Are you talking to me? As mentioned, there's plenty of stuff out there that will be pleasing for you to read.

I should have realized that there are fans here.

I see a lot of veneer with the Patriots. It's a nice shiny layer, but the Chargers can get beyond it. And then we'll see who has more rage and determination. If I'm right about the Chargers, and if they have their day, Foxboro has no idea what's going to hit it.

But you could have known. The Chargers are a better team now than a couple of years ago, when they wiped the floor with your pretty little arses: 41-17 at Foxboro.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-15-08 at 05:42 PM.

NEP Dynasty

Are you talking to me? As mentioned, there's plenty of stuff out there that will be pleasing for you to read.

I should have realized that there are fans here.

I see a lot of veneer with the Patriots. It's a nice shiny layer, but the Chargers can get beyond it. And then we'll see who has more rage and determination. If I'm right about the Chargers, and if they have their day, Foxboro has no idea what's going to hit it.

But you could have known. The Chargers are a better team now than a couple of years ago, when they wiped the floor with your pretty little arses: 41-17 at Foxboro.
    Your argument is laughable. The Chargers are a better team than they are when the beat the Pats 41-17 a few years ago. Great. I'm glad you feel that way. I should probably also mention that the Patriots are a little better now too. Did you miss that they were 17-0? Yes, I would consider them better. And if you want to talk about past scores, please, do me a favor, Week 2. Patriots vs. Chargers.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Your predictability is hilarious. I brought in that past score precisely of all the -misplaced- emphasis on week 2. Which you could have known if you read my first post.

Anyway, I guess this is the new forum wave. With dumb little idiots unable of any constructive discussion. Go against their team and they take it personal. If you like the Patriots so much do a write-up.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-15-08 at 06:21 PM.

taco3275
    taco3275's Avatar Become A Pro!

Journalists can be one boring bunch. Take this game between the Chargers and the Patriots. Every article I read goes back to week 2 when the Pats beat the Bolts 38-14, and all forget to mention that San Diego beat Indy in their own house in a far more convincing way than the Patriots did. The unanimous conclusion? The Chargers have no chance.

Fine. Let's go back to week 2. The Chargers were coming off a hard fought win over Chicago in week 1 (then still considered an elite team), and for the Patriots this was the first game after the spygate scandal broke. This game was huge to New England, and the Chargers didn't care a whole lot. I remember LT mentioning rather nonchalantly that they had already beaten the Patriots on the road.

See, I had thought that the Chargers wanted revenge for their playoff loss to the Pats, which was one of the worst giveaways in recorded history. But they didn't. They came into week 2 with the arrogance of a team that felt it had nothing to prove. And so they lost. But it would be a big mistake to use that game as a measuring stick.

I happen to think that the Chargers possess within them a far higher degree of pure RAGE than the Patriots ever will. The Patriots are the civilized team, the strategic team with the ability to execute a game plan to perfection. Nobody so far has pushed them out of their comfort zone. Everything that happened to them was manageable. And so they managed it, and managed it well. You catch my drift?

What awaits them with the Chargers is beyond anything they have experienced this season. Pure unadulterated CHAOS! Did you notice this past Sunday that the Colts played as if they had lost their minds? Where was their clearheaded decision making ability that had served them well all season? Believe me, without the refs (yes, you #59!) this game wouldn't have been close. And still the Chargers didn't even need their best players to demolish the defending champions.

And what does this sound victory get them in the media? Zero respect. A pat on the back, a 'well done and now go home'...

What a setup. America is in for a HUGE surprise this Sunday. Every Pats game in their unbeaten streak so far was civilized. The last victory over the Jags was even sterile. Yet nobody seemed to mind or notice. After all, this was 'the best team to ever play the game'. But the friendliness is about to come to a crashing halt. Tom Brady is going to have his pretty head knocked off. Brute force is coming to town. Not revenge, but Death is about to pay a visit. It will be Lights Out for one team. Just not in the way that America imagined.
    Believe what you want he's RIGHT ON, the CHARGER's will KILL!!!

SBR Lou

The officials were atrocious in both games where the Chargers and Pats played Indy. If I were going to put some stock in them being bad here, I'd have to lean with NE getting more of the calls, just because I think the NFL would LOVE a NE/GB SB.. However, after that butt-rape the officials administered last week against SD, they may keep their flag in the pocket a little more this week to avoid any more scrutiny. I think this one will play out as it should, best of luck to guys on both sides.

ritehook
    ritehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hard to see this game as bettable. If I had to (and will, for a small amount, if I could get 16) I'd take the points. But likely I'll just watch.

Sd leads NFL in Turnover Ratio. That's good, now they have to it vs a guy who doens't toss many picks.

Too much emotion probably isn't a good thing. Both teams are presumably ready to play. I mean, it's the ticket to the SB.

SD is 0-2 this year near the Atlantic Ocean. But then, they weren't getting two tds in those games.

SD is taking a second crosss country trip second week in row. Tough.

I'd be very surprsed it the Chargers won this outright, but not all that surprised if they covered the number.

But if the unlikely happens, and they win it, and the Road Warror Giants win at Green Bay, the SB will be the Battle of the Traded Draft Choices - Rivers vs Manning

danno331
    danno331's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    The officials were atrocious in both games where the Chargers and Pats played Indy. If I were going to put some stock in them being bad here, I'd have to lean with NE getting more of the calls, just because I think the NFL would LOVE a NE/GB SB.. However, after that butt-rape the officials administered last week against SD, they may keep their flag in the pocket a little more this week to avoid any more scrutiny. I think this one will play out as it should, best of luck to guys on both sides.
    So if this one plays out as it should, in your opinion, which team covers?

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by danno331 View Post
    So if this one plays out as it should, in your opinion, which team covers?
    NE has adjusted their style of play for the playoffs. They're not out to make highlight reels or run scores up, their emphasis is on sustaining long drives, getting the running game going, hitting the open man. They aren't forcing the ball to Moss at all. The Chargers may gamble and go after Brady, but his quick release and the talent of his offensive line will allow him enough time to scan the field. The Chargers need to be judicious in how they bring pressure, because NE can eat them alive with adjustments and plays down the middle of the field. They have a clear coaching advantage, so any halftime adjustments would figure to negate much of the success SD may have in getting to Brady, Belichick is a master in that respect.

New England will take away LT and force Rivers to beat them. The reason I'm not putting tons of stock in that is his health. He's now strained his MCL in his right knee, and had already been playing on a sprained MCL in his left knee. With him not being 100% for sure, I don't know if he'll turn in his best performance. LT is expected to play, but Antonio Gates still has that toe injury and clearly lost a step in some instances against Indy. This isn't a game you can afford to have players at skill positions nursing injuries or not 100%.

Dark Horse is right that too much is being made of the week 2 showdown, but that's entirely on the media side and guys who aren't reading between the lines. Both teams are entirely different, and this is a much different situation. However, I can tell you that NE is not overlooking San Diego. BB was reported to have handed his team dozens of papers listing all areas SD has been dominant at over the last several weeks. They aren't looking at this as a clear path to the Super Bowl, not at all. If SD was completely healthy, I would take the points, but because they are not and having already invested NE in a Super Bowl future weeks ago, I'll just play a total later in the week after an updated weather forecast.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I think DH nailed it on the head. Injuries, however, are a concern.
    But LT at 90% is still the best back in the NFL bar none. Heck, Gates at 75% is the best receiving tight end in the NFL (Witten is more product of scheme and blocks amongst the best, thats why he is so good)...ok, maybe 2nd best (Gonzalez).

The thing that is going to win/lose the game is D. San Diego, in spurts, has a very strong one. They tend to not play to their potential in tough games when they don't 'have to have' it. Frankly, I think they didn't play with enough despiration all season. However, talent-wise, they are a much more talented D than the Pats - but they don't have as good of a scheme as the Pats (hate to say Wade Phillips did an amazing job there, even if I think he's a shlep).

You cannot argue against the Pats resolve, planning and Brady with all those weapons... There is NO way they think they will walk in and take this game. The better team will win, for sure - but I'd punt and take those points all day.

SD is good enough to keep it close enough and make a play or 2 on D.

Remember, this is for the right to play in the SUPER BOWL. THE reason a lot of the Veterans play, as money is no object to them. When teams clash in this situation, it's usually pretty damn close - but the better team wins. You can't not love the points IMO. Not saying SD will win, however, I'm saying they're good enough to keep it close... and have a shot at winning, just like last year.

$Bnizi
    $Bnizi's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffries View Post
    actually I am. Im gonna BET THE BANK on New England (And I hate the Patriots) because San Diego just sucks. They barely got by Tennessee. Only reason they bat the Colts is because Peyton has that tendency as everyone says to "choke" in the playoffs

Prediction: New England 45, San Diego 10 l0l
    Choke? Seriously? The man threw for 400 yards and 3 touchdowns and both of his interceptions were off tipped ballls. He was let down by his defense and that was why they lost the game. I hate this perception that Peyton chokes in big games. The guy gets his team to the playoffs every year and has a ring. The dude had a few bad games in New England in January against a team which has shaped up to be one of the greatest dynastys in the history of the NFL, if not the greatest.

$Bnizi
    $Bnizi's Avatar Become A Pro!

Clearly the Patriots are the better team and will be playing in the Super Bowl next month, however, the Patriots have not covered a spread in about a month. In my opinion this is a result of inflated lines and the fact that they have adjusted their style slightly for the playoffs. They are running the ball more and trying to control the clock rather than just racking up as many points as they can. San Diego has as much talent as anyone in the league and will certainly not be lacking motivation on sunday given the fact that they hate New England and are playing for a shot at the Superbowl. And oh yeah, they just beat the defending champs in their own house with a back uo quarterback and without the best player in football (aside from Brady). Throw in the fact that weather may be a factor and i just don't see how New England could be the play here. I certainly wouldn't call it a lock but i have to take San Diego and the points. Then again, i dont know sh*t about d*ck.

Pats 28-20

jeffries

Quote Originally Posted by $Bnizi View Post
    Choke? Seriously? The man threw for 400 yards and 3 touchdowns and both of his interceptions were off tipped ballls. He was let down by his defense and that was why they lost the game. I hate this perception that Peyton chokes in big games. The guy gets his team to the playoffs every year and has a ring. The dude had a few bad games in New England in January against a team which has shaped up to be one of the greatest dynastys in the history of the NFL, if not the greatest.
    dude, believe me, Im a HUGE peyton manning fan. I love the Manning brothers. Peyton, little brother Eli and Brett Favre are my 3 top favorite QB's in the NFL man. The truth is Peyton does choke in the playoffs. Last year he got by which was unexpected.. I give Peyton credit, amazing QB but the truth stands

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

I'm with you, DH. I'm making a small play on the Chargers ML and I'll probably parlay it with the under too. Just waiting for all the Pats drones to inflate my odds a bit more...

swede96
    swede96's Avatar Become A Pro!

Every Pats game in their unbeaten streak so far was civilized.
    Did this guy NOT see the Ravens game?

swede96

Your predictability is hilarious. I brought in that past score precisely of all the -misplaced- emphasis on week 2. Which you could have known if you read my first post.

Anyway, I guess this is the new forum wave. With dumb little idiots unable of any constructive discussion. Go against their team and they take it personal. If you like the Patriots so much do a write-up.
    Wait...so you can use a game that happened how many years ago, but week 2 of THIS year is off limits?

Please, fill me in on your definition of a constructive conversation...because it seems to be nothing like mine.

Of course, I'm sure I'M being predictable, because I have a feeling that any Pats fan the wanders into this thread is going to get the same reaction.

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by swede96 View Post
    Of course, I'm sure I'M being predictable, because I have a feeling that any Pats fan the wanders into this thread is going to get the same reaction.
    Well that's just because it's a sports gambling forum. And usually, the overwhelming majority of fans are simple homers who make ridiculous statements, some of which have occurred in this thread. I'm not saying you fit the bill, just that there's a huge correlation between idiocy and team patronage in sports betting.

Now, if a Patriots fan, or any other fan for that matter wants to break down a game or discuss both sides that's cool, but the fact is people who may be more rational about "their team" or willing to bet against them are in the minority. More often than not, you get the "they are best team ever! are you crazy, Pats for life, homie!!".

swede96

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    Now, if a Patriots fan, or any other fan for that matter wants to break down a game or discuss both sides that's cool, but the fact is people who may be more rational about "their team" or willing to bet against them are in the minority. More often than not, you get the "they are best team ever! are you crazy, Pats for life, homie!!".
    Oh I get it. I see a lot of that too....I guess I just have a problem with someone saying a game from this season doesn't matter, but one from 2 years ago does...when it comes to any team.

All I meant by the last comment was that I was pretty sure he was going to come down hard on me no matter how much sense I made because a.) I went against him b.) my avater and c.) my location.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by swede96 View Post
    Oh I get it. I see a lot of that too....I guess I just have a problem with someone saying a game from this season doesn't matter, but one from 2 years ago does...when it comes to any team.

All I meant by the last comment was that I was pretty sure he was going to come down hard on me no matter how much sense I made because a.) I went against him b.) my avater and c.) my location.

Let me give it shot. If you would have read my response to the same question, you could have known that I referred to the 2 year old game precisely because of all the emphasis on the week 2 game in the media. Neither game matters a whole lot.

----------------------
    Full disclosure. I'm already positive for and out of this game. I got +800 for the Chargers and traded out of it. That meant that the Chargers would have to win only one of out eight meetings to play even... Gotta love media-driven public consensus.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-16-08 at 03:40 PM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

For the record, excellent point about the Baltimore game! Lowly Baltimore played with RAGE, and should have won the game SU.

(but for the ridiculous refs on that final drive..)

You couldn't have come up with a better game to illustrate my point.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-16-08 at 03:37 PM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Bring on the rage!

NEP Dynasty

For the record, excellent point about the Baltimore game! Lowly Baltimore played with RAGE, and should have won the game SU.

(but for the ridiculous refs on that final drive..)

You couldn't have come up with a better game to illustrate my point.
    Its the f*cking NFL. These are the most competitive people in the world. You think these guys dont play with rage every game?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

That's right. Plenty of cruise control in the NFL. Did you see Baltimore play with rage against Miami?

Each team has a RAGE factor. And none has a higher one than the Chargers.
    That means that they can step it up to a level that you haven't seen. But only when necessary...

The Patriots have a certain cool and genius. That's the area where they step it up when necessary. Not rage.

The question is what happens to cool and levelheaded when it meets with rage. We have one example this year. Even a staunch Patriots fan would probably agree that Baltimore would have won that game but for the refs.

I'm adding this rage to SD's ability to pass rush (see Pats games against Eagles and Giants), and force turnovers, and I'm really starting to like the picture; because talent-wise the Patriots have nothing over the Chargers. The edge the Patriots bring is their coaching staff.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-16-08 at 04:40 PM.

NEP Dynasty

That's right. That's what I think. Did you see Baltimore play with rage against Miami?

Each team has a RAGE factor. And none has a higher one than the Chargers.
    That means that they can step it up to a level that you haven't seen. But only when necessary...
    I don't disagree that the Chargers will be playing with rage. But weren't they playing with rage week 2? Playing the team that had beat them on their homefield in the playoffs when they were 14-2? I think so.

Also, Belichick will have the Patriots motivated to the same level as the Chargers. The Chargers should never have opened their mouths (Olshanksy).

12 Last