Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9590

Mike Tomlin's critical errors

This guy miscued twice big time in this game. Down 28-23, after the penalty, you have to kick the extra point to get it to 28-24. There was still 10 minutes left and both teams were scoring again in this game. What are the odds of passing it 12 yards to get the 2-pointer?

If he gets the 1 point, he can kick after the next TD and they lead 31-28 instead of going for 2, missing and only being up 1.

Then, up 29-28, what was that 3rd down play with Roesthberger giving himself up basically on a QB keeper when they needed 5 yards? You gotta try and make the first down, especially with Jax needing only a FG to win.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

agreed, however i would have kicked the FG from the 2 when he chose to go for it and they got the pass interference call. So its just too easy to pick apart decisions after the fact. Don't mind the going for two because it was an agressive call, however the QB run was a consevative call and that would rank as his biggest mistake. I was calling for a PA rollout having hines ward crossing and try and settle TE Heath Miller on the hash.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Inexperience, that's what it amounts to. Mistakes you'd expect a rookie coach to make. I'll take it a step further though. I think the guy is not all there. Not all good defensive coaches translate into successful head coaches, and I don't know that if I was Dan Rooney I'd trust this guy steering my ship for the remainder of his contract.

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    This guy miscued twice big time in this game. Down 28-23, after the penalty, you have to kick the extra point to get it to 28-24. There was still 10 minutes left and both teams were scoring again in this game. What are the odds of passing it 12 yards to get the 2-pointer?

If he gets the 1 point, he can kick after the next TD and they lead 31-28 instead of going for 2, missing and only being up 1.

Then, up 29-28, what was that 3rd down play with Roesthberger giving himself up basically on a QB keeper when they needed 5 yards? You gotta try and make the first down, especially with Jax needing only a FG to win.

I 100% agree with everything you just said. The 3rd down call was flat out horrible. You have to go for the first down, Pitt at the time still had all 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning. So if they threw an incomplete pass so what Jags are going to get the ball at around the 50 only needing 20 yards to get in range. I dont think eating clock and playing conservative on that 3rd down play was a smart move.

And I agree he should have just kicked the XP especially when it was from the 12 yard line! Are you kidding me?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If they had let Garrad score a touchdown instead of tackling him at the 5 yd line with 2 min to go on 1st and goal they could have won the game with the way Jags defense was playing the second half.

If I was coaching I'll rather give my team time to score a TD with an organized drive rather than relying on a missed 25 FG to win the game.

Easier said than done though.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

There were so many mistakes in this game from both sides that a few coaching errors could hardly have made a difference. Stop Garrard on 4th and 2 and we're talking about the greatest comeback in playoff history.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    There were so many mistakes in this game from both sides that a few coaching errors could hardly have made a difference. Stop Garrard on 4th and 2 and we're talking about the greatest comeback in playoff history.
    1993 NFL playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and the Houston Oilers

Gundog
    Gundog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

What if ? I agree both of the coaches would of lost playing tic tac toe, chess, checkers or Corn Hole. Either way they earn more than you or I. So do the players.
    What it boils down to is Defense. Add some speed, desire, and again WHAT IF? I should of when i wanted to. But now i cant.
    I lost this one to the Spread. Sunday i will add another pad to my pocket.
    Ben come back to Oxford Ohio, ill buy you another drink

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post

I think it would have been the biggest 4th quarter comeback ever

greek
    greek's Avatar Become A Pro!

they were gonna lose anyway , pitt is old news pollsters wanted jags , they might play brady

armyoflovers
    Robyn + 3.5 men
    armyoflovers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post

This sounds like racially-motivated diatribe vs Mike Tomlin. Are you saying that black coaches arent suited to coach in the NFL?

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post

Yeah Dark Horse really dropped the ball on that one.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by armyoflovers View Post
    This sounds like racially-motivated diatribe vs Mike Tomlin. Are you saying that black coaches arent suited to coach in the NFL?
    where de he say Tomlin is black?

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13658

Strangest thing.....I keep reading and rereading the original post, but I still don't see the words "Black", "African-American", "ebonic", or any term related to race, color or ethnicity. I will nonetheless continue to go over Seattle Slew's post with a fine tooth comb, as it is no doubt dripping with racist intent that I am obviously overlooking.....

armyoflovers
    Robyn + 3.5 men

when i read it what I culled from it was that black men cant coach. Nobody talked about Crack Del Rios decision to go away from the run in 2nd half did they?

King Parlay
    King Parlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 29

when i read it what I culled from it was that black men cant coach. Nobody talked about Crack Del Rios decision to go away from the run in 2nd half did they?
    Thanks Al Sharpton, I didn't know you bet football.

armyoflovers
    Robyn + 3.5 men

beware of the Brothahood, King Parlay, you racist pig white honkey pasty-skinned wanker.

King Parlay
    King Parlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 29

beware of the Brothahood, King Parlay, you racist pig white honkey pasty-skinned wanker.
    LOL, OK!

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Did it occur to you that maybe the original poster bet the Steelers ML and that's why he wanted to start a thread about Tomlin's errors during the game or he is a Steelers fan?

If you want to start a thread about Del Rio being a bad coach go ahead and we can all commend on that.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13658

What I have culled from the above post is that this sounds like a racially motivated diatribe against pig white honky pasty-skinned wankers.....But maybe I'm reading into it too much.....

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If they had let Garrad score a touchdown instead of tackling him at the 5 yd line with 2 min to go on 1st and goal they could have won the game with the way Jags defense was playing the second half.

If I was coaching I'll rather give my team time to score a TD with an organized drive rather than relying on a missed 25 FG to win the game.

Easier said than done though.

First off, I agree with what Seattle Slew said... The 2 point conversion attempt from the 12 had me fuming (I bet the Steelers ML). I mean, go down 4, hold them to a FG and it's still a TD game or hold them without scoring and score a TD to go up 3. I had a small problem with them going for the 2 initially, but from the 12 was nutty. And the 3rd down play was horrific.

That said, pavyracer's comment above brought up a point that I kept making to my wife as we watched the game: LET HIM SCORE!!! If they let Garrard score, they have a full complement of TO's to work with and nearly 2 minutes to work with... I know the football mentality is to not let the other team score. Period. However, in that case, once he gets inside the 10, he should be waltzing into the endzone. If anything, get behind him and push his ass in. 2 minutes and 3 timeouts to score a TD or 29 seconds and no timeouts to get 3, which would you rather have? ---that was a major f**kup.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by babaoriley View Post
    First off, I agree with what Seattle Slew said... The 2 point conversion attempt from the 12 had me fuming (I bet the Steelers ML). I mean, go down 4, hold them to a FG and it's still a TD game or hold them without scoring and score a TD to go up 3. I had a small problem with them going for the 2 initially, but from the 12 was nutty. And the 3rd down play was horrific.

That said, pavyracer's comment above brought up a point that I kept making to my wife as we watched the game: LET HIM SCORE!!! If they let Garrard score, they have a full complement of TO's to work with and nearly 2 minutes to work with... I know the football mentality is to not let the other team score. Period. However, in that case, once he gets inside the 10, he should be waltzing into the endzone. If anything, get behind him and push his ass in. 2 minutes and 3 timeouts to score a TD or 29 seconds and no timeouts to get 3, which would you rather have? ---that was a major f**kup.

That's why you and I baba are couch coaches but football may be the only game that whoever has the ball last can win the game if they are within 7 points. This strategy will not work in soccer, basketball, hockey or any other game I can think off.

matskralc
    matskralc's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can't wait to see the replays of Tomlin running out on the field to tackle Garrad at the 5...

Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

oops - I double posted!
    Last edited by Sportsgirl; 01-06-08 at 08:30 PM.

Sportsgirl

I agree with some of what has been said here about Tomlin's decision making. I think going for 2 was originally a good plan - and, without a suspect holding call that even on replay i never saw, Ward had the catch and Pitt had 2. however, when backed up 10 yards by the penalty, I think it would have been wise to kick it. The second 2-point attempt was obvious - they had to go for it as 2 gives them 31 and ties the Jags if they get a field goal, which they ultimately did.

As far as the 3rd and 5 when Ben ran the ball - seems Garrard ran a similar play on the next series for the Jags and got 32 yards out of it. If that play had worked for Pittsburgh to the tune of 32 yards, it would have been genius, no?

I think the main thing that came out of this match up for me is that Tomlin had his team ready to win in the second half - something he has not been consistant in doing this last quarter or so of the season. Tomlin is a rookie and he has made some rookie mistakes, but he rallied a club with significant injuries to an almost-win yesterday and that bolstered my confidence in the Rooney's choice. Afterall, there is no other place in NFL that has had only 3 head coaches in the last 30+ years. Add that stat to 5 Lombardi's and I think the Rooney's can stand on their laurels as far as their ability to pick a quality head coach.

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsgirl View Post
    As far as the 3rd and 5 when Ben ran the ball - seems Garrard ran a similar play on the next series for the Jags and got 32 yards out of it. If that play had worked for Pittsburgh to the tune of 32 yards, it would have been genius, no?
    Gerrard running the football and Roth running it is two different animals. Gerrard is a better athlete. Ben runs the 40 in 5 flat or worse. He didn't even follow his blocks. He'd never get east and west on any defense. They could have come up with something better than that. However, I don't think Tomlin called that play but he did let it happen.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsgirl View Post
    I agree with some of what has been said here about Tomlin's decision making. I think going for 2 was originally a good plan - and, without a suspect holding call that even on replay i never saw, Ward had the catch and Pitt had 2. however, when backed up 10 yards by the penalty, I think it would have been wise to kick it. The second 2-point attempt was obvious - they had to go for it as 2 gives them 31 and ties the Jags if they get a field goal, which they ultimately did.

I think the main thing that came out of this match up for me is that Tomlin had his team ready to win in the second half - something he has not been consistant in doing this last quarter or so of the season. Tomlin is a rookie and he has made some rookie mistakes, but he rallied a club with significant injuries to an almost-win yesterday and that bolstered my confidence in the Rooney's choice. Afterall, there is no other place in NFL that has had only 3 head coaches in the last 30+ years. Add that stat to 5 Lombardi's and I think the Rooney's can stand on their laurels as far as their ability to pick a quality head coach.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    Gerrard running the football and Roth running it is two different animals. Gerrard is a better athlete. Ben runs the 40 in 5 flat or worse. He didn't even follow his blocks. He'd never get east and west on any defense. They could have come up with something better than that. However, I don't think Tomlin called that play but he did let it happen.

Are you talking about the same Ben Roethlisberger that I'm talking about? The guy I meant plays for the Steelers and has been remarkably mobile considering his size when I've watched him play - most play-by-play announcers have commented the same. Giving him a chance to run the ball is, IMO, no different than giving the ball off to Garrard in an equally critical situation.

imgv94

Sportsgirl is sexy

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Exactly how much credit do we give him for "rallying" the team in the second half compared to the boneheaded passes Garrard made giving the Steelers chance after chance to redeem themselves after their embarrassing first half effort?

Strap a helmet on me and I'd have picked off one of those, Garrard was making very poor decisions, guy could've made Jason David look like Champ Bailey. Fact remains, what I've said all along, and should have listened to myself.. the Steelers have NO offensive line, No Special teams, and Najeh Davenport couldn't walk five feet without stubbing his fat toes and missing some series...

Let's be realistic, if the Steelers played in Detroit and didn't have such a respected franchise they'd be written off as what they are, an AVERAGE team... and one area I was wrong on, and I'll admit it, is they are lucky to have Big Ben.. because without that classy, heck of a player, they'd be teetering on below average....

And Mike Tomlin is an idiot, beyond his rookie head coaching mistakes, I don't think he lasts in Pittsburgh. I'm done now.
    Last edited by SBR Lou; 01-06-08 at 08:51 PM.

imgv94

Mike Tomlin is an African American coach.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    Exactly how much credit do we give him for "rallying" the team in the second half compared to the boneheaded passes Garrard made giving the Steelers chance after chance to redeem themselves after their embarrassing first half effort?
    If you'll recall my friend, somewhere here I did post (or was it in my column? can't remember) that I felt Garrard would be part of the Jags downfall in this game as he has zero playoff experience and this is his first full season as a starter. Yes, he made critical errors, but that is part of the game, correct?

As far as giving Tomlin credit for rallying the team, what I said was that I was more impressed with his second-half preparations as this has been and area in need of some work for him during this latter part of the season.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94 View Post
    Mike Tomlin is an African American coach.
    Based on your last two posts, might I say that you are a very observant person.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94 View Post
    Sportsgirl is sexy
    In 2 weeks I will give a fair assessment of these rumors.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by pokernut9999 View Post
    In 2 weeks I will give a fair assessment of these rumors.
    Should I wear my big purple hat, or no?

12 Last