Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by NEP Dynasty View Post
    I don't disagree that the Chargers will be playing with rage. But weren't they playing with rage week 2? Playing the team that had beat them on their homefield in the playoffs when they were 14-2? I think so.
    I was expecting a revenge factor before the week 2 game. But I was wrong, and could have known if I had paid closer attention to comments by the Chargers. That's another reason why I mentioned the 2005 game, because LT specifically mentioned that the Chargers already knew they could beat the Pats on their field. His angle was that they had nothing to prove. Their focus, where the Pats are concerned, was on the post season.

So in that light, Olshansky now says: "Trust me. They know what's coming."

That's not some dumb statement by a backup safety, as with the Steelers. That's a matter of fact statement.

swede96
    swede96's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    For the record, excellent point about the Baltimore game! Lowly Baltimore played with RAGE, and should have won the game SU.

(but for the ridiculous refs on that final drive..)

You couldn't have come up with a better game to illustrate my point.

Ahh...I think it was their coach calling that time out that really f*cked them. Still, they could have turned that around, but the let their RAGE get the best of them. Sometimes rage isn't such a good thing. If a team is up, rage can keep them going, but when their down, the rage takes over and they start screwing up.

swede96

Let me give it shot. If you would have read my response to the same question, you could have known that I referred to the 2 year old game precisely because of all the emphasis on the week 2 game in the media. Neither game matters a whole lot.

----------------------
    Full disclosure. I'm already positive for and out of this game. I got +800 for the Chargers and traded out of it. That meant that the Chargers would have to win only one of out eight meetings to play even... Gotta love media-driven public consensus.
    Okay, fair enough...I didn't quite understand the post where you explained that...I think you forgot a "because" or something in there. My fault, I should have looked closer. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to look at two teams past together when discussing/debating who will win.

swede96

Its the f*cking NFL. These are the most competitive people in the world. You think these guys dont play with rage every game?
    Actually, it looks like some *cough*RVAVENS*cough*EAGLES*cough* only play with rage when they're up against the Pats. I wonder what the Ravens' record would have been if they had played that hard every game...

swede96

I'm adding this rage to SD's ability to pass rush (see Pats games against Eagles and Giants), and force turnovers, and I'm really starting to like the picture; because talent-wise the Patriots have nothing over the Chargers. The edge the Patriots bring is their coaching staff.
    I think you are very wrong there, buddy...to to each his own.

Cool genius has gotten the Pats to 17-0, so I wouldn't discount it just yet. If you think for one second that Belichick hasn't been drilling his team on how to play against "rage" since that Ravens game, you are sorely mistaken.

I say the Pats will take it...and not just because I am a fan...because rage can be your worst enemy at the end of a game. Brady's ability to stay cool and collected at the very end of tough games has won us a few. You HAVE to outplay the Pats for the full 60. The Ravens proved that 59:14 doesn't cut it. I don't care how mad you are...sustaining the level of rage needed to beat the Pats for 60 minutes of football is damn near impossible.

swede96

Also, Belichick will have the Patriots motivated to the same level as the Chargers. The Chargers should never have opened their mouths (Olshanksy).
    Yeah, WHY hasn't anyone learned yet?! Everytime a player starts talking trash like that I have flashbacks of December 9th....most fun game EVER!

GAR-UN-TEE! GAR-UN-TEE! GAR-UN-TEE! GAR-UN-TEE! GAR-UN-TEE!

then my favorite..

Annnnthonnnyyyy!!! Annnnthonnnyyyy!!! Annnnthonnnyyyy!!! Annnnthonnnyyyy!!!

swede96

I was expecting a revenge factor before the week 2 game. But I was wrong, and could have known if I had paid closer attention to comments by the Chargers. That's another reason why I mentioned the 2005 game, because LT specifically mentioned that the Chargers already knew they could beat the Pats on their field. His angle was that they had nothing to prove. Their focus, where the Pats are concerned, was on the post season.

So in that light, Olshansky now says: "Trust me. They know what's coming."

That's not some dumb statement by a backup safety, as with the Steelers. That's a matter of fact statement.

L.T. is a toolbag. Just sayin'

NEP Dynasty
    NEP Dynasty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

"The Patriots have nothing talent wise on the Chargers"

Bet on the Chargers ML this weekend, and lose money, be my guest. I'll even book the bet for you if you want, at better odds than you are getting at your book. Through this thread and your insane statements, you have proven your knowledge of football is very very poor.

outdrawed
    outdrawed's Avatar Become A Pro!

DH,

The only thing I agree with you on is the fact that people keep referencing Week 2 as if it has any relevance on this week's game. It really doesn't. I think we all know SD is a different team now than they were then.

That being said, you are putting far too much emphasis on other factors that have little to no relevance. First is SD beating Indy "more convincingly" than the Pats did. One, I'm not sure if that's true, and they certainly didn't beat them more convincingly at home earlier in the season, and two, so what? It's one game.

Secondly, what is this "come in with rage" talk? You don't think the Pats are going to be playing balls out in this game as well? Both teams have a vested interest in this game. I highly doubt one team is going to play harder than the other.

outdrawed
    outdrawed's Avatar Become A Pro!

Also, regarding talent...

QB Edge: Huge Pats
    RB Edge: Chargers
    WR/TE Edge: Pats (Gates and Moss are probably about even. After that, you gotta give the edge to Welker, Stallworth, Watson over Jackson and Chambers)
    OL Edge: Pats
    DL Edge: Pats
    LB Edge: Chargers
    DB Edge: Chargers

ritehook
    ritehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

Secondly, what is this "come in with rage" talk? You don't think the Pats are going to be playing balls out in this game as well? Both teams have a vested interest in this game. I highly doubt one team is going to play harder than the other - outdrawed

This is basically correct.

Emotion has a place in most sports, tho generally a bit less on the pro level than in college.

Tho at this stage, with two pro teams in a championship game, emotion is either no factor, or a negaive one. If SD is too keyed up, it's a neg, not a pos.

If SD wins this game, it will be due to turnovers and the alwasys present ingredient of Luck (with that oddly shaped ball) not "rage."

Two 3TZ trips in two weeks, front-line injuries, vs an undefeated team that knows how to win these games, and who are at home in weather the Bolts tradiionally do not perform well in ------ it would be a huge upset if they came out on top.

Still, I won't bet any pro football team anywhere laying two TDs. With the weather and likely stiff wind, the Under may be a better bet. But it's a "watch" game, not a rational betting one

Chilltown Boyz
    Chilltown Boyz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Something to think about Chargers vs. PATs

I don't know if this has any relavance to this game, but I've been watching all the playoff games, since I can't remeber, maybe back in the 49er days with Montana to Rice, hahahaha, but if anyone has noticed, all the teams that go to the SUPERBOWL game always cover all their playoff games.
    For example, last year, the Colts covered all their playoff games on the way to winning the Superbowl. This leads me to believe that NE will not win the Superbowl and will be heartbroken somehow by 1 of the teams. The year before the Colts, it was the Steelers who covered all their playoff games on rout to the Superbowl. So this leads me to believe the San Diego chargers may be able to cover the spread against the PATs.

The Pats did it in the 2004/2005 season, covering all there playoff games before the SUPERBOWL GAME. If you are still pondering who to choose, take Chargers according to my theory if you are so confused.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

i love the pats in this game

rivers/gates r both doubtful and even if they do play their playing like 40% at best..take pats

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by outdrawed View Post
    Also, regarding talent...

QB Edge: Huge Pats
    RB Edge: Chargers
    WR/TE Edge: Pats (Gates and Moss are probably about even. After that, you gotta give the edge to Welker, Stallworth, Watson over Jackson and Chambers)
    OL Edge: Pats
    DL Edge: Pats
    LB Edge: Chargers
    DB Edge: Chargers
    Well I'd disagree there, I think Moss is more talented than Gates. Heck, Belichick who never really speaks highly about his players, went ahead and called Randy the smartest receiver he's ever worked with. Brady said he understands more about double coverage than he does, so I don't know that I'd consider Antonio on the same level, but he's very very good. The guy is a "TE" but could be any teams #1 guy, unless Randy Moss happens to be on that team.

Either way, Gates hasn't practiced at all the entire week, and it's doubtful he's even gonna play. If he does, I don't see him as being a big factor anyway not being anywhere near 100%.

NEP Dynasty

Nice "rage" by the Chargers today. Super bowl baby.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14413

yeah, Bruins vs Rangers for the Super Bowl baby!!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

As I mentioned elsewhere, the Chargers were in a position to win the game but couldn't get it done in the red zone (3x) without LT. They intercepted Brady three times, only gave up 21 pts, and did it with a hurt QB and without LT. Plus they covered. Couldn't ask for more. To me the teams were very evenly matched. But I hadn't counted on LT not playing. The decisive elements were inability to get TD's, and later Maroney taking control. But to speak in the words of Dennis Green: 'The Patriots are who we thought they were'.

Where the Patriots impressive? No. Best team I've ever seen? No. Can they win the Superbowl? Yes. So good luck in that game if you're a Pats fan. I will almost certainly be on the Giants.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-20-08 at 10:31 PM.

swede96

Hey, L.T. nice pout.

swede96

I can't believe no one is talking about LT's utter lack of class by siting on the bench pouting instead of cheering on his team....

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

LT is a crybaby, pure and simple. He's used to getting his way. I don't think SD would have done much better with him. They won without him against Indy just fine.

swede96

Oh, I don't think they would have either...but I think he'll be implying they would have for years to come.

NEP Dynasty

DH is sure that if LT wasn't injured, the Chargers would have easily won the game

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Not easily. What I am sure about is that the Chargers wouldn't have been stopped three times in the 10 yard zone with LT.

What I am also sure about is that you are vastly overestimating your beloved Patriots. 'Best team ever'... lol. They came within a hair of losing against the Chargers with a hobbled QB and, what I hadn't expected, without their best player.

Brady had nothing on Rivers. Ultimately it came down to the Patriots having Maroney, and the Chargers not having LT. You decide who's the better of those two. (if you're not sure, check LT's records against the Patriots).

Anyway. Injuries are part of football and I have no problem with that. Only thing that matters is that the Charger ticket cashed. Other than that, I sincerely doubt that I'd be blowing my horn about the Chargers if the Patriots had been forced to play without their best player. That Brady guy.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-22-08 at 06:16 PM.

NEP Dynasty

If the Patriots go 19-0 and you don't consider them the best team in football history, you have some real issues.

swede96

Brady had one of his worst playoff performances ever...and still won. Just sayin'

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

It doesn't matter how many turn overs your defense can generate if your offense can't get it in the endzone. Well it does but you know what I mean.

First 12